Red Flags

Kate
Captain
Captain

Red Flags

Post by Kate »

"Back in the day," boaters held up a red flag to warn others that a skier/tuber was in the water. These days, that warning seems to be passe. Now, if I see a boat stopped, I have to guess and hunt for a bobbing head.

Is this damn-the-warnings attitude a wider issue? Or am I just around a bunch of boaters who don't know/don't care?
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Red Flags

Post by bruceb58 »

In Lake Tahoe and Big Bear Lake, everyone we see uses the red flag.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Cctvdc
Commander
Commander

Post by Cctvdc »

Never seen this but I think it should be standard practice.
kas232ca
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by kas232ca »

We have noticed this as well. If we see a boat stopped (particularly a surf boat), I assume there is someone in the water nearby.
2006 Cobalt 232 8.1 420hp.
Lake Havasu, AZ
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Titaniumboy »

Our flags have always been orange?
2007 Cobalt 240 with Merc 496 MAG Bravo 3
1977 18’ Beachcraft with Ford 302 V8 OMC 190
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Post by dsthomas »

In Mo the flags have always been orange and I feel like people are pretty good at using them. The problem is other boaters basically ignore them. What I hate is when we have a skier and a boat follows in our wake. It's very unsafe and it happens frequently.
Kansas City, MO
2011 242 VP 5.7 GXi (Sold)
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2020 R7 Surf VP 380 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

"Our flags have always been orange?"

My understanding is that the flag can be either red or orange.
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

I haven't noticed people using them at our lake. A lot of people don't even know about the Diver Down flag either.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

In Wisconsin is not a law. Missouri it is.
I use it here because it's a great tool to keep the kids safe. I'm sure half of the Captain's here have no idea what it means. I think anytime you're towing a person it should be raised.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
mdadgar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mdadgar »

The flags are pretty common around here (California).

And I HATE it when another boat follows in my wake when I am towing someone (boarder, tube, etc). So dangerous, so unnecessary.

- Mark
2013 Cobalt A25, 6.0 VP 380hp "More Cowbell"
Monte Sereno, CA (winter) | Lake Don Pedro (summer)
Boats are for when I'm not racing cars
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

I notice the surfers are better at using them around here.
At least when someone is waving a big orange flag, it makes people think - well it should and naturally slow down or go around
CS23
NautiWeasel
Commander
Commander

Post by NautiWeasel »

Not sure how I missed this late last season, but it was very timely then.
My crew and I religiously used the orange skier down flag when starting or retrieving a downed skier or tuber (etc.). We also ALWAYS use the flag when we are stopped / at anchor, and we have someone around us in the water.
That was until Labor Day weekend, 2023, when we were at anchor, and multiple people in the water. I had KS Dept of Wildlife (boat cops) come to our boat, and notify me that I was actually flying the flag incorrectly. The orange flag should only be flown when you are actively pulling a person on skis/towable/board of some kind. NOT when you are at anchor, and there are people in the water. I didn't let them know that I didn't agree with that law (agree as in I didn't like it) but that I would comply.

I actually prefer that it be flown at all times if someone from your boat is in the water, but not willing to get pulled over multiple times to continue to fly it that way.

I'm sure other states are different.
Greg,
Nauti Weasel
2014 Cobalt 242 w/380hp Volvo Penta
SOLD: 2007 Rinker Captiva 192 w/200 hp Volvo
SOLD: 2005 Beachcomber Islander 26 pontoon w/90 hp Merc.
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

NautiWeasel wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:07 pm Not sure how I missed this late last season, but it was very timely then.
My crew and I religiously used the orange skier down flag when starting or retrieving a downed skier or tuber (etc.). We also ALWAYS use the flag when we are stopped / at anchor, and we have someone around us in the water.
That was until Labor Day weekend, 2023, when we were at anchor, and multiple people in the water. I had KS Dept of Wildlife (boat cops) come to our boat, and notify me that I was actually flying the flag incorrectly. The orange flag should only be flown when you are actively pulling a person on skis/towable/board of some kind. NOT when you are at anchor, and there are people in the water. I didn't let them know that I didn't agree with that law (agree as in I didn't like it) but that I would comply.

I actually prefer that it be flown at all times if someone from your boat is in the water, but not willing to get pulled over multiple times to continue to fly it that way.

Seems like it would be obvious if you were actively pulling someone - it's when you're no longer actively pulling them that they're at risk!
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
NautiWeasel
Commander
Commander

Post by NautiWeasel »

jhnmdahl wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:28 am
NautiWeasel wrote: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:07 pm Not sure how I missed this late last season, but it was very timely then.

Seems like it would be obvious if you were actively pulling someone - it's when you're no longer actively pulling them that they're at risk!
Yep, my thoughts exactly, but I wasn't going to argue with law enforcement. That's never a good idea, or a winning option.
Greg,
Nauti Weasel
2014 Cobalt 242 w/380hp Volvo Penta
SOLD: 2007 Rinker Captiva 192 w/200 hp Volvo
SOLD: 2005 Beachcomber Islander 26 pontoon w/90 hp Merc.
Tandjmei8
Commander
Commander

Post by Tandjmei8 »

NautiWeasel wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:45 am
jhnmdahl wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 10:28 am

Yep, my thoughts exactly, but I wasn't going to argue with law enforcement. That's never a good idea, or a winning option.
Good discussion. I’m actually opposite on this one. I’ve had other boaters come up to me to say that if we’re anchored and swimming, then we need to have the flag up, which is incorrect. The flag is to signal to other boaters that there is a skier down, so other boats need to look further away from the boat - scan the area. If I’m anchored and they don’t notice a 25’ boat, then I don’t think the orange flag is going to help them…they’ve already broken a lot of boating safety rules by that point.
2020 Cobalt R5 - current
2012 Cobalt 242 - previous
2016 Malibu 23 LSV - previous
2014 Malibu 24 MXZ - previous
2013 Yamaha 242 - previous
2008 Cypress Cay Pontoon - previous
2006 Bayliner 185 - previous