Extended warranty 2018 R7 Surf

(R3, R5, R7, R30, R35)
fastback23
Ensign
Ensign

Extended warranty 2018 R7 Surf

Post by fastback23 »

I’m in the process is purchasing a 2018 R7 surf with 162 hours and the 430 Volvo engine. The dealer is offering a Brunswick 3 year extended warranty for an additional cost. The warranty is about 4k for the motor and stern drive and 6k to add the surf system. Is an extended warranty worth it? Is Brunswick a good company for warranty repairs? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Extended warranty 2018 R7 Surf

Post by AsLan7 »

So glad you found us fastback23 (mustang fan?)

Extended warranties.....well you are just buying insurance to cover a risk that you can't cover yourself. It also offers folks peace of mind by paying for maintenance up front (or through a monthly premium). So in that respect, everyone has a different opinion on whether it is needed or not. Brunswick is the parent company of Merc and also went head to head with Cobalt at one time when Cobalt sued them for copying their drop down swim platform. Being that you have a Volvo (merc's competitor) and a Cobalt, filing a claim may possibly be quite an interesting experience for you.

Others will chime in shortly.
Any pics?

And welcome aboard mate.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Zuul
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Zuul »

If you were buying a Sea Ray, I’d be more inclined to say yes, get a Brunswick warranty.

I think of it this way; does the warranty company have anything to gain by making you happy? (Like customer loyalty?) Or is it in their best interest to take your money and do whatever they can to keep it? They don’t sell these things out of the kindness of their hearts.
2019 R7
VP 380hp
Cctvdc
Commander
Commander

Post by Cctvdc »

I have a 2018 R7 that we purchased new and did take out the extended warranty from Brunswick. I did ask prior to purchase knowing they were associated with Mercury and confirmed coverage on our Volvo. We have had two claims that were seamless and handled completely by our dealer. If I was planning on keeping the boat for only a few years I would have not purchased, but we plan on keeping our boat for many years. Our claims have more than paid for what we purchased the warranty for. I also checked that I would be capable of using it at other dealers in case we had an issue boating away from home which we do in the summer. For us it was peace of mind and I would do it again.
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

I've never had a good experience with any kind of extended warranty, be it home appliances, cars, purchases from Best Buy. All have either found a way not to pay, or not fully cover what I thought should have been covered. Best Buy warranty would not fix item because the original packaging was not used.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
billk2632
Captain
Captain

Post by billk2632 »

Manufacture extended warranty yes.
Third party warranty never.
1979 Correct Craft Ski-Tique - Previous
1948 Chris Craft Custom Runabout - Oh man to have that one back!
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Since I can afford to pay for out of warranty repairs, I chose to insure myself. Warranty companies make money for a reason.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA