HELP! With my new R7

(R3, R5, R7, R30, R35)
george0984
Ensign
Ensign

HELP! With my new R7

Post by george0984 »

Hey folks, I just bought a new to me 2018 R7. I had a 2016 R7 and sold it a couple years ago and just had to have another one (I wish I hadn't sold the old one). Anyway the 2018 has a few changes that I need some help with please:
  • The tower is the forward folding exactly like my 2016, but my 2016 had a switch to lower the tower electronically. I can't find the switch on the 2018 and I didn't know if this tower was made without the electronic lowering feature. I removed the keeper screws and the tower seemed stiff to try and lower, so I didn't want to damage an electric motor if it is electric and I can't find the switch. Anyone know if they made these towers electronic and manual, and how to tell?
  • The 2018 build sheet lists an onboard air compressor with mount, but I can't find it and don't know where it would even have been mounted. Anyone got a picture of the factory one mounted in the boat?
  • I added underwater lights to my 2016 by using the boat plug light and wiring it into the factory harness, but I think I'd like to add to the 2018 by adding factory style lighting. Can anyone share a photo of the factory lights mounted to the hull? I'd like a shot showing their exact location.
  • I'll be replacing the 2018 Sea Grass with new AquaMarine Decking very soon. Anyone interested in the Sea Grass? It's in mint condition.
  • Lastly, my 2016 had a dual selector battery switch (1 Battery On, 2 Batteries On, and OFF). The 2018 just has Off and On. Anyone ever changed a single to a dual and is this difficult?
Thanks in advance! So glad to be back in the Cobalt family!
Cctvdc
Commander
Commander

Re: HELP! With my new R7

Post by Cctvdc »

We have a 2018 R7 and our wakeboard tower is manual. We just unscrew the keeper screws and pull down on tower until it locks into down position. It does take a little muscle to pull it down. When we ordered the boat I don’t recall an electric option. Our air compressor is mounted under the aft port storage area where the battery selector is. We have dual batteries and it charges both batteries while running, and when anchored or at dock it just draws from house battery and saves the second battery for starting.

What color is the sea grass I may be interested ?
george0984
Ensign
Ensign

Post by george0984 »

Cctvdc wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:49 am We have a 2018 R7 and our wakeboard tower is manual. We just unscrew the keeper screws and pull down on tower until it locks into down position. It does take a little muscle to pull it down. When we ordered the boat I don’t recall an electric option. Our air compressor is mounted under the aft port storage area where the battery selector is. We have dual batteries and it charges both batteries while running, and when anchored or at dock it just draws from house battery and saves the second battery for starting.

What color is the sea grass I may be interested ?
The build sheet lists the Seagrass as "Floor Covering Seagrass, Oyster (gray)". Does yours have UW Lighting?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Regarding the dual battery thing, I used Blue Sea's Add-A-Battery kit. Lots of threads on that here, including:

viewtopic.php?f=21&t=3866

viewtopic.php?t=3729

viewtopic.php?p=84414

Regarding the compressor, it's often under a rear seat or in the engine bay, but Cobalt says it should be in the left side cockpit storage (under seat) on your boat. A lot of people don't love the MetroVac one that came with the boats for a long time, and have replaced them over time with newer/better things. See:

viewtopic.php?p=77630

Regarding the arch, mine is manual (but not an R7), and it moves pretty freely once the two big hand screws on either side are removed. If it's electric, I've heard some models may have a switch on the aft walk through if it's not on the dash somewhere.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Cctvdc
Commander
Commander

Post by Cctvdc »

I did get the underwater lighting on our build, I was also thinking of installing it. So keep us informed on your progress I may follow you. Our sea grass is a light brown so the gray will not work. Someone will definitely be interested in buying it.
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

george0984 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:08 am Lastly, my 2016 had a dual selector battery switch (1 Battery On, 2 Batteries On, and OFF). The 2018 just has Off and On. Anyone ever changed a single to a dual and is this difficult?

Does this new battery switch look like this one? That a dual circuit battery switch so it basically has two switches inside...one for the house and one for the engine. You want to keep this type switch instead of going to a 1/2/BOTH switch.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/5511e/ ... ery_Switch
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Post by Lifelongbtr »

I may be interested in the sea grass, mine is gray and not sure if they made more than one gray, mine is a 2019, I’ll look at the build sheet. What do you want for it?
george0984
Ensign
Ensign

Post by george0984 »

Lifelongbtr wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 10:51 pm I may be interested in the sea grass, mine is gray and not sure if they made more than one gray, mine is a 2019, I’ll look at the build sheet. What do you want for it?
Haven't given that much thought yet. Not sure what others are selling for. Build sheet shows the seagrass to be a $1650 add on. Maybe 50% of that?
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

bruceb58 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 7:11 pm
george0984 wrote: Fri Nov 17, 2023 11:08 am Lastly, my 2016 had a dual selector battery switch (1 Battery On, 2 Batteries On, and OFF). The 2018 just has Off and On. Anyone ever changed a single to a dual and is this difficult?

Does this new battery switch look like this one? That a dual circuit battery switch so it basically has two switches inside...one for the house and one for the engine. You want to keep this type switch instead of going to a 1/2/BOTH switch.

https://www.bluesea.com/products/5511e/ ... ery_Switch
Definitely will want to keep the new setup assuming you have the switch shown here. There is also an ACR that goes with it. This setup is fool proof. Never have to switch between batteries while anchored or underway. It does it for you. Will always ensure that both batteries are charged. Just keep it to the ON position and never worry. Throw it to OFF when you will be stored for any length of time.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
george0984
Ensign
Ensign

Post by george0984 »

Thanks for all the info guys!! I'd still like to see a picture of the factory location for the underwater lights. Anyone got a photo?? R3, R5, R7, any of them would work.
Thanks!
billk2632
Captain
Captain

Post by billk2632 »

This is my R5.
IMG_0900.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1979 Correct Craft Ski-Tique - Previous
1948 Chris Craft Custom Runabout - Oh man to have that one back!
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

I put in my own on my R5 but I don't have trim tabs.
PXL_20210113_190614430.jpg
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
george0984
Ensign
Ensign

Post by george0984 »

Thanks everyone!!!