Blue led accent lights

(R3, R5, R7, R30, R35)
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Blue led accent lights

Post by Titaniumboy »

Do you have any other electrical schematics? This is only one of several electrical drawings for your boat.

Can you trace where the four wires are going? I’m assuming the rheostat is on or underneath the dash?
2007 Cobalt 240 with Merc 496 MAG Bravo 3
1977 18’ Beachcraft with Ford 302 V8 OMC 190
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Jdflyer wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:12 am So I have no power going to the rheostat and all the circuit breakers in the starboard bow storage area are ok with each breaker receiving power.

All the aft circuit breakers (by the Battery on off switch) are also fine.

How do I go about chasing this problem. I got the wiring diagram (attached) from cobalt but it is vague on how it receives power. Total of 4 wires going into rheostat with 2 of them red wires labeled + in and the other + out

R5 2017 Main(2).pdf
The schematic looks like pins 28 and 29 on the hdp26-24-31s connector (see link to connector photo below) carry the power? Start by seeing what does and doesn't have power, starting at one end (e.g. the light) and working your way to the other end (e.g. the battery). If there's power at the light, of course, the light itself is likely bad.

https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-HDP26-24-31ST.html
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Jdflyer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jdflyer »

Titaniumboy wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:26 am Do you have any other electrical schematics? This is only one of several electrical drawings for your boat.

Can you trace where the four wires are going? I’m assuming the rheostat is on or underneath the dash?
That is the only schematic I have. Emailed cobalt and this is what they were willing to give me. The four wires enter the main loom about halfway across the helm and disappear down the starboard side. I was hoping for an easy fix but fear I may have to start pulling panels.
Jdflyer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jdflyer »

jhnmdahl wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 2:15 pm
Jdflyer wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 1:12 am So I have no power going to the rheostat and all the circuit breakers in the starboard bow storage area are ok with each breaker receiving power.

All the aft circuit breakers (by the Battery on off switch) are also fine.

How do I go about chasing this problem. I got the wiring diagram (attached) from cobalt but it is vague on how it receives power. Total of 4 wires going into rheostat with 2 of them red wires labeled + in and the other + out

R5 2017 Main(2).pdf
The schematic looks like pins 28 and 29 on the hdp26-24-31s connector (see link to connector photo below) carry the power? Start by seeing what does and doesn't have power, starting at one end (e.g. the light) and working your way to the other end (e.g. the battery). If there's power at the light, of course, the light itself is likely bad.

https://www.te.com/usa-en/product-HDP26-24-31ST.html
Any idea where that connector is?
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Jdflyer wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:20 pm Any idea where that connector is?
It's quite likely to be behind the dash. I don't know your boat well, but there's probably a panel (or more) behind the seat in front of the dash that can be unscrewed to reveal what's going on in there. Opening the panels to get at the wiring is step one for sure, assuming it's not just a bad bulb or something.
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Titaniumboy »

Jdflyer wrote: Sun Jan 14, 2024 11:19 pm That is the only schematic I have. Emailed cobalt and this is what they were willing to give me. The four wires enter the main loom about halfway across the helm and disappear down the starboard side. I was hoping for an easy fix but fear I may have to start pulling panels.
I would call them again and request the “Schematic, Dash Wiring” drawing. Cobalt sent me three electrical drawings as shown in this link many years ago for my boat. viewtopic.php?t=6488

Pictures of the rheostat and the connector would be useful. Have you tested for voltage on the rheostat output?
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
Jdflyer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jdflyer »

Photos

Accent light knob, only rotates, no push
IMG_2567.jpeg
IMG_2568.jpeg
IMG_2571.jpeg
IMG_2570.jpeg
Accent light, only pos and negative, no third wire for controlling color or 4 wire for RGB -.

One of at least 4 in the boat
IMG_2577.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Thanks for illustrating that JDF. Nice job.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Titaniumboy »

Thanks for posting pictures. Try measuring for voltage after disconnecting the electrical connector.
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
Jdflyer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jdflyer »

Titaniumboy wrote: Wed Jan 17, 2024 9:41 pm Thanks for posting pictures. Try measuring for voltage after disconnecting the electrical connector.
No voltage at the connectors.
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Titaniumboy »

So no voltage between the blue and yellow wires. Dang.

Can you follow where the blue and yellow wires go to under the helm?

Are there two other wires next to the yellow and blue wires? I could not tell their colors in the pictures. Do they go to a different place than the blue and yellow wires?

As a test you could disconnect the connector and feed in 12 volts to the rheostat connector and see if anything works. Probably wouldn’t be a bad idea to have a fuse on your 12 volt test source.
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

The schematic on page one shows the blue and yellow wires going between three different connectors, and doesn't show the potentiometer, power source, or bulb. I'm wondering if they are the "adjusted" voltage and not the supply voltage, since there are two more wires going into the potentiometer. It may be hard to tell without a complete set of schematics.

Is there 12v on the other pair?
Jdflyer
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Jdflyer »

There is no voltage on any of the wires and the wires disappear into the main loam.

Yes I’ve been nervous about putting power on the line as most LEDs run at 5v. Some have a power transformer chip to convert it down.

When I get back to the boat on Saturday I’ll pull one of the lights and put a power supply on it. If that goes well I’ll put the power supply on the system at the rheostat