R5 Swim platform/Gator Step

RobL
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: R5 Swim platform/Gator Step

Post by RobL »

Tandjmei8 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:22 am
I ended up going thru a local dealer for the Gator Step, because I wasn’t happy with the templates from another company (fit was inconsistent) and I didn’t want to create a template myself. So, I just approved the fit and the logo and paid for it, so I’m hoping the Gator Step will arrive at the dealer this week or next, then schedule install a week after it arrives. Super excited (loved it on my old boat - the 242 up above in this thread).

I went with Silver Cloud top and Navy bottom and it matches my boat well (at least the swatches did). Swim platform, anchor locker, and the walkthrough (so I don’t have to unsnap the seagrass that is in the cockpit of the boat.

IMG_0464.jpeg
Awesome, I think I'll be going same route (same colors too). Good idea on swatches, I don't have a dealer nearby, I'll have to see if they can send any.
2014 Cobalt R5 with VP 380hp
2014 Chaparral H2019 previous
1991 Wellcraft 186 Eclipse previous
Home: Tyme N Tyde Marina, Woodbridge, Virginia (Potomac River)
Home away from home: Beech Hill Pond, Maine
Tandjmei8
Commander
Commander

Post by Tandjmei8 »

Ok, I got the Gator Step installed on the swim platform, walkthrough (so I don’t have to unsnap Seagrass for engine), and the bow/anchor locker. Turned out great, but have one issue. The swim step doesn’t close flush, because of the thickness of the Gator Step. It’s about 1/4-1/2” raised. Trying to figure out how much it bugs me, whether it will settle some, or whether I should go with a single layer (1 color) of Gator Step in place. Anyone have this issue before and if so, how did you address it? Thanks!
IMG_3218.jpeg
IMG_3217.jpeg
IMG_3220.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2020 Cobalt R5 - current
2012 Cobalt 242 - previous
2016 Malibu 23 LSV - previous
2014 Malibu 24 MXZ - previous
2013 Yamaha 242 - previous
2008 Cypress Cay Pontoon - previous
2006 Bayliner 185 - previous
NautiWeasel
Commander
Commander

Post by NautiWeasel »

I saw your post on the FB group as well, but I'll reply here. I'm surprised you put anything between the swim step and where it rests when folded in. I don't think there is much room at all on mine, and I know it would not sit flush, as you say yours does not. You ask about going with a single layer. Does that mean the product you have is double layer now? Will single layer allow you to have the pattern you have now? If it were me, I wouldn't put anything in that spot, but you already have it /paid for it, so maybe it's worth having and it will settle in.
Does the swim step pin still allow you to lock it in the closed position easily, or are you putting pressure on the pin the way it is now, with it not being flush?
Greg,
Nauti Weasel
2014 Cobalt 242 w/380hp Volvo Penta
SOLD: 2007 Rinker Captiva 192 w/200 hp Volvo
SOLD: 2005 Beachcomber Islander 26 pontoon w/90 hp Merc.
billk2632
Captain
Captain

Post by billk2632 »

I didn’t put anything under the swim step - only on the side that is up when it is closed.
1979 Correct Craft Ski-Tique - Previous
1948 Chris Craft Custom Runabout - Oh man to have that one back!
Tandjmei8
Commander
Commander

Post by Tandjmei8 »

NautiWeasel wrote: Fri May 10, 2024 3:19 pm I saw your post on the FB group as well, but I'll reply here. I'm surprised you put anything between the swim step and where it rests when folded in. I don't think there is much room at all on mine, and I know it would not sit flush, as you say yours does not. You ask about going with a single layer. Does that mean the product you have is double layer now? Will single layer allow you to have the pattern you have now? If it were me, I wouldn't put anything in that spot, but you already have it /paid for it, so maybe it's worth having and it will settle in.
Does the swim step pin still allow you to lock it in the closed position easily, or are you putting pressure on the pin the way it is now, with it not being flush?
Thanks for the reply! Yeah, I was wondering if it would fit. On my old 242, we did it on both sides of the flip down step and not on the indentation, so same deal here, just putting it on the indentation of the swim deck - thought it would work, but nope. For the Gator Step to get the 2 colors, there is a bottom layer (navy pattern/etching and name on mine) and a top layer (grey/silver). I think it’s close enough that if I went with only a bottom layer it would be 1/2 as thick. Then again, I might wait and see what happens with it or pull it off.

No pressure on the pin - locks closed super easy with no pressure needed.
2020 Cobalt R5 - current
2012 Cobalt 242 - previous
2016 Malibu 23 LSV - previous
2014 Malibu 24 MXZ - previous
2013 Yamaha 242 - previous
2008 Cypress Cay Pontoon - previous
2006 Bayliner 185 - previous