New to me 2020 R5

bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: New to me 2020 R5

Post by bruceb58 »

jhnmdahl wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 8:28 pm
I can't quite picture your problem, but would something like one of these (or something similar) help?

https://www.boemarine.com/helm-guardian ... 43xsv.html

https://www.garmin.com/en-US/p/702142
Spoke to Garmin...they don't make an adapter to go from the hole for the 7607xsv to a current model. I will 3D print my own adapter once the time comes. I also have a friend with a CNC milling machine that will make me one based on my 3d printed design
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

bruceb58 wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:12 pm Spoke to Garmin...they don't make an adapter to go from the hole for the 7607xsv to a current model. I will 3D print my own adapter once the time comes. I also have a friend with a CNC milling machine that will make me one based on my 3d printed design
Makes sense. When I put a new radio and remote in my boat, I ended up having to have a new dash panel made so everything would fit. Not cheap, and a bit of a pain, but it was worth it in the end to preserve the OEM look:

viewtopic.php?p=113875
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

jhnmdahl wrote: Mon Feb 05, 2024 12:17 pm Makes sense. When I put a new radio and remote in my boat, I ended up having to have a new dash panel made so everything would fit. Not cheap, and a bit of a pain, but it was worth it in the end to preserve the OEM look:
The fortunate thing is that the new Garmin 7" displays that replace the 7607XSV are a little bit smaller in both X and Y directions so it will end up fitting in the hole from the back with a small border around the unit. I think it will look just fine in the end...will just take a little work and ingenuity.

The new 743XSV also has better maps and higher resolution display!

Helps having a 3D printer and knowing how to use CAD.
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Tandjmei8
Commander
Commander

Post by Tandjmei8 »

bruceb58 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:35 pm
Tandjmei8 wrote: Sun Feb 04, 2024 4:30 pmNot sure which model I have and I’m not near the boat to poke around. Here’s a pic of the 2…
Pretty sure yours is the next model up but I believe it is also discontinued since I was looking for one to buy. It would have been close enough to fit my boat with a little bit of filing plastic!

Looked back at my emails with Dwight at Cobalt. They switched to the Garmin 742 in 2021. He said it was a major pain since they had to redesign all their instrument panels.

Of course the 742 is also discontinued so they have the 743 now. Such a pain!

If I could find a new 7607XSV new in a box sitting somewhere, I would buy it in a heartbeat.
Out of curiosity, I did a search when you sent this and found this website that said they had one. I sent them an inquiry and they sent me the email response below, so it looks like they have one. Link to site is below, email response is below that. Full disclosure - I have no history with this company, so I can’t vouch whether they are legit or not.

https://sale-marineshop.com/product/gar ... echart-g2/

Dear Tim,

Thank you for your inquiry about our products.

Yes sir, we still have stock for the GARMIN GPSMAP 7607XSV – PRELOADED LAKEVÜ HD & BLUECHART G2.

If you are interested, please make an online order or complete your information for your order below.

- Recipient Name:
- Full Address:
- City:
- Zip Postal:
- Phone Number:
- Product Order:
- Quantity:

So we can process your order as soon as possible.

Best regards,

Ms. Adelia
Sales Department
2020 Cobalt R5 - current
2012 Cobalt 242 - previous
2016 Malibu 23 LSV - previous
2014 Malibu 24 MXZ - previous
2013 Yamaha 242 - previous
2008 Cypress Cay Pontoon - previous
2006 Bayliner 185 - previous
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Tandjmei8 wrote: Wed Feb 07, 2024 7:40 am Out of curiosity, I did a search when you sent this and found this website that said they had one. I sent them an inquiry and they sent me the email response below, so it looks like they have one. Link to site is below, email response is below that. Full disclosure - I have no history with this company, so I can’t vouch whether they are legit or not.
I am going to have to see if that is one of the ones I contacted before. Regardless, thank you for the link...I may give them a call,

EDIT: They are in Australia. I will likely not buy from them.
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA