Share your move from bowrider to cruiser experience

RobL
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Share your move from bowrider to cruiser experience

Post by RobL »

Looking for personal experiences for dayboaters that enjoyed bowriders and moved up to a cruiser. What say you?

My wife & I have a 2014 R5 (arch/bimini, no enclosure) and love it on the Potomac River and on occasion trailer it to Smith Mountain Lake. The biggest detraction from our boating experience is lack of a cabin which would be useful to hide out from a sudden thundershower or take a break and enjoy the AC on a scorching day. I want to explore the Chesapeake Bay and parts of the Carolina ICW but I'm worried I'm limited with a bowrider. Conversely, I recognize there are several shortcoming I'm concerned about with a cruiser:
- losing bow seating area
- aft cabin may not be conducive for a good nights sleep (2 & a dog)
- big boat isn't trailerable

Found a FSBO 2012 Cobalt 323 (arch/bimini has enclosure) in another state and I'm being tempted in the offseason
2014 Cobalt R5 with VP 380hp
2014 Chaparral H2019 previous
1991 Wellcraft 186 Eclipse previous
Home: Tyme N Tyde Marina, Woodbridge, Virginia (Potomac River)
Home away from home: Beech Hill Pond, Maine
Kate
Captain
Captain

Re: Share your move from bowrider to cruiser experience

Post by Kate »

I switched to a trailerable day cruiser with a bow cabin. The entire boat is enclosable, and now I can enjoy exactly what you want to do.
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

Make sure it has a Genset capable of running AC.
RobL
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by RobL »

sailor55330 wrote: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:21 pm Make sure it has a Genset capable of running AC.
Not sure what Genset is? The boat I'm considering is 2012 Cobalt 323 with twin 8.1 400 HP VP, it has A/C, 1600 BTU - 5 kW generator. I've only had bowriders with the "breezy AC" option, current is 2014 R5
2014 Cobalt R5 with VP 380hp
2014 Chaparral H2019 previous
1991 Wellcraft 186 Eclipse previous
Home: Tyme N Tyde Marina, Woodbridge, Virginia (Potomac River)
Home away from home: Beech Hill Pond, Maine
Holy Smokes
Captain
Captain

Post by Holy Smokes »

Genset = generator.

The 323 is a much different boating experience compared to an R5. I don't know your situation, but unless you have the 3/4 ton or above truck to pull the 15k lbs. 323 around, you'd be best to keep it at a marina for easy launching. Downside is it may limit your range to visit other lakes and locations.

We have a 360 on Lake of the Ozarks on our own dock & lift. Easiest launching configuration in my opinion... pull the cover, drop the lift and go. I can get the notice "we're taking the boat out" to pulling out of the dock in 10 min or less. Fortunately, LOTO has all we need as I cannot take the 360 to other lakes.
2005 Cobalt 360, 496Mag HO's with Bravo 3X drives

LOTO - Lake of the Ozarks