Cobalt Mooring cover

(R3, R5, R7, R30, R35)
Pete12
Ensign
Ensign

Cobalt Mooring cover

Post by Pete12 »

Considering ordering a mooring cover from Cobalt for our R5. Pros and cons? Comparison to separate bow/cockpit covers?
lungdocrt
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Cobalt Mooring cover

Post by lungdocrt »

I have a mooring cover on my R3 and have had bow/cockpit covers on previous boats. Mooring cover keeps the boat dryer and because it extends over the rub rails keeps it cleaner in my opinion. Downside is it's a little bit more of a hassle to put on but once you get the hang of it doesn't seem like a problem. I don't trailer the boat so can't comment on issues related to that.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

lungdocrt wrote: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:40 pm I have a mooring cover on my R3 and have had bow/cockpit covers on previous boats. Mooring cover keeps the boat dryer and because it extends over the rub rails keeps it cleaner in my opinion. Downside is it's a little bit more of a hassle to put on but once you get the hang of it doesn't seem like a problem. I don't trailer the boat so can't comment on issues related to that.
Hey lungdoctr…so glad you found us my friend. And totally agree on your mooring cover assessment. We used our Westland mooring cover during longer downtimes between boating. It kept our hull from fading and did a better job during rainstorms keeping streaks from occurring as water ran down the boat.

Any pics of your R3? How is she powered?

And welcome aboard mate!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

I prefer mooring cover over snap in covers. It also completely covers the swim step to protect it if it has a covering on it.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Cctvdc
Commander
Commander

Post by Cctvdc »

I have both type of covers and they all work well. We use our mooring cover when we trailer our boat or when it’s stored on the trailer short term. The cover attaches well and is secure for trailering with ratchet straps. It does take a little longer to put on than the snap on bow and cockpit cover. It covers the swim platform on our R7 so I would not use it with the boat in the water as it would be constantly getting wet.
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Cctvdc wrote: Sat Feb 24, 2024 7:06 am I have both type of covers and they all work well. We use our mooring cover when we trailer our boat or when it’s stored on the trailer short term. The cover attaches well and is secure for trailering with ratchet straps. It does take a little longer to put on than the snap on bow and cockpit cover. It covers the swim platform on our R7 so I would not use it with the boat in the water as it would be constantly getting wet.
On our R5, it never gets wet but may depend on the model of boat.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
lungdocrt
Ensign
Ensign

Post by lungdocrt »

IMG_0468 (1).jpeg
Here's my 2021 R3 with mooring cover attached. Powered with a Volvo 300 HP.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Cctvdc
Commander
Commander

Post by Cctvdc »

Love the solid color with accent boot stripe like yours !