Dealer Problems

Pete12
Ensign
Ensign

Dealer Problems

Post by Pete12 »

I picked up a R5 last summer. Dropped of with the dealer in October for winterization and storage. Needed some minor gelcoat repairs and minor prop work all that dealer agreed to pick up the cost on. Agreed on a May 1 pick up. Called the service manager 2 months ago to check and he said all set for May1. SO I call today, gel coat repair not done, having problem with gel coat guy doesn't know when it it will be done. Asked are we talking a couple days to get repair done or are we talking a month or two. He says not sure (sounded to me like he was leaning towards a month or 2). He also adds props should be back from shop in 2 days. So may May 1 date is blown. I said you had it for almost 7 months and not done, sounds like you totally blew me off, plus you never even bothered to call me to let me know there's a problem with pick up date. He says yea I'm so sorry, I had it noted to call you and totally forgot. Says we can get the props on and deliver boat to you for free and you can bring back boat later in year for gel coat repair. I'm like, wtf! Told him I'd call back tomorrow morning had to get off the phone before I lost it. Will be calling owner for sure first thing tomorrow. Can't believe the incompetence.
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Dealer Problems

Post by jhnmdahl »

Boat, RV, and other such dealers have had it easy since Covid - they could sell more inventory than they can get, and prices and profit margins just keep going up. It will be interesting to see how various dealers fare in the next economic down cycle - people tend to remember experiences like yours.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Whippled263
Captain
Captain

Post by Whippled263 »

This happens at almost every dealer. Good luck with the owner
2005 263
whipple supercharged 496 H.O
Bravo 3 XR
Trim down for what!
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

When I read this, I thought did they buy from Parks Marina as well? I couldn't get the service dept there to fix anything correctly or not F anything else up, IE busted my brake controller off the trailer and ran the batteries dead when they left the key and disconnect on at the last visit(I had explained I would pick it up on Sat morning to boat for the rest of the weekend), if I had a shock collar on them.

The parts dept there is great and if it wasnt for them I would have likely parked the boat back in their showroom floor. My salesman was pretty good too, but there is only so much he can do.
CS23
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Parks were not my favorite when I was looking - little wiggle room on price, and this general sense that I was lucky they let me in the showroom. I also visited Nisswa and Erickson Marine, and Erickson ended up being my clear favorite (and where I bought my boat).
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

Erickson is where I bought mine as well.... And what did they get for their service levels? They got their dealership pulled from them by Cobalt (the real reason was that Malbu made a bad decision by going with another dealer in the area)
Dhooghe81
Commander
Commander

Post by Dhooghe81 »

Whatever you decide to do with said dealer, I'd get it in writing that they will repair gelcoat at a later date and in a timely manner.
2006 272 8.1gi