School shooting.

(non-boating; no politics!)
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

School shooting.

Post by Tuscany »

So we’re here in SW Florida for a week. I’m watching TV when my wife comes downstairs to ask me if I heard about the school shooting, and turn on the news.
Turns out that her cousin’s son (who was in our wedding) lives in ParkView has two kids in that school. After getting a text from my wife’s cousin, we found out that one of two kids hasn’t been accounted for. Ofcourse, the parents were not in contact with us directly, so we had to just wait.
After a couple hectic hours, we got word that she was found unharmed, but was found hiding in the school library still hiding, because the shooter was in the library and shot two of her friends dead.

No words here..How does a high school freshman unsee that?
I’m all for the 2nd, But man, what has our world become where kids can easily get their hands on guns? I’m just surmising, but parents have to account for, and lock up their weapons..

My wife’s cousin could hardly talk tonight, but his kids are home, and safe. 17 other families are torn forever.
I couldn’t fathom losing a child, especially like that.
Last edited by Tuscany on Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: School shooting.

Post by Big Block Power »

Sorry to hear this. I'm glad their ok. I haven't heard of this till now. I don't own any guns so it's hard for me to comment on this.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

My thoughts and prayers go out to you, your family, and the family’s of the slain, T. Horrible tragedy.

We live in a very broken world that’s for sure. May the light of Christ penetrate the darkness there.
Last edited by AsLan7 on Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

There's some sick people out there. Very sad.
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

It was reported today this is the 18th shooting THIS year alone. Let that roll around in your brain for a bit.

I was talking with my wife tonight....cant imagine the level of fear and dread wed have getting news of something like this at our kids school. Can you imagine rushing over not knowing if your children have been accounted for?

I have no words for these families and frankly have mo idea how they recover.

Glad your family is safe Aslan.

I dont own a gun but know plenty who do who also have conceal and carry. Frankly they seem almost hyper sensative about gun safety. Personally i have no use for one. Maybe at some point in my life ill regret that. Time will tell.
2017 R7 WSS Volvo 6.0L 430 HP
"The Mistress"
Table Rock Lake, MO (Indian Point Area)
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

Table Rockin wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:37 pmFrankly they seem almost hyper sensative about gun safety.
Every gun owner I know (myself included) is extremely safety conscious. You don't get second chances when it comes to those types of things. Respect the 3 rules and there will never be a problem. I've been around one or two who were not all that safe, those relationships were short-lived.
Skiingstrongman
Captain
Captain

Post by Skiingstrongman »

thunder550 wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:49 pm
Table Rockin wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:37 pmFrankly they seem almost hyper sensative about gun safety.
Every gun owner I know (myself included) is extremely safety conscious. You don't get second chances when it comes to those types of things. Respect the 3 rules and there will never be a problem. I've been around one or two who were not all that safe, those relationships were short-lived.
I know you didn’t mean anything by that but this could get political in a hurry. Be careful guys, this can get messy in a hurry.
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

Skiingstrongman wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 5:05 pm I know you didn’t mean anything by that but this could get political in a hurry. Be careful guys, this can get messy in a hurry.
Definitely didn't mean anything political by this, was just agreeing with the safety portion of the people I know.
Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Driller »

I find it hard to wrap my mind around these shootings. Have no idea what has changed between the time I was a teenager and now.

- Social Media / peer pressure
- Violent video games
- Violent movies
- Violent TV shows

I just know that I grew up around guns my entire life and when I was kid the thought never even once entered my mind to take one of them a shoot someone.

I can't understand the killing of innocent persons to make some kind of statement.
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Someone messaged me about whether this thread is appropriate, and I think so far it serves a useful purpose, giving people a place to share news, mourn among friends, etc..

There are some controversial political topics surrounding events like this I would likely remove from the board if posted, and some non-controversial topics (I think) surrounding such events such as metal health, if you see something say something, etc. that I would probably not consider "political" at this point.

Thanks for keeping it respectful, guys - you make my job easy.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

Table Rockin wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:37 pm
Crap, sorry Tuscany, just realized I had the wrong person here. Again, glad everyone is safe.
2017 R7 WSS Volvo 6.0L 430 HP
"The Mistress"
Table Rock Lake, MO (Indian Point Area)
2ridgebacks
Captain
Captain

Post by 2ridgebacks »

Driller wrote: Thu Feb 15, 2018 6:03 pm I find it hard to wrap my mind around these shootings. Have no idea what has changed between the time I was a teenager and now.

- Social Media / peer pressure
- Violent video games
- Violent movies
- Violent TV shows

I just know that I grew up around guns my entire life and when I was kid the thought never even once entered my mind to take one of them a shoot someone.

I can't understand the killing of innocent persons to make some kind of statement.
+1
2012 A25
Volvo 8.1 400hp
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Table Rockin wrote: Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:43 am
Table Rockin wrote: Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:37 pm
Crap, sorry Tuscany, just realized I had the wrong person here. Again, glad everyone is safe.
Well, I’ve never met the kids, and just met the mother last year. Third marriage..
I just can’t imagine the pain those affected are going through.

+2 Driller!
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

I maybe alone in my thinking but I believe the media plays a big part. After these shootings they talk none stop about the shooter. I think a lot of these disturbed shooters are thinking they will be famous. How many shooters can you name ? How many victims can you name. I wish we could focus on the victims and give the shooter zero coverage. Sorry I'm done now.
2018 r5
2003 220
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

JMHO..

I’m not a negative person, just one who is pragmatic. This will never change, and I expect it to get worse as time marches forward.
Our favorite place to point the finger?..Guns..millions were sold, and they are never coming back.
Mentally sickened? It’s been an affliction since the beginning of time. The combination of both? No.

What has changed where we now face this issue?
THAT is the question that needs to be asked before attempting to solve this problem.

IMO, the thread that ties it all together to produce this scourge is right in front of our noses..
The easy unfiltered information of a search engine and the connections of social media.
Someone who has an affliction can now easily seek out others with the same issues..

Want to hate? Google your favorite hate group and learn how to hate with passion and organization.

Want to kill with a gun? Just google it, and not only can you buy a gun, but you can be instantly be put in touch with groups who will provide the support along with giving the emotional support needed to carry out the deed..

Want to carry out the will of a terrorist?
Now, you can easily find a reason to hate someone’s religious beliefs, and find those willing to train you on how to make a bomb by sending you the schematics, and help you build it.

Want to bully?
Just join Facebook, and cyber bully an easy victim in your school, which makes a person hate, which makes a person google a way to “get them ALL back”..
I see no light at the end of the tunnel on this scourge in our society, and the world in general.

As a parent, my kids never had cell phones at a young age. Never a TV in their room until mid teens, and never a computer in their rooms.
The internet, and all of its wonders are also the undoing of society. Facebook, which brought the world together, in the end, it has also ripped us apart.
I hope my kids raise their children with love, attention, affection and respect for others, instead of being raised “online” ..
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine