Head Operation Help

no_rulz25
Captain
Captain

Head Operation Help

Post by no_rulz25 »

Soooooo, need some help because the owners manual is useless. As you know I recently joined the Cobalt world with a 2013 24SD, which for the first time gives me a boat with a bathroom. I didn't get a good walk-through of all the systems from the seller. My issue is how in the holy hell does it work? Here's what I think, let me know if I'm getting this wrong.

There is an inlet(I assume inlet) valve in front of my engine on the floor in the engine bay with a hose running to a filter housing then to a tank. I'm guessing this is where the flushing water comes from? However, my boat doesn't have a galley, sink or transom shower so I'm unsure what this tank is for other than that. As for the toilet, it's a porcelain toilet with a electric push button on the wall to flush into the waste tank. So what I'm guessing is when I flush the toilet with the push button it brings water in from the river or lake through the inlet valve and filter housing to flush the toilet into the waste tank. Does this sound right?

I guess the best thing to do is next time i'm out just try and see if my theory works by trying to flush the toilet.
2013 24SD
Volvo Penta 300
"Nautical Nonsense"
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Head Operation Help

Post by AsLan7 »

Hey N_R25. Sometimes those Heads can be confusing.

There are three basic types...
1.self contained porta-pottys that usually cost less than $150,
2. fixed plumbing systems with a holding tank that costs $1,000 or so,
3.and complex systems that can treat raw sewage so it’s safe to pump directly overboard. These are even more expensive, typically have both power and fresh water connected to them, and unless you’re really handy, generally require service by a trained professional to repair and maintain.

Sounds like you have option # 2 with a holding tank.

Depending on whether it's electric (you said electric) or manual pump, it will normally suck Raw water from the outside and pump it into your head (toilet :lol: ), which will then lead to your holding tank during flushing operation.

Later, you can use a pump out at your local marina to empty that holding tank utilizing the waste valve on the hull.

....and nice touch on the Porcelain model. :D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
no_rulz25
Captain
Captain

Post by no_rulz25 »

AsLan7 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 7:50 am .
Hey N_R25. Sometimes those Heads can be confusing.

There are three basic types...
1.self contained porta-pottys that usually cost less than $150,
2. fixed plumbing systems with a holding tank that costs $1,000 or so,
3.and complex systems that can treat raw sewage so it’s safe to pump directly overboard. These are even more expensive, typically have both power and fresh water connected to them, and unless you’re really handy, generally require service by a trained professional to repair and maintain.

Sounds like you have option # 2 with a holding tank.

Depending on whether it's electric (you said electric) or manual pump, it will normally suck Raw water from the outside and pump it into your head (toilet :lol: ), which will then lead to your holding tank during flushing operation.

Later, you can use a pump out at your local marina to empty that holding tank utilizing the waste valve on the hull.

....and nice touch on the Porcelain model. :D

Thanks for the reply. Yea #2 sounds like something I might have. I'll have to give it a try next time I take her out on the water, most likely this weekend. I could care less about even having the system, but the ladies seem to like having it on board.

As for the porcelain, it came with it, I didn't install it. I laughed when I saw it. LOL

On a different note, if I don't have the galley, showers or sink in the bathroom options, why would they still have a water tank installed under the floor board with hoses still going to it?
2013 24SD
Volvo Penta 300
"Nautical Nonsense"
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Thanks for the reply.
Yea #2 sounds like something I might have. I'll have to give it a try next time I take her out on the water, most likely this weekend. I could care less about even having the system, but the ladies seem to like having it on board.

As for the porcelain, it came with it, I didn't install it. I laughed when I saw it. LOL

On a different note, if I don't have the galley, showers or sink in the bathroom options, why would they still have a water tank installed under the floor board with hoses still going to it?

You're welcome, my 24SD friend. :P
The porcelain toilet is an upgrade option, (vs the cheaper sani potti). I guess I was saying nice job getting the upgrade over the sani-potti option.

The tank under the floor board may be your waste holding tank. Do you see another? :?:
(It can also be your fuel tank.)
(It can also be a fresh water holding tank that is plumbed for the other sink/shower install options with cap-offs. )

Page 3-35 of the 24SD owner's manual describes how to operate your electric head.... :)

Electrically Operated Head:
1. Open the inlet water seacock below the cabin
floor.

2. If overboard discharge is to be used, make sure
the “Y” valve is in the overboard position.

3. To charge the head, depress the foot pedal on
the lower left side of the bowl, and push the
flush button. Release the flush button after the
bowl is moistened, and then pump the floor
pedal 2-4 times to fill the bowl with water.

4. To flush, depress the foot pedal and push the
flush button at the same time - hold until all
waste is removed.

The marine toilet (head) allows you to hold the
waste in a holding tank. The waste can then be
pumped out through a deck plate fitting marked
“WASTE.”

The optional macerator system allows the
discharging of waste water directly overboard. For
additional operating information, refer to the
macerator operator’s manual. (I don't believe you have this)

Your Cobalt boat is equipped with an
electronically operated head (marine toilet) and
waste containment system. The head draws
seawater in through the hull to flush waste water
from the marine toilet.
The toilet pumps the waste water into a holding
tank.

Your boat is fitted with a waste holding tank. It is
emptied through the deck plate fitting marked
“WASTE.” Waste is pumped from the head through
a sanitary waste hose to the top portion of the tank.
A sanitary waste hose is attached to the bottom of
the tank, and runs to the dockside pump-out plate.
An overboard vent keeps the tank at atmospheric
pressure regardless of waste levels.

You should also have a waste level monitor somewhere to let you know the level in that tank.

Here is the full PDF link if needed....

http://www.cobaltboats.com/art/manuals/2013_24SD_OM.pdf

Make sure you use the biodegradable toilet paper too. Enjoy!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Wait... after you blend it on some boats you can squirt it out into the lake?

That's just nasty. TMI. I mean, I know the fish go in the water and all but still.. Eww
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
no_rulz25
Captain
Captain

Post by no_rulz25 »

I've already had to empty out the waste tank. I didn't realize until after I bought it that the tank was already half full, that was sweet of them!! The best part was watching the look on the kids face as the chunks were getting sucked through the hose at the marina!!! LMAO
The tank I'm talking about is under the floor in front of the engine bay, I'd assume that the waste tank is more forward toward the pump out valve, but I may be wrong.
2013 24SD
Volvo Penta 300
"Nautical Nonsense"
Bfun220
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Bfun220 »

no_rulz25 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:21 pm I've already had to empty out the waste tank. I didn't realize until after I bought it that the tank was already half full, that was sweet of them!! The best part was watching the look on the kids face as the chunks were getting sucked through the hose at the marina!!! LMAO
Pretty nice seller leaving you a gift.
Reminds me of a video I saw were old guy is pumping his tank out and as a big clump goes through the hose he says " There's mama's".🤢lol
2018 r5
2003 220
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Bfun220 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:17 pm
no_rulz25 wrote: Tue Feb 27, 2018 2:21 pm I've already had to empty out the waste tank. I didn't realize until after I bought it that the tank was already half full, that was sweet of them!! The best part was watching the look on the kids face as the chunks were getting sucked through the hose at the marina!!! LMAO
Pretty nice seller leaving you a gift.
Reminds me of a video I saw were old guy is pumping his tank out and as a big clump goes through the hose he says " There's mama's".🤢lol
Now that’s funny! :lol: :lol: :lol:
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

I think you have it handled. The waste tank is under the floor up front by the waste cap.. To flush, just push the button. It will all he self explanatory 💩
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
Dirk
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Dirk »

Good day all I realise this is an old post but wondering if you could help me ? I have an electrically operated head with macerator but for the life of me cant find the foot pedal or switch that brings water into the bowl ??? Is there any other systems you know of??

Regards Dirk
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Dirk wrote: Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:49 am Good day all I realise this is an old post but wondering if you could help me ? I have an electrically operated head with macerator but for the life of me cant find the foot pedal or switch that brings water into the bowl ??? Is there any other systems you know of??

Regards Dirk
Hey Dirk. Welcome to the Cobaltchat forum.

Which particular Cobalt model do you own? Any pics of that area. It may help.

So glad you found us. Welcome aboard mate!

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Dirk
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Dirk »

Thanks mate I am the proud owner of a 2013 Cobalt unfortunately I don’t have any pic of the area at the moment and I am away for 2 weeks but will take some when I get back thanks for your help

Regards Dirk

29F6041F-A2D8-4914-BA1A-BD4D5BECC5E7.jpeg
gofsbo99
Ensign
Ensign

Post by gofsbo99 »

Just bought a 2014 r7 with porcelain head. Does anyone know if there is a filter anywhere between the tank and discharge? Every time I come off plane I can smell the head. Flushed it out several times & put plenty of chemical in it. Hoping maybe there was a filter that could be replaced. I'm not 100% sure where the vent is located but I assume its coming from there.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

So glad you found us g…99

No filter that I know of but I’ve never had the porcelain model. Is your ballcock/toiletvalve closing all the way?

Any pics?

And welcome aboard mate.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
billk2632
Captain
Captain

Post by billk2632 »

gofsbo99 wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 2:20 pm Just bought a 2014 r7 with porcelain head. Does anyone know if there is a filter anywhere between the tank and discharge? Every time I come off plane I can smell the head. Flushed it out several times & put plenty of chemical in it. Hoping maybe there was a filter that could be replaced. I'm not 100% sure where the vent is located but I assume its coming from there.
There is no charcoal filter like you see on many vacuflush systems. Yours (my R5 has the same head system) pulls seawater in to flush the head and discharges it into a blackwater holding tank. There is a strainer just upstream of the seacock, since it has seawater in it all the time, it can get funky, I would start by cleaning that out. There is a vent for the holding tank (but no filter) on mine the vent is port side just in front of the windshield - you could get smell from that vent, but it would mainly be when the head is flushed.
If the smell is coming from inside the head, I would look at the raw water strainer.
If the smell is coming from the vent look at the holding tank.

FYI, same situation with the freshwater tank, there is a smaller strainer upstream of the freshwater pump that can get dirty.
1979 Correct Craft Ski-Tique - Previous
1948 Chris Craft Custom Runabout - Oh man to have that one back!