Drones on Boats

Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Drones on Boats

Post by Table Rockin »

I just bought one over Xmas and I've flown it now maybe a dozen times. Lets just say I need to get better at it before I take it on the boat. My landings have been less than desirable. In fact I think I've only landed it the right way maybe....oh lets say.....once :D
2017 R7 WSS Volvo 6.0L 430 HP
"The Mistress"
Table Rock Lake, MO (Indian Point Area)
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Table Rockin wrote: Thu Mar 01, 2018 3:43 pm I just bought one over Xmas and I've flown it now maybe a dozen times. Lets just say I need to get better at it before I take it on the boat. My landings have been less than desirable. In fact I think I've only landed it the right way maybe....oh lets say.....once :D
Would you recommend the waterproof model, TR??
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Table Rockin
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Table Rockin »

sure if your primary purpose is over bodies of water. If your good at using them (definitely need GPS version) it may not matte. I'd be scared I'd crash it into the boat or on the vinyl and those props cut into something or at very least leave a mark. Not sure I'm good enough to land it on the swim platform.
2017 R7 WSS Volvo 6.0L 430 HP
"The Mistress"
Table Rock Lake, MO (Indian Point Area)
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Roger that. Thanx.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
juddmyers
Captain
Captain

Post by juddmyers »

I am late to this party. I own a Mavic Pro and love it. I have launched it from a tri toon and recorded some video, unfortunately the wind picked up and I sliced open the front seat of the pontoon when landing. That cost me $400 in repairs. I haven't taken it out with the 262 yet but I am sure that I will in time. just make sure you have your RTTH and Altitude settings all set right and should be fine.
2001 262 "Makin IT"
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

juddmyers wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 8:57 am I am late to this party. I own a Mavic Pro and love it. I have launched it from a tri toon and recorded some video, unfortunately the wind picked up and I sliced open the front seat of the pontoon when landing. That cost me $400 in repairs. I haven't taken it out with the 262 yet but I am sure that I will in time. just make sure you have your RTTH and Altitude settings all set right and should be fine.
That’s good info JM. Thx for the heads up. 👌🏻
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
juddmyers
Captain
Captain

Post by juddmyers »

Might also practice hand launching and hand landing at home. That is tricky and hard to get use to.
2001 262 "Makin IT"
mtwbldr
Commander
Commander

Post by mtwbldr »

How did I not see this thread! I have a small production company as a side gig and I pilot all of our drone work.(FAA certified) ((yes A7 as a pilot you could pass in a sec. Its basically ground school)) Anyway, I fly my Mavic Pro pretty often from our boat. I would not recommend, unless your piloting skills are dialed in, but hand launching and catching is the way to go. JM sucks you caught your seats while landing, better than a body part, or worse your 262! Will share some photos I get this weekend as I'm planning on taking it out.
‘11 A25
Merc 8.2 mag 380HP
Bravo III
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

mtwbldr wrote: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:34 am How did I not see this thread! I have a small production company as a side gig and I pilot all of our drone work.(FAA certified) ((yes A7 as a pilot you could pass in a sec. Its basically ground school)) Anyway, I fly my Mavic Pro pretty often from our boat. I would not recommend, unless your piloting skills are dialed in, but hand launching and catching is the way to go. JM sucks you caught your seats while landing, better than a body part, or worse your 262! Will share some photos I get this weekend as I'm planning on taking it out.
Just recently took a two day class with our insurance adjusters who are now flying drones...I have to be able to help with the technical stuff if it breaks...but I asked about flying over water...our instructor also recommended the hand catching instead of trying to land on a boat. Bring it in, let it hover and grab it. It was super fun to fly and would be super cool at the lake!
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

My one time drone from the Boat last year was interesting to retrieve...

As I set my cheapy to gps hover about 5 feet off the platform it locked and hovered.

Me being so smart I grabbed the drone no problem!! Easy deal.

Then I realized I need to hold both toggles down and then out on the controller to shut it off.. geeze now what?

Simply hand the controls to your buzzed buddy!, and give him the instructions how to shut it down.. Easy deal right?

Nope he went the opposite way with the sticks.. tried to take off side ways ..and I may have wet myself in terror..

Finally he realized he went opposite way and quickly shut it down..thank goodness..

Sooooo.. next time I may bring gloves and a Helmet 😂😂
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
tbully
Commander
Commander

Post by tbully »

I have a mavic pro as well. My old drone (Phantom 2, I think?) was easy to grab out of the air. The Mavic's body is not as deep and it also doesn't have as much of a "landing gear" to grab on to. Further complicating things is the Mavic is super self-aware and smart. In the proper mode, it's constantly looking for obstructions, accounting for wind, and keeping level flight. As soon as you grab on to that thing while in the air, it goes crazy, throttles up, etc. It can be pretty scary being close to the props. Further, it could potentially slip out of your hand and fly erratically for a moment - thereby crashing, hitting the boat, etc.

I need to figure out a better way to grab it out of the air (temporarily shut down sensors?). Otherwise, this one won't go on the boat, sadly.
2017 R7 6.0 430 VP
2019 R7 6.2 430 VP
mtwbldr
Commander
Commander

Post by mtwbldr »

NautiGirl wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:09 am Just recently took a two day class with our insurance adjusters who are now flying drones...I have to be able to help with the technical stuff if it breaks...but I asked about flying over water...our instructor also recommended the hand catching instead of trying to land on a boat. Bring it in, let it hover and grab it. It was super fun to fly and would be super cool at the lake!
very cool and fun to learn! Definitely bring to the lake!
tbully wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:15 am I have a mavic pro as well. My old drone (Phantom 2, I think?) was easy to grab out of the air. The Mavic's body is not as deep and it also doesn't have as much of a "landing gear" to grab on to. Further complicating things is the Mavic is super self-aware and smart. In the proper mode, it's constantly looking for obstructions, accounting for wind, and keeping level flight. As soon as you grab on to that thing while in the air, it goes crazy, throttles up, etc. It can be pretty scary being close to the props. Further, it could potentially slip out of your hand and fly erratically for a moment - thereby crashing, hitting the boat, etc.

I need to figure out a better way to grab it out of the air (temporarily shut down sensors?). Otherwise, this one won't go on the boat, sadly.
For the Mavic, easiest thing to do is turn off "Landing Protection" this will let it land in your hand and and it won't rev up and try to get away from you.
‘11 A25
Merc 8.2 mag 380HP
Bravo III
tbully
Commander
Commander

Post by tbully »

Thanks! I'll give that a shot!
2017 R7 6.0 430 VP
2019 R7 6.2 430 VP
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

cmattj wrote: Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:28 am My one time drone from the Boat last year was interesting to retrieve...

As I set my cheapy to gps hover about 5 feet off the platform it locked and hovered.

Me being so smart I grabbed the drone no problem!! Easy deal.

Then I realized I need to hold both toggles down and then out on the controller to shut it off.. geeze now what?

Simply hand the controls to your buzzed buddy!, and give him the instructions how to shut it down.. Easy deal right?

Nope he went the opposite way with the sticks.. tried to take off side ways ..and I may have wet myself in terror..

Finally he realized he went opposite way and quickly shut it down..thank goodness..

Sooooo.. next time I may bring gloves and a Helmet 😂😂
:lol: :lol: :lol:
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Some great info here!
...and awesome shot Matt. 8-)
2002 Cobalt 262
&