Independent Bow Stop without Windlass?

CobaltVet
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Independent Bow Stop without Windlass?

Post by CobaltVet »

I’ve seen some people use an independent “V” block bow stop on boats without a through hull windlass/anchor. I recognize it is required w/ windlass option, but is it preferred to an integrated bow stop/roller for a boat without the windlass?

I’m ordering a trailer for an A25, and trying to decide if worth extra cost of the 2 separate pieces (winch stand and bow stop) vs single piece integrated. The separate bow stop creates a vertical tie down location for the bow eye.

Also, how big of a winch do I need- trailer manufacturer suggested 2500lb winch capacity would do, but with a 5200lb boat plus fuel and gear on a bunk trailer with inclined ramp… seems undersized to me!
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Independent Bow Stop without Windlass?

Post by Snowman8 »

The bow stop is personal preference if it is an option with the trailer manufacturers. I don’t know if there is an advantage either way without windlass. It was standard equipment on my custom Loadmaster trailer. It took EZLoader 3 tries to get me a bow stop that would fit my R5 with my first trailer. They first sent a windlass bow stop that wore through the gel coat on my boat by the time I trailer my boat home from the dealer. Then they sent a standard bow stop that wouldn’t adjust low enough to hit the boat below the bow eye. The third one they sent worked, third times the charm, the rest of the trailer was a mess too. I would go with the biggest winch you can get.
I would most definitely upgrade to a 3500lb 2 stage winch! That’s what came standard on my Loadmaster. I broke 2 straps on the 2500lb winch that came with the EZLoader before I upgraded to the 3500lb strap with a 10,000lb break strength strap.
Also make sure you have plenty of reserve capacity on the trailer axels to carry that A25. To save cost a lot of manufacturers use axels to just carry the boat & trailer without much reserve. I would want at least 2 5000lb axels under that A25.
What brand of trailer are you ordering? Please don’t say EZLoader. Lol!!
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Snowman8 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:30 am The bow stop is personal preference if it is an option with the trailer manufacturers. I don’t know if there is an advantage either way without windlass. It was standard equipment on my custom Loadmaster trailer. It took EZLoader 3 tries to get me a bow stop that would fit my R5 with my first trailer. They first sent a windlass bow stop that wore through the gel coat on my boat by the time I trailer my boat home from the dealer. Then they sent a standard bow stop that wouldn’t adjust low enough to hit the boat below the bow eye. The third one they sent worked, third times the charm, the rest of the trailer was a mess too. I would go with the biggest winch you can get.
I would most definitely upgrade to a 3500lb 2 stage winch! That’s what came standard on my Loadmaster. I broke 2 straps on the 2500lb winch that came with the EZLoader before I upgraded to the 3500lb strap with a 10,000lb break strength strap.
Also make sure you have plenty of reserve capacity on the trailer axels to carry that A25. To save cost a lot of manufacturers use axels to just carry the boat & trailer without much reserve. I would want at least 2 5000lb axels under that A25.
I know some people on here don't like EzLoader but they are my fav. It came on my first Bayliner I ever owned 👍

Honestly I like the bow stop up by the WInch. I think it's ugly down low. But with windlass that's what you get.
All the advise snowball gave was spot on!
Congrats on the A!
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
CobaltVet
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by CobaltVet »

It’s not an EZ Loader, but it’s also not a Loadmaster! It’s a semi-custom from a Florida aluminum trailer shop - >10k lb GVWR, so plenty of reserve capacity on - frame, axles and wheels/tires. Eoh disc brakes on both axles, length and bunks to accommodate the boat and made to fit in my storage space. Just need to sort out the winch and bow stop details.
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

Big Block Power wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 1:04 pm
Snowman8 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 11:30 am The bow stop is personal preference if it is an option with the trailer manufacturers. I don’t know if there is an advantage either way without windlass. It was standard equipment on my custom Loadmaster trailer. It took EZLoader 3 tries to get me a bow stop that would fit my R5 with my first trailer. They first sent a windlass bow stop that wore through the gel coat on my boat by the time I trailer my boat home from the dealer. Then they sent a standard bow stop that wouldn’t adjust low enough to hit the boat below the bow eye. The third one they sent worked, third times the charm, the rest of the trailer was a mess too. I would go with the biggest winch you can get.
I know some people on here don't like EzLoader but they are my fav. It came on my first Bayliner I ever owned 👍

Honestly I like the bow stop up by the WInch. I think it's ugly down low. But with windlass that's what you get.
Congrats on the A!
EZLoader & Bayliner. Someday I hope to own that high class combo! :roll:
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

CobaltVet wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 3:46 pm It’s not an EZ Loader, but it’s also not a Loadmaster! It’s a semi-custom from a Florida aluminum trailer shop - >10k lb GVWR, so plenty of reserve capacity on - frame, axles and wheels/tires. Eoh disc brakes on both axles, length and bunks to accommodate the boat and made to fit in my storage space. Just need to sort out the winch and bow stop details.
Right on, I didn’t know you needed aluminum. I am guessing you boat in salt water if you need an aluminum trailer. You will be fine with a 2 stage 3500lb winch and if you don’t have windlass the standard bow stop is fine. My R5 has been on 2 different trailers, one with the standard bow stop and the other with the low. The only thing I noticed is the high standard bow stop left more scuffs in the bow of the boat as it slid up and into place. The bow roller was the clear non scuff but it still leaves marks. The marks could easily be rubbed out so it really wasn’t an issue. The low bow stop will leave a few but not as bad as the old one. The one i linked below is what came on my Loadmaster, I guess its a 3200lb winch.

dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

Snowman8 wrote: Sat Feb 12, 2022 7:56 pm

Congrats on the A!
Those people have just as much fun on the water as you do.
CS23
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

dustinm wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 7:26 am

Congrats on the A!
Only because your with them 😂😂
True as long as it gets you on the water 👍💦
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

Big Block Power wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:38 am

That is also correct. I didn't come from any money.
CS23
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

dustinm wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 9:10 am
Big Block Power wrote: Sun Feb 13, 2022 8:38 am

That is also correct. I didn't come from any money.
What's money? All I know is the bank has plenty😂😂💵
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
craigjworkman
Ensign
Ensign

Post by craigjworkman »

Platinum Aluminum Trailers in FL?
CobaltVet
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by CobaltVet »

Boat Trailer Depot
CobaltVet
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by CobaltVet »

Anyone have any experience?