Boat Delivery Tow or Trailer

Driller
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Boat Delivery Tow or Trailer

Post by Driller »

A friend of mine needs to have a 2010 276 moved from Houston, Texas to Travers City, Michigan in the spring.

He us wondering whether he should have it towed or delivered by trailer. He has a trailer with all equipment in shape and ready to tow.

Also, is looking for companies which do either and the approximate cost.

Any recommendations?
2011 242 Volvo Penta 8.1 Gi
"DIGGIN' IT"
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Boat Delivery Tow or Trailer

Post by cmattj »

Uship... You just list your item and multiple bonded companies Bid on taking it to the destination. Just tell your friend to make sure he is ready once he lists it because it goes fast..I mean like next day fast!!

Tow.. as dragging it up on a flat bed is big $$ and height can be a problem. He will need a spare tire, working lights, and normal pre check items done. etc

Also request mud flaps on the carrier.
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

cmattj wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 7:36 am Uship... You just list your item and multiple bonded companies Bid on taking it to the destination. Just tell your friend to make sure he is ready once he lists it because it goes fast..I mean like next day fast!!

Tow.. as dragging it up on a flat bed is big $$ and height can be a problem. He will need a spare tire, working lights, and normal pre check items done. etc

Also request mud flaps on the carrier.
+1

Uship is a game changer now. I was skeptical, but had a great experience listing on Uship a month prior to the dates we wanted delivered.

Shipped 26’ Boat on a brand new trailer from Las Vegas to Pennsylvania. I provided very specific dimensions of total length, width, height including arch as well as pictures.

Also very specific about the pickup and drop off locations (access; loading capabilities; openness, etc).

$1,500 was the final bid. I also tipped them a $100 bill when they arrived and after I inspected. They slept in their truck for the trip.

You will hit a button in Uship that will send the agreed upon remaining monies after you inspect after delivery. (A small deposit is required up front when you book).

Bonded and they provided pics every day during each gas stop. A younger crew that would ship for less money but looking for positive feedback. They had a handful of trips under their belt but had 100% feedback. They were also trying to reposition back to the east coast. Go with what you feel comfortable. My only complaint was no mud flaps. Fortunately there were no marks on hull.

It’s usually cheaper to ship west to east as shippers are normally trying to get back east coast to pick up shipments that are plentiful.

Hope this helps.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by AsLan7 on Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:53 am, edited 7 times in total.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
thunder550
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by thunder550 »

+1 for Uship, that's how I got mine from MD to AZ for $1600 plus a $100 tip at the end. There is a significant cost different between the "legit" transport companies and a guy with a truck and a LLC though, so it will depend on the type of service he's looking for. Since my boat was cheap I was willing to roll the dice a bit, got a guy with great reviews and a good price. Turned out fine.
1995 Cobalt 252 - 502 Mag EFI - Bravo 1 - 21" Revolution 4
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

thunder550 wrote: Wed Jan 10, 2018 8:29 am +1 for Uship, that's how I got mine from MD to AZ for $1600 plus a $100 tip at the end. There is a significant cost different between the "legit" transport companies and a guy with a truck and a LLC though, so it will depend on the type of service he's looking for. Since my boat was cheap I was willing to roll the dice a bit, got a guy with great reviews and a good price. Turned out fine.
U bring up a good point,t550.
That cost difference was $3,000 in my case when I called around.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

I've used uship a bunch of times. no issues. My blue boat I had within 24 hours of signing the papers on it. I keep their contact info And if I need something towed again I have it and I don't have to go through uship Again. There fees kill the drivers.

Driller I have a guy that lives by you that towed a boat for me and I gave his name to Colin in Canada and it went very well for him. 2003 cobalt 220 from Texas to Wisconsin $900
Pm me if you want his info.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
CAgal
Ensign
Ensign

Post by CAgal »

Last year, 2021, I posted a question re: boat transportation (from one place to another). After reading several posts re: boat transports we hired a man named James that we read about on this website, CobaltChat. He pick up our new 220S Cobalt (new to us/2020 220 Cobalt with 27 hours) in New Hampshire and transported it to Sacramento, CA. The trip took him about 4-5 days, if I remember correctly. He did a GREAT JOB! He kept my husband up-to-date on his daily travel and sent us pictures along the way. His price was in the mid to mid-high-range. He used a very, very large truck to TOW r boat cross country. Once he arrived with our new Cobalt we had a chance to chat with him, and what a nice man! So for anyone looking for boat transportation try James K. Hastings, Sandtown Ranch Transportation, call or text 870.307.3357. Questions - feel free to email me at eiresoul@yahoo.com.
Thank You !
CA GAL
kas232ca
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by kas232ca »

CAgal wrote: Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:43 am Last year, 2021, I posted a question re: boat transportation (from one place to another). After reading several posts re: boat transports we hired a man named James that we read about on this website, CobaltChat. He pick up our new 220S Cobalt (new to us/2020 220 Cobalt with 27 hours) in New Hampshire and transported it to Sacramento, CA. The trip took him about 4-5 days, if I remember correctly. He did a GREAT JOB! He kept my husband up-to-date on his daily travel and sent us pictures along the way. His price was in the mid to mid-high-range. He used a very, very large truck to TOW r boat cross country. Once he arrived with our new Cobalt we had a chance to chat with him, and what a nice man! So for anyone looking for boat transportation try James K. Hastings, Sandtown Ranch Transportation, call or text 870.307.3357. Questions - feel free to email me at eiresoul@yahoo.com.
Thank You !
CA GAL
I'm glad James worked out well for you too. He delivered our boat from Illinois to Arizona for us. Very nice guy and seemed very well prepared with a nice RAM diesel 1 ton truck.
2006 Cobalt 232 8.1 420hp.
Lake Havasu, AZ