350-CE Exhaust Temperature Alarm

greenhut
Captain
Captain

Re: 350-CE Exhaust Temperature Alarm

Post by greenhut »

I was able to get the PIN by briefly accessing the helm. Got EasyConnect to connect up with my iPhone. Nothing exciting.

Are our boats capable of displaying exhaust temp? Does anyone else see it on their EVC display? I may have been messing around and turned it on. I ask in part cause when Easy Connect autodetected EVC capabilities, it did not enable exhaust temperature. This plus all 4 of my exhaust temp probes seem to measure OK... Im stumped...
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

The main function of EasyConnect is that it provides a bridge so that the glass panels can read and display engine information. However the information is fairly limited to only water temp, oil pressure, battery voltage and trim angle. VP does not share exhaust temp, although that is my understanding as I have tried to display it without success. The other ability is that when an alarm like this does occur it packages that info so you can email to your dealer. Not sure how detailed the information might be as I resolved my issue before I got to that point.
Regarding your issue at hand, exhaust temp alarm is most likely due to a raw water flow restriction. Check that you didn't suck up something and is lodged somewhere between the outdrive intake, water pump, heat exchanger or exhaust manifolds.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
greenhut
Captain
Captain

Post by greenhut »

Thanks stifflkd. I dont think this is a water flow/overheat situation (I have been down that road several times on a different boat!). I actually think it may not be a problem at all. The boat operates fine - coolant temp is normal, no limp mode, no alarms. Its just that I see that 1301F on the EVC panel - may be because I turned it on and it isn't able to display it. What did you see when you turned it on?
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

Oh I thought you were getting an alarm. You have this configured to display on the EVC screen. If you hit the right arrow it will scroll all the info set to display. You can choose what you want displayed by checking on/off each choice. Interesting it reads 1301F. Mine reads the same whether the engine is cold or warm.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

I had a high temp alarm in year 1 of boat ownership. There was a lot of algae growth in our marina and my lower unit picked up some which covered the intake. I put the drive in reverse and backed up a bit which cleared it. Haven't seen a temp alarm since. I don't think it takes much of an obstruction to cause a high temp.
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
greenhut
Captain
Captain

Post by greenhut »

stifflkd wrote: Sat Apr 30, 2022 5:57 am Mine reads the same whether the engine is cold or warm.
Likewise - always 1301F.
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
greenhut
Captain
Captain

Post by greenhut »

BobRae99 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:16 pm I put the drive in reverse and backed up a bit which cleared it.
That's a bit surprising - maybe something on the intake the came off with the opposite direction.

On my last boat, I had an 8.1Gi that had an overheat issue. Love closed loop now that I have it - much fewer engine parts cooled with lake water.
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

greenhut wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 7:21 pm
BobRae99 wrote: Mon May 02, 2022 4:16 pm I put the drive in reverse and backed up a bit which cleared it.
That's a bit surprising - maybe something on the intake the came off with the opposite direction.
That is what I suspect happened.
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe