What's This? Has power when batter off.

(R3, R5, R7, R30, R35)
BRDad
Commander
Commander

What's This? Has power when batter off.

Post by BRDad »

Hi All,

I the back of my R4 engine bay there is an electrical unit that has a green and red light.

It seems to stay on even when the battery is in the "Off" setting.

Any idea what this is and why it stays powered?

Thanks!
IMG_2018.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Re: What's This? Has power when batter off.

Post by dsthomas »

So I'm not an engine guy but that looks like the anti corosion system... I'm 80% that's what it is. I don't think it shuts off unless the battery drops below 75% as it provides electronics protection against corrosion... I beleive it's an option so if you didn't add that then I have no idea ha ha :0). Some one on here that is more knowledgeable can go into more detail as to how it works, but i'm pretty sure that's what it is.
Kansas City, MO
2011 242 VP 5.7 GXi (Sold)
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2020 R7 Surf VP 380 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

Yep, an active corrosion protection system. It is offered as an option. Considered a 24 hr circuit like the bilge pump so they are wired to the battery side of the battery switch
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
BRDad
Commander
Commander

Post by BRDad »

stifflkd wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 3:45 pm Yep, an active corrosion protection system. It is offered as an option. Considered a 24 hr circuit like the bilge pump so they are wired to the battery side of the battery switch
So strange…I just looked at my build sheet and it’s not 100% on there. Odd…
dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Post by dsthomas »

So strange…I just looked at my build sheet and it’s not 100% on there. Odd…
[/quote]

thats what ya call a free upgrade buddy! I checked it’s $614. There was a guy on here a while back who’s boat was sent with an engine that was bigger than he ordered. I remember right he ordered the 380 and they put in the 430 or something. He thought that they put the wrong sticker on it. He called up and turns out he got free upgrade too! I wish I could remember who that was… Oh well, nice when stuff happens in your favor instead of the other way around.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Kansas City, MO
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

dsthomas wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:27 pm So strange…I just looked at my build sheet and it’s not 100% on there. Odd…
dsthomas wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:27 pm thats what ya call a free upgrade buddy! I checked it’s $614. There was a guy on here a while back who’s boat was sent with an engine that was bigger than he ordered. I remember right he ordered the 380 and they put in the 430 or something. He thought that they put the wrong sticker on it. He called up and turns out he got free upgrade too! I wish I could remember who that was… Oh well, nice when stuff happens in your favor instead of the other way around.
It was Tuscany.
I would think that is part of the Volvo system and comes with it. I know Merc has it too. I wouldn't think it would be a add on. But who knows.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Post by dsthomas »

Big Block Power wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:37 pm
dsthomas wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 7:27 pm So strange…I just looked at my build sheet and it’s not 100% on there. Odd…
thats what ya call a free upgrade buddy! I checked it’s $614. There was a guy on here a while back who’s boat was sent with an engine that was bigger than he ordered. I remember right he ordered the 380 and they put in the 430 or something. He thought that they put the wrong sticker on it. He called up and turns out he got free upgrade too! I wish I could remember who that was… Oh well, nice when stuff happens in your favor instead of the other way around.
Big Block Power wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:37 pm It was Tuscany.
I would think that is part of the Volvo system and comes with it. I know Merc has it too. I wouldn't think it would be a add on. But who knows.
That’s right it was! Thank you Sir! I’m looking forward to meeting some of you guys at the Cobalt Regada one of these summers! I need to make my way down there, it would be nice to put some names with faces.
Kansas City, MO
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

dsthomas wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:10 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 8:37 pm
It was Tuscany.
dsthomas wrote: Thu May 26, 2022 10:10 pm
That’s right it was! Thank you Sir! I’m looking forward to meeting some of you guys at the Cobalt Regada one of these summers! I need to make my way down there, it would be nice to put some names with faces.
That would be fun. This year half of dozen of us are doing our own in a few weeks. We decided to skip the regatta as we do our own thing during it anyways and we wanted a week with less traffic. Maybe next year ee do it again? Plus the water was almost 90 degrees at the end of July so we wanted to go earlier when the water was more refreshing. It's a great time no matter what.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

I really wouldnt mind 90* water right now.... just saying. 8-)
CS23
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

dustinm wrote: Fri May 27, 2022 9:23 am I really wouldnt mind 90* water right now.... just saying. 8-)
Go jump in your tub🤣🤣
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
greenhut
Captain
Captain

Post by greenhut »

My 2020 R5 with VP380 came with it and was not ordered or on the build sheet.
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

greenhut wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 6:14 am My 2020 R5 with VP380 came with it and was not ordered or on the build sheet.
I really think it's Standard with the engine supplier.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

I have this unit on my R5 but the LED's are not lit at any time. I believe a complete system requires an external sensor mounted by the outdrive on the outside the boat (which I do not have). If you do not have this sensor you may want to look into disconnecting. However since the LED's are on I bet you have the sensor :)
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
greenhut
Captain
Captain

Post by greenhut »

stifflkd wrote: Sat May 28, 2022 8:13 am I have this unit on my R5 but the LED's are not lit at any time. I believe a complete system requires an external sensor mounted by the outdrive on the outside the boat (which I do not have). If you do not have this sensor you may want to look into disconnecting. However since the LED's are on I bet you have the sensor :)
Lights are on with mine. Could yours have a blown fuse? Have seen these do that...
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

Going to the dealer for trim tabs next week so I will ask. Never thought much about it since I do not have the sensor mounted outside. Also the only wire connected to the battery side of the switch is for the bilge pump. I would assume this unit should be wired similarly as it should operate 24/7 independent of the battery switch position. But then I guess one should never assume anything.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"