Windlass Jam

Kate
Captain
Captain

Windlass Jam

Post by Kate »

Help!

Recently installed a windlass (Lewmar v700, 50' rope, 10' chain, all manu. specs).

During retrieval, the ropes jams in the windlass. We're pretty sure the cause is this: The fall to the collection area is too shallow. According to Lewmar and other boaters with the same set up, this is a common problem.

Short of replacing the entire rode with all chain (an expensive fix), anybody have any clever (and less expensive) solutions?

I can stand at the captain's chair and pull on the rope as it spools. That keeps it from jamming. But it sort of defeats the purpose of having a windlass.
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Re: Windlass Jam

Post by stifflkd »

Happens with all chain too with 100'. Do you have a toggle switch in the anchor locker. That will help you manage the jam when it occurs, The locker. needs more room to drop rode in. I was going to experiment and see if I can't raise the table the windlass is mounted on. Or better yet have the dealer provide a fix because it should not happen.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

Toggle switch -- yes. Tried toggling every which way to Sunday. The rope still jams.

"The locker. needs more room to drop rode in."

Insufficient room (and especially depth) is the cause of the jamming. After about 10' of spooling, there's not enough downward tension on the rope. And that room/depth is maxed out.

Raising the table is not an option.

Thanks for your suggestions.
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

Update: Replaced the rope with all chain. Windlass now works perfectly.
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

All chain is the better option for a winch, I heard people having a lot issues with the splice getting chewed up from the winch. A bit of advice if you have not already done so. Get an anchor bridle. You do not want all that tension on the winch and haus, plus the bridle will act a shock absorber when the boat moves around in the wind. I got one this year and it makes a world of difference. Can't believe one does not come with the windlass option
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Kate wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:37 am Update: Replaced the rope with all chain. Windlass now works perfectly.
Nice...and thanks for the follow-up Kate.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

"Get an anchor bridle."

Thanks for the tip.
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Post by Lifelongbtr »

stifflkd wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:58 pm All chain is the better option for a winch, I heard people having a lot issues with the splice getting chewed up from the winch. A bit of advice if you have not already done so. Get an anchor bridle. You do not want all that tension on the winch and haus, plus the bridle will act a shock absorber when the boat moves around in the wind. I got one this year and it makes a world of difference. Can't believe one does not come with the windlass option
What brand/type of bridle do you use? My setup just broke so I'm looking at a replacement. I was just taking the weight off the windlass at anchor, no snubber or anything. Thinking I should upgrade my setup...too many options online!
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

I used this guy. Ordered 1/2" rope with Suncor SS Snubber hook
https://www.48northmarine.com/anchor-bridles.html

Very helpful, I requested to bypass the shackle and connect the hook directly to the thimble. 15' length is way too long for my R5. If I were to do it again I would ask to make it 10' and put an eye splice on each end.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
Lifelongbtr
Commander
Commander

Post by Lifelongbtr »

stifflkd wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 6:12 pm I used this guy. Ordered 1/2" rope with Suncor SS Snubber hook
https://www.48northmarine.com/anchor-bridles.html

Very helpful, I requested to bypass the shackle and connect the hook directly to the thimble. 15' length is way too long for my R5. If I were to do it again I would ask to make it 10' and put an eye splice on each end.
Thanks for the info, it’s odd the boat came with what I think would be a snubber with no way to actually attach it to the chain, it’s a well made rope and carabiner too big to attach to the chain. It may just be for attaching to a buoy or something else.

Like you said, I think the windless option should come with everything necessary.
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

I have a R5 and the windlass setup looks like an after thought. There is a cleat next to the windlass which I think is only used to ensure the anchor is not deployed accidentally. I would not trust it to hold the anchor when set. Better off using a bridle and tying off on the two bow cleats.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
Kate
Captain
Captain

Post by Kate »

"a cleat next to the windlass which I think is only used to ensure the anchor is not deployed accidentally."

There should be a do-not-deploy switch on the windlass -- as there is on my Lewmar v700.
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

Its not how mine was wired. Cobalt recommends throwing the breaker when not in use. Yeah thats not going to happen, tying it off to the cleat seams safer.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
Holy Smokes
Captain
Captain

Post by Holy Smokes »

stifflkd wrote: Wed Aug 10, 2022 6:50 am I have a R5 and the windlass setup looks like an after thought. There is a cleat next to the windlass which I think is only used to ensure the anchor is not deployed accidentally. I would not trust it to hold the anchor when set. Better off using a bridle and tying off on the two bow cleats.
Directions in the manual suggest to "tie-off" the anchor rode to the cleat in the windlass compartment so to remove constant pulling stresses on the winch. On our lake the tension is not that great and I rarely, if ever, tie off to the cleat.
2005 Cobalt 360, 496Mag HO's with Bravo 3X drives

LOTO - Lake of the Ozarks
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

Comes down to what you are comfortable with. Anchoring in a 15-20 mph and tying off on a cleat bolted to starboard without a backing plate would put me on edge.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"