cobalt 232 bunk support

84 Ed
Ensign
Ensign

cobalt 232 bunk support

Post by 84 Ed »

I have a 232 and trying to fit it to a Phoenix trailer. there are 4 bunks that all end evenly at the end of the trailer.

The 232 has the actual transom recessed about 14" from the extended outer running surfaces.

Can I leave the transom supported by the inner bunks and leave the outer running surfaces that extend beyond the outer bunks (by 14") unsupported ?

I figure the engine and outdrive will be supported by the inner bunks and not much weight will be on the outer longer extended running surfaces?

thanks !

Ed
84 Ed
Ensign
Ensign

Re: cobalt 232 bunk support

Post by 84 Ed »

some pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Titaniumboy »

Where do you attach your transom tiedown straps?

Edit: Wait a darn second. These are pictures of two different trailers ??
2007 Cobalt 240 with Merc 496 MAG Bravo 3
1977 18’ Beachcraft with Ford 302 V8 OMC 190
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

I get what you are trying to do and yes I think it is best to ensure that the true transom, where the keel meets the transom, is supported. Keep in mind that where you position the boat on the trailer will impact your tongue weight which typically is around 10% GVW.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
Matts19
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Matts19 »

stifflkd wrote: Tue Jul 12, 2022 2:56 pm I get what you are trying to do and yes I think it is best to ensure that the true transom, where the keel meets the transom, is supported. Keep in mind that where you position the boat on the trailer will impact your tongue weight which typically is around 10% GVW.
I am not an expert by any means, but I would agree with this. As long as the two inside bunks get very close to the edge of the transom about where the rollers are in your picture that should be fine. Lots of folks use aluminum trailers with only two bunks that would have to be positioned inside of the extended running surface.
2022 CS23 Volvo 280/DP
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

I would replace the 2 outside bunks then with longer ones so they go to the end of the transom. You want it supported.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
84 Ed
Ensign
Ensign

Post by 84 Ed »

the boat is sitting on a temporary shorelander roller trailer. the pics of the boat are to show the inset of the actual transom, and the extended outer running surface.

the empty trailer is the one I am trying to adapt to fit the boat. I attach the tie downs to the lifting eyes and then to the welded holes at end of main side frame.

Yes, I am thinking about tongue weight too.

extending the outer bunks with a welded bracket might be the best answer, with the transom/drive supporting surface over the inner bunks, that has a cross member supporting the inner bunks ends.
DEcosse
Commander
Commander

Post by DEcosse »

I'm late to this party @84Ed; you may already have completed your project by now?

My OEM Cobalt 232 trailer has a very different bunk set up to yours - there are actually 3 sets on mine

The outer ones are 4" x 64" and extend on the outer side of the chine beam; the next inboard are 6" x 108" long and are on the inside of the chine beam - both of these are outside the recessed transom area and end directly at the stern of the boat. (As per image below); the inner of those bunks is actually maybe an inch or so outside the transom recess.

20221022_121115_resized.jpg
20221022_121107_resized.jpg

Then a third set, 4" x 90" long is just off the keel, but further forward (50" from the keel to the rearmost edge). In the second image above, it shows both the relationship of the rear inner bunk to the transom recess and also the location of the forward inner bunks.

See my post in the documents section for more info - note that if you email Cobalt Support they will give you a drawing for your specific year of boat, with the appropriate dimensions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2006 Cobalt 232
Volvo Penta 8.1L OSi
Key Pensinsula, Washington