Mooring Whips...anyone use them?

WarEagle2003
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Mooring Whips...anyone use them?

Post by WarEagle2003 »

Hi everyone. In an effort to protect our new R5 as much as possible, I am looking at ways to protect it while docked at my friend’s lake house where we will spend a great deal of time. I like the idea of keeping the boat off the dock with the whips, but wanted some opinions from you all.
2019 R5 VP300
ColinC
Captain
Captain

Re: Mooring Whips...anyone use them?

Post by ColinC »

About 20 years ago we had them at my parents' lake house. They were fantastic for an 18' runabout. Regardless of lake conditions and wind, the boat NEVER touched the dock. The whips were also pretty convenient to use. The biggest challenge was making sure they were anchored (bolted) to a strong, solid surface that could take the load. You can't just screw them to deck boards. The whips need to be bolted to something robust like a beam or concrete.

Long story short, I would use whips in a heartbeat, particularly on a dock where there is risk of exposure to wind and/or rough water. Not as good as a lift, but a lift is another beast altogether.
2007 Cobalt 212 with 5.7L Volvo gi
Toronto, Canada
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

My buddy's dock is expose aluminum with sharp corners---it's a boat eater. I bought one of these in the large diameter and length and it works great. A little spendy, but totally portable. Keeps my r3 off the edge nicely. They say you can inflate/deflate on the boat, but I don't know if that would work. Works well when you are leaving it at the dock like you are talking about.

https://www.bigbumpercompany.com/
WarEagle2003
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by WarEagle2003 »

sailor55330 wrote: Tue Apr 16, 2019 1:54 pm My buddy's dock is expose aluminum with sharp corners---it's a boat eater. I bought one of these in the large diameter and length and it works great. A little spendy, but totally portable. Keeps my r3 off the edge nicely. They say you can inflate/deflate on the boat, but I don't know if that would work. Works well when you are leaving it at the dock like you are talking about.

https://www.bigbumpercompany.com/
That’s a very interesting idea. Should work great, and we could deflate it and place it in the deck box when we leave. How well has yours held up? Do the warranty against tears?
2019 R5 VP300
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

I think it had a year warranty. Website said it's 1000 dernier nylon. It's pretty heavy material with good quality D-rings. They are well made--and it's reflected in the price. I used it last summer several weekends and could see no wear. It's significantly heavier gauge than the tubes we abuse when towing. When I saw it demo'd at the boat show the guy selling them was literally jumping on them will full weight with no issues. You will need an electric pump---I have the big one and it takes a solid 5-7 mins to inflate. Sucks pretty flat and would fit in a dock box. I have the 12x24 for my R3. Here's a pic---maybe the mods can rotate it. Not a great pic, but you get the idea.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

I'm always curious how you board with a 3 foot water wiener between the dock and your boat? Jump? Same way with the whips. ..I've always wondered if the whips keep a boat away from the dock, how do you get it close enough to get on?

Seems like it would be much easier to carry 10" bumpers to use. I carry four 8" and two 10" and store them easily. Taylor make those big round bumpers in different sizes too. Tuscany swears by them.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by akorcovelos »

Where I've seen whips used they have a spring line to pull the boat to the dock for boarding.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

akorcovelos wrote: Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:22 am Where I've seen whips used they have a spring line to pull the boat to the dock for boarding.
I've never actually seen them in use but I figured it was something like that. But then I thought, if you can pull the boat in with a snag rope, couldn't the boat hit the dock in wind and waves?
"Black Boats Matter"
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by akorcovelos »

You loosen the whip lines to allow the boat to be pulled in.

1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Coolbeans, thanks for posting that Akor! Now I can see where there might be an advantage to something like that in really rough water.
"Black Boats Matter"
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

Regarding the step over—it’s not a big deal. Maybe 18inches to the swim step
WarEagle2003
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by WarEagle2003 »

I went with the Big Bumper Company. While my friend was happy to let me install whips on his deck, I think this would be easier and more versatile.
2019 R5 VP300
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

WarEagle2003 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:42 am I went with the Big Bumper Company. While my friend was happy to let me install whips on his deck, I think this would be easier and more versatile.
War--I hope it works for you. It's been very good for us.

Let me know how it goes.
WarEagle2003
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by WarEagle2003 »

sailor55330 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:32 am
WarEagle2003 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:42 am I went with the Big Bumper Company. While my friend was happy to let me install whips on his deck, I think this would be easier and more versatile.

Let me know how it goes.
Thanks!
I just got an email from them. They’re out of the 12’x24” in gray but he offered to send me two 6’x24” instead. Would you find more utility in having two 6’ over a singe 12’? Or would you just take a 12’ in Black?
2019 R5 VP300
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

WarEagle2003 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 3:01 pm
sailor55330 wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:32 am

Let me know how it goes.
Thanks!
I just got an email from them. They’re out of the 12’x24” in gray but he offered to send me two 6’x24” instead. Would you find more utility in having two 6’ over a singe 12’? Or would you just take a 12’ in Black?

LOL--that's actually funny. I ended up getting gray because they were out of black. 2 vs 1? I don't know how to respond really as I've not used the 6ft. I can tell you this, I like having the full coverage with no breaks or interruptions from bow to stern, but it is a big item to handle and move. Deflated, it probably weighs 25 lbs. Once in place, no big deal. I also like the fact that I only have to secure it on 2 points vs the potential 4 you are talking about with 2 6ft bumpers---less tie points to find and only 2 lines to handle when moving it. I could maybe see an advantage to 2 smaller bumpers if you were planning to use it "on the go". Tough call for sure, but based on the fact that you are really only looking at it for fixed dock purposes, I think I'd go with the single unit. I guess part of it is the dock itself--is it conducive to tying 2 bumpers or 1? Plus, with one long bumper, less chance of the boat "pivoting" into the dock if the smaller bumper isn't placed correctly and it's easier to adjust if you have the space. Color is purely an individual call.

FYI---it looks like they are now on Amazon and in stock in both colors.
Not sure if that helped at all.