hard start on 5.7gxi

Ahaberkorn
Commander
Commander

hard start on 5.7gxi

Post by Ahaberkorn »

While on the lake yesterday, the boat did not want to start. to get it started, had to crank and crank then feed it fuel at the right moment. once started she was fine including idle.

this is only our 3rd week with the boat so I am still learning her ways.

Air filter - metal disks with this film of either wore out foam or buildup of grease... Now just disks. Is there a foam or ??? cover for this?
Spark Plugs - no idea how old, suggestions make and model?
Battery - I was on Battery #2, I did notthink to switch because it seemed to be cranking fine.

Later once on the trailer and still in the water, I shut her off and she fired right back up.

Any suggestions on what to check for cold start problem?

Thank you
2005 Cobalt 220
Canyon Lake, Texas
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: hard start on 5.7gxi

Post by akorcovelos »

Carbed or fuel injected?
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
Ahaberkorn
Commander
Commander

Post by Ahaberkorn »

EFI, Running Half Av Gas, Half auto gas
2005 Cobalt 220
Canyon Lake, Texas
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

It's fuel Injected 320 hp Volvo. Gxi. The I stands for fuel injected.
First I would run non ethanol gas.
Volvo has a bunch of fuel pump issues. Read up on it. Paint flakes off and bam fuel problem. You can try cleaning it. Or just bite the bullet and buy a new one. It would be nice to check it first with a fuel pressure guage. Hate to guess and a not so cheap item. If it's not that. Check spark when it's acting up. They are a bit harder to diag then your old 69 Camaro. Your air filter is a flame arrestor. You should only see the metal part of it. I wouldn't think you would have any foam around it. It shouldn't be dirty. Remove it and spray carb or brake cleaner through it then air it out to dry. I wouldn't think unless it's plugged solid that is your issue.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

I would do all the easy things first. Change your fuel filter and idle/air control valve.

Do you hear any whining coming from your fuel pump? It could be at any RPM. As BB said, the fuel pump can be a problem. There's a screen inside that gets clogged up with gunk from Ethanol or paint flakes. On the older pumps some genius thought it would be a good idea to paint the inside of the pump. Go figure...
If it is a pump you can get one for about half price on eBay. It will be an oem knock off from China but will come with a warranty and work fine.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by akorcovelos »

Ahaberkorn wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:18 am EFI, Running Half Av Gas, Half auto gas
Why are you running AG in a stock engine?
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
Ahaberkorn
Commander
Commander

Post by Ahaberkorn »

akorcovelos wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 1:04 pm
Ahaberkorn wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 10:18 am EFI, Running Half Av Gas, Half auto gas
Why are you running AG in a stock engine?
Running avgas to try and stay away from Ethanol and other eco friendly engine eaters.
2005 Cobalt 220
Canyon Lake, Texas
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by akorcovelos »

You may want to try just running premium gas as Avgas is known to cause issues in stock injected motors. While its called 100LL it has tons of lead in it, and has lower specific gravity than pump gas, and the octane rating is measured differently so it's not really 100. Running it in a stock fuel injected engine in high enough concentrations can cause lean running conditions which could be part of your problem. You engine was built in '05, long after ethanol gas was mandated, the fuel system is designed to run on it.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

I've used https://www.pure-gas.org/ and other such resources to find ethanol-free regular gasoline, which won't absorb moisture and varnish engine components as fast as the normal 10% ethanol stuff around here does. I'd ditch the avgas and try regular gasoline that is ethanol-free (and with no higher octane than recommended by the engine manufacturer), and change the fuel filter and plugs while you're at it.

BTW, avgas will eat at the rubber seals in your fuel system, and you'll have to replace the o-rings, hoses, etc., every few years if you keep using it.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Ahaberkorn
Commander
Commander

Post by Ahaberkorn »

jhnmdahl wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:39 pm I've used https://www.pure-gas.org/ and other such resources to find ethanol-free regular gasoline, which won't absorb moisture and varnish engine components as fast as the normal 10% ethanol stuff around here does. I'd ditch the avgas and try regular gasoline that is ethanol-free (and with no higher octane than recommended by the engine manufacturer), and change the fuel filter and plugs while you're at it.

BTW, avgas will eat at the rubber seals in your fuel system, and you'll have to replace the o-rings, hoses, etc., every few years if you keep using it.
Thank you for the input on the AV Gas, will discontinue using it.
2005 Cobalt 220
Canyon Lake, Texas
Ahaberkorn
Commander
Commander

Post by Ahaberkorn »

jhnmdahl wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 6:39 pm I've used https://www.pure-gas.org/ and other such resources to find ethanol-free regular gasoline, which won't absorb moisture and varnish engine components as fast as the normal 10% ethanol stuff around here does. I'd ditch the avgas and try regular gasoline that is ethanol-free (and with no higher octane than recommended by the engine manufacturer), and change the fuel filter and plugs while you're at it.

Thank you for the input. Any recommendation on finding the info on Octane, plugs and oil filter?
2005 Cobalt 220
Canyon Lake, Texas
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Good Advice here guys. Please keep us posted on what your findings are.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
ColinC
Captain
Captain

Post by ColinC »

If you think it is the fuel pump issue that is common to Volvos, you may want to check out Man Cave Mechanic (mancavemechanic.com). The guy is an expert on this matter and offers a variety of solutions - new, rebuilt, aftermarket, parts. He also has some helpful content on YouTube. You may want to send him an email or give him a shout.

For oil filter I use Mobil 1. For fuel filter I use Volvo.

Good luck and keep us posted.
2007 Cobalt 212 with 5.7L Volvo gi
Toronto, Canada
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

I’ve used Sierra filters, but get that for a few bucks more many don’t want to stray from Volvo branded stuff. And I’ve always had good luck with NGK or Bosch for plugs, and I’ve been using NGK TR5IX in my boat. Mobil 1 from Walmart is good, cheap oil.

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by akorcovelos »

Ahaberkorn wrote: Mon May 06, 2019 7:19 pm

Thank you for the input. Any recommendation on finding the info on Octane, plugs and oil filter?
That motor can run regular 87 no problem, though if you get fuel on the water most marinas only have mid and premium. Plugs will are Delco 3858996, and VP oil filter 3850559.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes