Firmware upgrade on Garmin 7600?

(Stereos, Chartplotters, Fish Finders, etc.)
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Firmware upgrade on Garmin 7600?

Post by tgrace98 »

ryandmartin wrote: Tue Jun 04, 2019 8:24 pm Do you have to pay anything extra for the Active Captain functionality? Seems like a great way to plan out waypoints. I won’t take delivery for another couple weeks, and you can’t play with the app until you pair the system.
Nope it’s part of the update
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
TruckerTim
Commander
Commander

Post by TruckerTim »

Reading this after the most recent post on the Surf chat about the firmware update. I'm a little ignorant on the SD Cards. I understand where to plug it into the Garmin but what device do you put the SD Card into for the download? I don't think my laptop has a port for that..? I'm braced for the "ignorant" commentary!
2019 R7
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by tgrace98 »

TruckerTim wrote: Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:14 am Reading this after the most recent post on the Surf chat about the firmware update. I'm a little ignorant on the SD Cards. I understand where to plug it into the Garmin but what device do you put the SD Card into for the download? I don't think my laptop has a port for that..? I'm braced for the "ignorant" commentary!
you can normally buy an SD card reader that is USB.
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
Norris_Boating
Captain
Captain

Post by Norris_Boating »

Something like this.
2016 220
2019 R7 Surf
White and Red V8-380CE EVC DP (FWD) - 380 hp
TruckerTim
Commander
Commander

Post by TruckerTim »

Ahhhhh. That I understand... Old dog; new trick!
2019 R7
trs23
Commander
Commander

Post by trs23 »

I just did the upgrade again from my phone this time. Once you're on the latest update you can use the activecaptain app to download the new firmware when you're at home on wifi, then the next time you're on the boat you can open the app and it will sync it to the garmin.

Worked great!
Mjmyers
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Mjmyers »

Hey all, I just updated from v15 to v19 and had a lot of problems with the gps communicating with zero-off. I have a 2019 R5 surf, with dual 7607’s. I had to go in to the gps settings and change things up so the configuration was hopefully correct.
I kept getting a gps lost indicator which disabled surf mode.
Anyone else have these issues?
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

jhnmdahl wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:25 pm You get ONE map update as part of their guarantee that you have the latest maps with any marine product sold, but subsequent map updates come at a price.

I tend to update firmware on my various electronics devices once a new version comes out (including things like iOS) but rarely within a few days of it being released. I've seen enough revisions pulled back after bricking devices or updated right away to be the first guinea pig in the wild to "test" new software.
I'm wondering if I should wait awhile to update since I only get one update....but, I don't own a trailer so my lake probably won't change much.
How long is the warranty?
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Looks like two years, but the long answer is "it depends" - see https://www.garmin.com/en-US/legal/mari ... ty-policy/
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

Big Block Power wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 12:21 pm
tgrace98 wrote: Tue Apr 30, 2019 11:35 am hmm maybe I should do this. My 19' is on version 14 I believe.
Does it work? Leave it alone. Lol I work with jeep. Black screen of death. Seen it many times.
I haven't updated our 2019 version yet. Yesterday, on lake, I was exploring changing the screen on the right side. I wanted to change the top center reading. It had water temp on it, and I felt the depth was more important so I wanted it on top. I held the touchscreen until the change gage option came up. I was scrolling through options, couldn't find one for dept. As I was looking, a wave hit our boat, my finger touched something, and I set top to something I didn't want. Not giving up, like a dumb a$$, I did the same thing for the depth on the second row left. Again, same options came up but no water temp or depth choices. Again a wave, again accidently touched screen and changed it to date. I've now lost two readings that I like. The right side of second row of readings had engine hours, so by now I figured out not to touch it. I didn't see hours in any menu option either.

Has anyone on this site ever posted these words, "I should have listened to BBP." LOL

Any one have any experience with this or knowledge of correction? I'm going to get Micro SD and try update, but something tells me that it's not going to add new stuff to menu.
Home in Hernando, MS
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

I had no problem adding depth to my screen. I do remember that it is not intuitive.

I would have to go to my boat and let you know what group has the depth.
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Norris_Boating
Captain
Captain

Post by Norris_Boating »

DON"T change them while driving, been there done that with similar results.
Things are berried in menus and not sure where to find depth and hours only that it is there, just keep looking while at the dock.
Upgrading firmware doesn't change the menu's so while it won't help the menu issue it will likely make the system boot up faster.
And before you go looking air temp isn't active as there isn't an air temp sensor.
2016 220
2019 R7 Surf
White and Red V8-380CE EVC DP (FWD) - 380 hp
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

Thanks for the quick responses. We went back out on the water today and I tried again.
On the system screen, several gages showed up but not the ones I wanted. There was and arrow in the bottom middle indicating more choices.
Every time I tried to get it to scroll down and see other choices by touching the arrow, it gave me the choice close to the arrow.
Today, I tried swiping down, like you do on phone with pictures, and it worked. All the things I needed where there and I was able to complete what I started out wanting, the depth being in the most prominent position.
Home in Hernando, MS
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

This might help someone.
Youtube video from Garmin.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGVCGlaf9Vk

It also has some Cobalt information that I have been looking for and asking about. I hope the info on controlling the zones on the premium sound proves to be true.
Home in Hernando, MS