Wakeboard Wake (vs Surf wave) Setup on R7 Surf?

airbish
Ensign
Ensign

Wakeboard Wake (vs Surf wave) Setup on R7 Surf?

Post by airbish »

Hi all. Quick question for the forum.

How do you best set up a wakeboard wake (not surf wave)?

We are loving our 2019 R7 Surf here on Lake Lanier, GA. Upgraded earlier this year from our original 2006 220.

So far we love everything about the boat (room, ride, quality...and the surf wave).

The only issue we are having is trying to get a decent wakeboard wave out of it. I have tried playing with different combinations of ballast fill, manual tab positioning and trim and can get to anything without at least some washout all the way up to the boat. In contrast our old 220 put out a nice clean (but not big) wake. Would love to be able to surf and wake behind the new one.

I have found lots of videos on commentary on surf wave setup (which is kind of funny since it's pretty much push-button), but nothing on setup for a wakeboard wake on these particular boats.

Anyone have this dialed in?

Thanks!
MnLakeBum
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Wakeboard Wake (vs Surf wave) Setup on R7 Surf?

Post by MnLakeBum »

Are you looking for a bigger wake for aerials? I've only pulled a couple wakeboarders behind our R5 Surf that wanted a bigger wake and I was able to get it easily by filling up two of the ballast tanks about half full. If you're looking for a smaller wake, I think the mass of the R7 along with the hull design won't allow for a smaller wake like your 220. When I slalom ski I do it behind our Marker One because the wake is much smaller than the R5 wake even though the pontoon is 1,100 pounds heavier.
2018 R5 Surf 380 VP
2016 Marker One 28’ with 350 Verado
2019 Boston Whaler 230 Vantage 300 Verado
HairyGorilla
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Re: Wakeboard Wake (vs Surf wave) Setup on R7 Surf?

Post by HairyGorilla »

So you fill the two side tanks halfway - do you do anything else? Adjust the trim or just keep auto trim turned on & surf system in manual mode?

Looking forward to also giving this a try.