Fuel discharge during filling process

(190 through 360)
Ed Blake
Ensign
Ensign

Fuel discharge during filling process

Post by Ed Blake »

'06 262, during fueling process fuel "burps" back out of filler neck and vent. This happen regardless how slow you pump fuel. I can visibly see fuel vapors coming from vent. How does one access the fuel/vent system to check for kinked hoses?
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Fuel discharge during filling process

Post by jhnmdahl »

Do you actually get liquid fuel out of the vent while filling? Are you sure it's gas and not water? There is often a loop in the vent line to keep water from getting into the tank - I wonder if water (or maybe even gas) is getting in the vent line and burping out as you fill the boat? You could possibly fix this by making the loop higher than the vent, or shielding the vent from rain, etc.

Bigblock may have an answer, too - he tears into these more than most of us.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

I don't know the 262 very well. Can you get some pictures of where the fuel fill is and a picture of inside the boat where it is also. I just took my fuel line off on my 220. It was a bitch no matter how you tried. I took the speaker out and I could reach it barely. They use 2 house clamps on the hose to the filler. Again no fun. My filler had a 45 degree bend to it so the rubber hose didn't kink. If yours is straight then a rubber hose you could be kinked. Otherwise you have to take side panels off to gain access. I got lucky. If you have long arms that's a bonus. I would try to blow into the vent to see if you can. I never tried myself but that might help. They have a fuel access cover under my middle seat to get at the sender easy. NOT that will help just saying. Not sure what all lines go to the sender.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Ed Blake
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Ed Blake »

I currently have the boat in storage, sorry no pics. I guess at this point I need to try and remove side panels for access and verify that the vent line has no low spot, not allowing vapors to escape during filling. I get backsplash out of both the vent line and fill line during fueling process only, no matter how slow I pump fuel. To answer Jhnmdahl question about weather water or fuel, it is fuel. I almost always fuel at a gas station versus marina because of the concern of fuel on the water. Not sure of the amount of fuel but it is enough to make a mess down the side and stern. Embarrassing for the quality of boat Cobalt is.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

I know a buddy that had a 262 with an 8.2 and he has no issues at all. I think around a 2010.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!