Unprecedented Times

(non-boating; no politics!)
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Unprecedented Times

Post by AsLan7 »

Seven weeks after the first case of COVID-19 was confirmed in the U.S., the spread of the virus that causes the disease has done widespread damage to critical economic sectors in our country and across the globe. As of today, there are now more than 118,000 cases in 114 countries, and 4,291 people have lost their lives. (that we know of). Many more are in hospitals fighting off the virus with many more deaths to come.

The CDC and WHO websites provide factual information that will help quell un-factual hysteria.

With that being said, it may be time to do the unthinkable....hunker down in your Cobalt, go to an isolated cove, and throw out a fishing pole. ;)

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Norris_Boating
Captain
Captain

Re: Unprecedented Times

Post by Norris_Boating »

Small silver lining is, at least fuel will be cheap for the foreseeable future.

Be safe, stay happy and good luck with the fishing!
2016 220
2019 R7 Surf
White and Red V8-380CE EVC DP (FWD) - 380 hp
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

Well, this is a challenge we’ve never seen before. I am kind of shocked at the response to the virus. Yes it’s serious, yes we need to take steps to limit interactions in order to not over tax our health system, but the world is not ending as the markets seems to be indicating. . I’ve never had a dimes worth of faith in the quality and character of our leadership, (both sides) and it’s showing up in a lack of confidence.

Personally, I’m Planning on going as close to “all in” as I’ve ever gone. An election coming up, summer weather coming soon... LOTS of positives on the horizon.
This will go away as fast as it comes.
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

I have watched the press, read the articles, looked at history, etc. There is no denying it is not a good situation, but, I do believe media is over-hyping things a bit. Covid-19, if I am researching correctly, is still a form of the flu and the majority of the population that contract it will experience flu like symptoms but are not at unusually high risk of mortality. Obviously, there are higher risk populations (elderly, those with underlying health issues). I am slightly surprised by the level of precautions being taken--not challenging, just surprised. I am starting to see several meetings and conventions in my industry be cancelled or postponed (all while my company says "travel on!...nothing here to see").

Where it all ends up, I don't know, but I do think the recent stock market actions are somewhat of a knee-jerk reaction to media hype. Everyone is reacting like this is the virus that will end human existence, which no scientist has said, as far as I know. I understand stocking up on things like cleaning products and sanitizers, but I can't get my head around the race for toilet paper.

Now, fishing from a Cobalt---there's no reason at all to suggest such drastic measures. What's next---eating Cheetos while fishing?
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Now, fishing from a Cobalt---there's no reason at all to suggest such drastic measures. What's next---eating Cheetos while fishing?

:lol: :lol: :lol: ...Awesome

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Ytmsn »

Toilet paper? Really? I stopped at a WalMart yesterday just to see, and the entire row was wiped out. (see what I did there?)

Seriously, this is nuts. I deal with the public all the time, and from driving habits to how folks act never ceases to suprise me. I just wish people could all be perfect, like us! 🤓

Yesterday morning they called for me to book my flights to West Palm Beach for Barrett-Jackson in April. Then yesterday afternoon they called back and said the auction has been canceled. Wh whaaat?

My business partner took his daughter to her first Thunder game the other night. They went through all the jazz and hype leading up, introduced both teams, rahrahrah, then nothing. The dancing girls came out, then the halftime singer, then nothing. Finally, 30 minutes past tip off, they canceled the game because a guy on the other side had it. He was still back at the hotel, but they canceled, emptied the arena, and then sanitized the entire place.

Sooo, I'm going to the lake next weekend, and I may stay there for the rest of my life. You'll be able to recognize me, as I'll be the driver in a black boat with his head wrapped in duct tape to keep it from exploding!
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by tgrace98 »

So I work for a major IT supply chain and solutions integrator and we are already seeing the wrath that covid-19 is causing. Lead times on products are going from 30 days to 90 days which is good times. Cisco has started to offer free webex subscriptions during the Pandemic so I am sure that is going to take up a lot of my time setting those up.

I'm sad to see all the sports have been put on hold. I completely get why but as a big baseball, golf, hockey fan it sucks to see things getting cancelled or delayed.
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

Good times indeed. My company does source components from China and a few PFG's....we are being told that production is getting back to normal as things are "leveling out and returning to normal". My wife is a nurse in a large hospital and they aren't doing anything different. Folks, I really don't know on this one. Is it hype, panic, real, somewhere in-between? As I said before, it is still a form of flu, which in normal healthy people is not a severe risk for mortality. If you look around, there are already people starting to come out who have weathered the illness and survived with no long term effects. Wash my hands more....check.....don't kiss strange sick people....check......reduce travel and face to face meetings....uh, well, check-ish.....stock up on toilet paper....that's not gonna wipe out the virus. See what I did there?
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by akorcovelos »

The press is worse than the virus at this point. All the local schools are closing, March Madness played in empty stadiums, the whole TP thing, people need to think for themselves. We have a couple companies we recently brought in through acquisition and those projects are effectively on hold because we can't get hardware on site for domain merging because it comes from China with no estimated delivery date...Mrs. Akor is an RN for a local hospital and the problem with COVID-19 is pneumonia, so people with respiratory issues already, or weakened immune systems are the ones that need to be extra careful. For otherwise healthy people it typically presents as a cold or mild flu. The precautions are the same as the flu, so I'm kind of disgusted about how many people are acting like washing your hands is a new concept.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

So true gents.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Holy Smokes
Captain
Captain

Post by Holy Smokes »

UGH!!! This thing just forced me to cancel a week's vacation in Jamaica. Company policy requires any international travel to CDC Level 2 countries awards you a gift of a 14 day quarantine upon return. I know, I know another added 2 weeks sounds great, but unfortunately that doesn't work for me.
2005 Cobalt 360, 496Mag HO's with Bravo 3X drives

LOTO - Lake of the Ozarks
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

The stores are out of TP so I'm going to buy a new boat.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Tuscany
Admiral
Admiral

Post by Tuscany »

It’s the end of the world here LOL.
People calling our store to see if we still have product..
2017 Cobalt R7
"Cobalt" Blue
6.2L VP 380 or 430

#FARCON Marine
NautiGirl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by NautiGirl »

Ytmsn wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:34 am Toilet paper? Really? I stopped at a WalMart yesterday just to see, and the entire row was wiped out. (see what I did there?)

Seriously, this is nuts. I deal with the public all the time, and from driving habits to how folks act never ceases to suprise me. I just wish people could all be perfect, like us! 🤓

Yesterday morning they called for me to book my flights to West Palm Beach for Barrett-Jackson in April. Then yesterday afternoon they called back and said the auction has been canceled. Wh whaaat?

My business partner took his daughter to her first Thunder game the other night. They went through all the jazz and hype leading up, introduced both teams, rahrahrah, then nothing. The dancing girls came out, then the halftime singer, then nothing. Finally, 30 minutes past tip off, they canceled the game because a guy on the other side had it. He was still back at the hotel, but they canceled, emptied the arena, and then sanitized the entire place.

Sooo, I'm going to the lake next weekend, and I may stay there for the rest of my life. You'll be able to recognize me, as I'll be the driver in a black boat with his head wrapped in duct tape to keep it from exploding!
Just got back from the lake. The hospital system I work for has a calm confidence that we will handle this ok. That said everyone has a plan until they get punched in the face. We had a patient test positive for it, they have recovered and been released so thats good. We are also working on setting up drive through testing, also good. The last week has been crazy with my entire team freaking out, and really I dont blame them, the unknown is scary.

Really didn't have a reason to make the drive to the lake, just needed to unplug for a bit. Worked on cleaning up some of the stereo work from last season. Drank a beer didn't look at the internet and just relaxed. Since we dont keep the boat close to home I have never really garage boated. Today I did, and it was everything I thought it could be. I am in a much better place now. I think we all need to unplug from this madness from time to time.

But now that I am home I am in full prep mode. Gotta keep this place COVID 19 free while also providing armed security for my toilet paper shipments.
20200302_151427.jpg
JEFF & KATIE
TeamNAUTI
Ebony Black 2017 R5 8.2 Merc Big Block
CANDIED RED 2007 222 320hp 6.2L - Sold
KENTUCKY
"Pudgy the had down harder!"
WALCOWI
Ensign
Ensign

Post by WALCOWI »

There are some silver linings to be found here. While running errands today, I enjoyed not having to deal with traffic as the roads were nearly empty. I stopped for groceries, while the shelves were nearly decimated, there were no lines at the registers and fewer idiots blocking the aisles - I was in and out in record time. I am in the market for a new SUV - I bet I can negotiate a heck of a deal now. This may be a fantastic time to order that new Cobalt!