Lets see your subwoofer

(Stereos, Chartplotters, Fish Finders, etc.)
xlint89
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Lets see your subwoofer

Post by xlint89 »

I've read through all 8 pages of "subwoofer" from the search function trying to find pics of where people are installing their subs and didn't come up with very many. I did find a number of people looking for pictures as well, so I thought it might be a good thread for future Cobalt owners looking to add or upgrade their stereo.

Please post a picture, model of boat, model of subwoofer and type of enclosure. Finally, what you think about the sound.

1997 Bryant 212 Limted located under the helm. (2) JL 10W5 in ported box that are "corner loaded" using JL 600/1

Sounded pretty good, but not as good as I had hoped. Hit much better on certain notes, but would shake your lemonade in the bottle.

1998 Cobalt 252 located in the engine compartment. JL 13W3 in a sealed box using a JL 200/2

Never really heard it, but location would be poor IMO. The compartment is designed to deaden the sound of the engine. So it would be more of a boat shaker rather than a music maker.

****NOTE***** That was a previous picture, the bilge is now clean. :oops: :oops: :oops:

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Lets see your subwoofer

Post by AsLan7 »

Nice thread X89.

I rotated a couple of your pics for ya' . Great setups you had/have brutha.

We are in phase 2 of our stereo install. Will post pics when complete.

Enjoy the music my friend....loudly! :D

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by akorcovelos »

This was my old 21’ Webbcraft. It actually sounded much better than I thought it would. The rear seat makes a perfect box, it’s where I plan to put mine.

Hard to find a good pic, you can see the two twelves in the rear seat storage.
1D43D77B-B075-4D86-83B4-A267F9966B6A.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Wet Sounds 10 inch. 300 watts. Htx amp
It rattles the dash so it's turned down to keep the boat together. Installed my own leds. 2003 220.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
xlint89
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by xlint89 »

Thanks for the assist A7.

Akor, that's one of the options I was contemplating. Putting maybe (3) 10" infinite baffles in the back seat. (can't believe you had enough height to install 12's)

Good looking foot massager you got there BBP. I assume that's an infinite baffle (free air) install, or is it a sealed box?

Do we know who's boat this is in this video?

I got questions about that down firing set up
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by akorcovelos »

Let’s just say those covers hid some creative cutting to get those to fit, lol.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

xlint89 wrote: Thu May 07, 2020 10:34 pm Thanks for the assist A7.

Akor, that's one of the options I was contemplating. Putting maybe (3) 10" infinite baffles in the back seat. (can't believe you had enough height to install 12's)

Good looking foot massager you got there BBP. I assume that's an infinite baffle (free air) install, or is it a sealed box?

Do we know who's boat this is in this video?

I got questions about that down firing set up

Those subs are sick in that video xl89. Thanks for posting.

We installed a simple RF 10” Punch subwoofer during phase one of our install a couple of years ago. It’s good but it is currently the limfac of our updated system. May upgrade down the road with a JL now that they’ve updated their M6 series look with the sport grill and RGB lighting. We like the Wet Sounds look that BBP has too. Not sure. RF works fine, looks good, and Bass is solid. Dedicated sub volume buttons on the head unit and remotes are one of my favorite features for sub tweaking while cranking tunes. 👌

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
xlint89
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by xlint89 »

That's an impressive set up in that video. Figured the owner would be a member.

It's got me contemplating a down firing sub in the same location. The only twist though is considering installing a port from the outside so the sound makes it out of the compartment it's in. The sound should bounce off the wall on the other side of the walk through. (I'm hoping)
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

xlint89 wrote: Fri Jun 19, 2020 9:56 pm That's an impressive set up in that video. Figured the owner would be a member.

It's got me contemplating a down firing sub in the same location. The only twist though is considering installing a port from the outside so the sound makes it out of the compartment it's in. The sound should bounce off the wall on the other side of the walk through. (I'm hoping)
We hate losing any storage space to subwoofers. Big, bold, with a small mounting footprint is normally our goal. Kind of an oxymoron really. :lol:

If space isn’t a priority, I say go for it. .....Looking forward to you documenting your build (with pics) XL89. :D

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
xlint89
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by xlint89 »

I absolutely understand. I honestly don't think I will lose very much under there with what I have planned.

The other option was to get the JL Audio 12" infinite baffle. But, to do that properly, you need to have a pretty good sized "box" (3 cu ft). I've read that the performance is decreased if the air from the back of the woofer is able to escape to the front of the woofer.

Plus you need to do some serious reinforcing for that sub. Just screwing it onto that flimsy fiberglass that flexes would seriously diminish performance as the entire speaker vibrates instead of just the speaker's cone.
shrfdeputy
Captain
Captain

Post by shrfdeputy »

Here is a video of my system on my 252. It shows where my subs are. They hit incredibly hard.

1995 252
VP 7.4 GL
Holy Smokes
Captain
Captain

Post by Holy Smokes »

Full Fusion, Arc Audio & Bluave system by Waves & Wheels.
2005 Cobalt 360, 496Mag HO's with Bravo 3X drives

LOTO - Lake of the Ozarks
xlint89
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by xlint89 »

Good stuff guys. Thanks

Hey Deputy. What amp you running to those speakers?
shrfdeputy
Captain
Captain

Post by shrfdeputy »

xlint89 wrote: Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:21 pm Good stuff guys. Thanks

Hey Deputy. What amp you running to those speakers?
I have a JL 800/8 running the house and transom speakers, and a JL 600 running the subs.
1995 252
VP 7.4 GL
xlint89
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by xlint89 »

I realized there have been a number of subs added to boats lately and no pictures.....

Then I realized I didn't even add mine. :lol:

JL Audio M6IB12 subwoofer.

3 cu ft Sealed enclosure

JL Audio MHD750/1

Location is decent. More sound towards the bow than the cockpit, but still pretty powerful.

Speaker does protrude into the walkway about 1 1/4". The ski locker hatch clears it with no problem. It can be a mild hazard for feet when walking past it if not paying attention.

Speaker is very powerful when properly powered.

I think ideal location would be under helm facing the cockpit.

Overall, pretty happy with performance. :mrgreen: