Changing your New Generation VP impeller

greenhut
Captain
Captain

Changing your New Generation VP impeller

Post by greenhut »

This info applies to at least the latest V8-380/430 and any other Volvo Penta using impeller part number 2170045.

First, on some boats, the impeller can easily be changed in the water. On others, when you remove the plate off the face of the seawater pump or a pump hose, water will continue to flow into the boat. I learned the hard way that the R5 is in the latter category. You can still do the change in the water if you are brave or must - the bilge pump easily can out-pump the flow of water into the boat, but a much better idea to do it on land. Seating the intentionally slightly oversized O-ring with water rushing by can be tricky, and it is just more risky stressful overall. If you are brave, changing in the water has the advantage of allowing easy testing as soon as you are done.

What you will need:
  • 8mm socket
  • VP impeller kit 21700445 (DO NOT buy the non OEM/VP copy - it is not threaded and will be very difficult to remove!) Don't just get the impeller itself either. The new o-ring is a MUST, and its nice to have the new sets of bolts, lock washers and o-rings.
  • A tool to pull the impeller. This impeller is really tight in the housing. The housing metal is soft, and scoring it with a screwdriver or needle-nose will impair the function of the pump. I got the plastic Sherwood 25105 (look on ebay - $19 delivered). I also ordered a metal bolt 3/4"-16 thread, but the Sherwood is well made, threads in the impeller nicely, and provides a convenient grip for removal. Mark (mdadgar) has ordered the VP part (I cant find it) which is a bolt inside a bolt. This might be even better - we'll see.
  • Glycerin - don't skimp here. Get Glycerin. CVS sells it here. Volvo used to include a small tube but stopped. You will want to lube the new impeller so it doesn't get damaged when it briefly runs dry after the change. Do not use anything like Vaseline as it eats away rubber.
2.jpeg
IMG_1246.JPEG

Time to change the impeller...
  1. You're out of the water, time to remove the old impeller. Use the 8mm socket to loosen each of the 4 bolts until the housing face can come loose. Dont pull the bolts out - just get them out of the thread - there are small o-rings on each that hold the bolt to the housing face. Avoids bolts, washers, etc dropping into the bilge too. Note how "loose" the bolts are! When re-installing you must not over-tighten or you will ruin the pump. Remove the pump housing face.

3.jpeg

1.jpeg
  2. Remove the single large o-ring. It probably is still sitting in the pump, but can fall out into the bilge. Put it somewhere you wont confuse with the new o-ring.
  3. Now thread whatever you are using to pull the impeller into the center of the impeller. If there aren't threads, the last change was done with a non OEM part, or it was installed backwards. In this case, you have no choice but to try a couple needle-nose pliers to work it out, but take care not to scratch the inside of the pump.
  4. As gently as possible, work the old impeller out of the pump. It will take some force. I found that the puller I had alone was not adequate. Some light tapping on either side of the handle with a ratchet made it easy to work out. You can also see that simply threading in the puller as far as it would go caused the impeller to push out. The "bolt in a bolt" puller is likely to be a better solution. Could also insert a bolt or plastic "shim" before threading in the puller.
  5. Lube the new impeller liberally with glycerin. Insert into pump. Don't worry about the direction of the vanes - they will self correct once the motor is running.
    When it inserting the new impeller, it is critical to insert with the threaded side facing out to make subsequent removal easier. Perhaps use the puller as a pusher to be sure....
  6. Remove the old bolts, lock washers, o-rings from the housing face, and install the new ones - bolt and lock washer on the outside, o-ring on the inside.
  7. Put the new o-ring into the groove on the pump. You may notice the old one seems to fit nicely, and the new one seems too big. You must use the new o-ring. I didn't (because my first try I couldn't pull the impeller), and after reassembling it would leak badly. Since it is a little large, do your best to center on the groove.
  8. Push the housing cover in place and hold in the center to keep the o-ring in position. Tighten bolts (I used alternating/progressive tightening)- DO NOT OVER-TIGHTEN! I don't know the torque, but it isn't much.
  9. Once in the water, it is imperative to test, observe, and be able to have the boat out of the water if you have a leak. If there is a leak, and you used a new o-ring, it is most likely the o-ring out of the groove - don't just tighten the bolts - the housing metal is easily stripped.
  10. Once the engine is operating, Closely monitor engine temps - at least more intensely for the next hour of operation. Brand new impellers have been known to fail!

Hope this helps. A bit verbose, but figured better to help anyone that hasn't done stuff like this. Please add any other tips/corrections!

Impeller tool 25105:
IMG_1247.JPEG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Changing your New GenerationVP impeller

Post by akorcovelos »

Great info for the site!
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
greenhut
Captain
Captain

Re: Changing your New Generation VP impeller

Post by greenhut »

Either I've lost my mind (likely), or the forum isn't allowing me to edit my initial post.

When it inserting the new impeller, it is critical to insert with the threaded side facing out to make subsequent removal easier. Perhaps use the puller as a pusher to be sure....
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

greenhut wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:41 pm Either I've lost my mind (likely), or the forum isn't allowing me to edit my initial post.

Fantastic stuff GH. Thank you for the contribution!

I inserted the info you wanted to edit above adding it to point 5. Is that where you wanted it?

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
cmattj
Admiral
Admiral

Post by cmattj »

Nice tutorial Green👍🏼
2008 272 , 496 HO fo SHO

California Delta
Table Rock Lake

#FARCON
greenhut
Captain
Captain

Post by greenhut »

AsLan7 wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 2:09 pm
greenhut wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 1:41 pm Either I've lost my mind (likely), or the forum isn't allowing me to edit my initial post.

Fantastic stuff GH. Thank you for the contribution!

I inserted the info you wanted to edit above adding it to point 5. Is that where you wanted it?

Yes - perfect - thanks
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Thanks I would also change the title to the new generation VP impeller.

Very nice job GH
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

Nice writeup - thanks for sharing! I think users are allowed to edit their posts for a brief time after posting, then they become permanent (e.g., so other posts in the thread referencing the original post make sense). But Aslan or I can always tweak an old post if there’s a good reason, like making sure a writeup is complete and accurate.

Thanks again - John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Jeeper
Captain
Captain

Post by Jeeper »

Good information, I just ordered the puller and VP kit on Amazon. I already have a aftermarket impeller, but I would hate to ruin a boating trip not having the correct parts.
2019 R5 Surf 380 VP.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Big Block Power wrote: Thu May 21, 2020 7:17 pm Thanks I would also change the title to the new generation VP impeller.

Very nice job GH
Done 8-)
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
greenhut
Captain
Captain

Post by greenhut »

Thanks AsLan for adding the extra pics, links, and corrections.

One other interesting thing I have noted on my R5. I have had the seawater pump face removed two different times with the boat in the water.

The first time, water continued to steadily flow into the bilge - enough to sink the boat eventually if the bilge wasnt operating or the battery died. The second time, no water flowed into the boat once the pump drained - even after pulling the impeller.

This is really puzzling to me. If the inlet on the gimbal is higher than the pump, and the hoses and oil cooler stay full of water, water should always flow when removing the cover. My only theory is that since I keep my boat in dry stack, when the boat is pulled, the water between the pump and the gimbal drains with the pitch of the forks. The first time, when water flowed, the boat had been operated in the water and not pulled. The second time, they had just put it in the water.
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
tbully
Commander
Commander

Post by tbully »

Printing this and putting in my "oh sh*t" kit along with tools and a spare impeller! Thanks!
2017 R7 6.0 430 VP
2019 R7 6.2 430 VP
mdadgar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mdadgar »

OK, Volvo impeller "special tool" arrived today.

IMG_0460.jpg

I ordered it from marinepartsexpress.com for $15.33 plus $12 USPS shipping.

Haven't tried it yet to make sure it will screw into my impeller, but I will do that and report back.

- Mark
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2013 Cobalt A25, 6.0 VP 380hp "More Cowbell"
Monte Sereno, CA (winter) | Lake Don Pedro (summer)
Boats are for when I'm not racing cars
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

I figured this would only apply to newer or bigger engines, but looking at the Sierra replacement impeller waiting to be put in my boat I noticed that it's threaded on one end and I would likely benefit from one of these tools myself (I've got the 5.7L V8-225, same as the V8-300 and 98% the same as the V8-320). I'll order one of those black Sherwood tools and keep it in the boat tool kit. Thanks!

John
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
greenhut
Captain
Captain

Post by greenhut »

jhnmdahl wrote: Fri May 22, 2020 1:06 pm I figured this would only apply to newer or bigger engines, but looking at the Sierra replacement impeller waiting to be put in my boat I noticed that it's threaded on one end and I would likely benefit from one of these tools myself (I've got the 5.7L V8-225, same as the V8-300 and 98% the same as the V8-320). I'll order one of those black Sherwood tools and keep it in the boat tool kit. Thanks!

John
John - If the one Mark got is threaded properly for our impellers, I would go with that over the Sherwood. I already have the Sherwood, and it works, but like the ease of pushing the impeller out with the bolt in bolt design.
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover