Motor Hydrolocked

joe255558
Ensign
Ensign

Motor Hydrolocked

Post by joe255558 »

I have an R5 Surf with 50 hours. Went to start the motor after everything running fine the day before and heard click, then smell of something burning and smoke was coming from the bottom of the starter. Dealer changes the started then determines the motor is hydrolocked? Has this happened to others? What is the long term fix? I have absolutely no idea how this could happen.

They are saying I need a new engine and Volvo is slow to agree?
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Motor Hydrolocked

Post by akorcovelos »

Is it under warranty? If so I’d be pushing for a new engine.

If you’re on your own with this pull the plugs and crank the motor over until water stops spitting out the plug holes. Next do a compression test and report the numbers here.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

joe255558 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:58 am I have an R5 Surf with 50 hours. Went to start the motor after everything running fine the day before and heard click, then smell of something burning and smoke was coming from the bottom of the starter. Dealer changes the started then determines the motor is hydrolocked? Has this happened to others? What is the long term fix? I have absolutely no idea how this could happen.

They are saying I need a new engine and Volvo is slow to agree?
Hey Joe2. Welcome to the CobaltChat forum. So glad you found us!

Sorry to hear about your hydrolock woes. You may want to PM basketballtitan as to what helped move his resolution along for a new motor. This is disconcerting if becoming an issue with certain motors & Cobalt models and will need to be addressed by the installers.

Please keep us updated on what the dealer will be doing for you. Btw, what year is your R5? Any pics.

Again, welcome aboard mate.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
joe255558
Ensign
Ensign

Post by joe255558 »

It’s a 2019 that I bought it brand new. The dealer has the boat and said they can get the motor to turn at all. They are working with Volvo but nothing has been done yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Gorgeous colors Joe. I rotated the pics for ya'. Taking pics in landscape mode or taking a screen shot first and then uploading works best. Otherwise I'll rotate them for you.

Dealer's have been swamped with these unprecedented circumstances. I'm sure they will step up to the plate though...eventually. 8-)

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
joe255558
Ensign
Ensign

Post by joe255558 »

Thanks for helping me out with the pics. Still nothing on the motor. I’m trying to be patient but failing.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

I love the colors. This is my take on this issue.
So these surf boats are loaded with water in the rear end. Sits Lower in the water So let off the gas and suck in water. The risers are too low then Done deal
I'm very easy letting off the gas on mine.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Big Block Power wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:57 pm I love the colors. This is my take on this issue.
So these surf boats are loaded with water in the rear end. Sits Lower in the water So let off the gas and suck in water. The risers are too low then Done deal
Not a bad theory although Basktballtitan’s R5 is not a surf model. There may be something more going on that will require a mod. With three members now having this issue, I wouldn’t be surprised to see others come out of the woodwork to compare notes as Dealers make this right with customers.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

AsLan7 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:12 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:57 pm I love the colors. This is my take on this issue.
Not a bad theory although Basktballtitan’s R5 is not a surf model. There may be something more going on that will require a mod. With three members now having this issue, I wouldn’t be surprised to see others come out of the woodwork to compare notes as Dealers make this right with customers.

I'm with the coming off plane fast and sucking it in. Also I have to read as I forgot what it was. But I think the engine should idle a bit after that or something like that to prevent it.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Big Block Power wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:26 pm

I'm with the coming off plane fast and sucking it in. Also I have to read as I forgot what it was. But I think the engine should idle a bit after that or something like that to prevent it.
The dealers will definitely try to blame it on driver error first. That’s what they tried to do with GF ....and he’s been driving boats for a lifetime. :roll:

C’mon Cobalt. Figure this one out.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

AsLan7 wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:46 pm
Big Block Power wrote: Wed Jun 17, 2020 8:26 pm

The dealers will definitely try to blame it on driver error first. That’s what they tried to do with GF ....and he’s been driving boats for a lifetime. :roll:

C’mon Cobalt. Figure this one out.

I also think the risers are too low. They should be higher above the waterline. It's a Volvo issue. And what info they got from Cobalt engineering About the measurements to run.
Remember the one that locked up going on a trailer. Transom low in the water and on and off the gas. Just thinking out loud. They other one was slowing down going to the slip.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
joe255558
Ensign
Ensign

Post by joe255558 »

It's really hard for me to understand. We had been out surfing but then went to dinner at a marina. We drove back to the dock after dinner at a very casual pace as it was after dark. Pulled it into the slip at no wake speed then put it up on the lift. If water would have entered while surfing, would it have ran after that?

I don't have a 100% confirmation, but it looks like they will be replacing the engine. The dealer says they are one signature away.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

I always like these guys over on OSO
Good read but too much.
https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/gen ... ion-3.html
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!