Speakersocks

(Stereos, Chartplotters, Fish Finders, etc.)
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Speakersocks

Post by ajcampen »

Just purchased JL M6 7.7 tower speakers and started looking for covers

Came across speakersocks.com and spoke with the guy who runs it on the phone. He said his material is similar to under armor but thicker. He seems to believe that neoprene can dry out the rubber components over time. The pair is like $60+5 shipping.

He sent me a pic of covers on a cobalt with the logo. The logo is $20 extra and looked sweet. The larger two covers are on tower racks

Anyone agree with his info or use these? I think I am going to buy them.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Speakersocks

Post by jhnmdahl »

The "surround" on speakers is usually butyl rubber, and does age and deteriorate with time, particularly in heat, UV light, or when exposed to oxygen. Seems like a set of covers could avoid some UV exposure at least. Interesting idea.
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

We have the Wet Sounds neoprene covers on our Rev 10’s. It’s too early to tell how they’ll hold up. We sprayed them with 3M 303 for extra protection. They do fit very snug and are easy to take on and off.

Will report back on durability and effectiveness.

I like the Cobalt customization on the socks.

Let us know how you like them.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Aj told me which I find hard to believe that speakersox says the neoprene also causes the rubber on the speakers to dry out. Hard to believe. Mines in the garage covered so it doesn't get much sun anyways. I like the cobalt C also but something about those side speaker covers torn me off and I think that's why I didn't buy them back in the day.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Post by dsthomas »

I have used the speaker socks guy since 2012, speaker and rack covers for my 242, A25 and now our R7. I mainly just use them when towing at night to keep the bugs off, I keep my boat in the garage so I can’t speak to the UV resistance or other things you mentioned. But I can tell you that the covers themselves hold up really well as far as material and stitching. The guy that runs it is a good guy to do business with. If you have any problems he’ll take good care of you. Stands behind the quality of his work. The picture he sent you is actually my boat :0). Anyway, hope that helps you.
Kansas City, MO
2011 242 VP 5.7 GXi (Sold)
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2020 R7 Surf VP 380 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by akorcovelos »

All I can add is I never used socks on my WetSounds tower speakers and they definitely deteriorate over time. Had to replace the speakers after 4 seasons because the boat was wet slipped and the cover didn’t go over the tower, so they were outside uncovered for 4 months a year. When we put a tower on the Cobalt I’ll be getting covers of some sort. Keep us posted on how they hold up.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
ajcampen
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by ajcampen »

akorcovelos wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:08 am All I can add is I never used socks on my WetSounds tower speakers and they definitely deteriorate over time. Had to replace the speakers after 4 seasons because the boat was wet slipped and the cover didn’t go over the tower, so they were outside uncovered for 4 months a year. When we put a tower on the Cobalt I’ll be getting covers of some sort. Keep us posted on how they hold up.
Will do my friend. I am going to get an over the tower cover soon as I think the mooring cover sucks a bit.
Didn’t have to take speaker Sox off to play music which is nice
2016 R7 VP 380
2014 220S Merc 5.0L (sold)
Columbus, OH
Chautauqua, NY
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

ajcampen wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:57 pm
akorcovelos wrote: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:08 am All I can add is I never used socks on my WetSounds tower speakers and they definitely deteriorate over time. Had to replace the speakers after 4 seasons because the boat was wet slipped and the cover didn’t go over the tower, so they were outside uncovered for 4 months a year. When we put a tower on the Cobalt I’ll be getting covers of some sort. Keep us posted on how they hold up.
Will do my friend. I am going to get an over the tower cover soon as I think the mooring cover sucks a bit.
Didn’t have to take speaker Sox off to play music which is nice
I love the Wet Sounds neoprene covers but we are starting to notice a slight fading from black to brown. For now we have our bimini shade on the tower protecting them. To hedge my bets, I spoke with Jim Phillips at Speaker Sox as well. Great guy. We had an order mix up on my part and he promptly sent out the Rev10 sox (vs the Rev10Pro sox that I had received) after we talked.

I'll attempt to give an update on fit and durability after a season or two. Btw I had asked if he could make the Cobalt logos bigger but he is unable due to his contract agreement with Cobalt. Funny as you would think CB would want to go bigger for the advertising. :?
sp.jpg

sp.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
BimmerAgent
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by BimmerAgent »

We ordered a couple of pairs from SpeakerSox trying to get a good fit with a high quality cover, but were disappointed both times and returned them. We trailer a lot, and wanted a good, strong cover, so my wife made a pair. Her boss has an embroidery machine, and made the embroidered panels to commemorate the rattlesnake bite I survived last August. They fit like a wetsuit, and are the same material.
2013 220 WSS V-8 300
2001 206 5.7l GSI Sold
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

BimmerAgent wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:10 pm We ordered a couple of pairs from SpeakerSox trying to get a good fit with a high quality cover, but were disappointed both times and returned them. We trailer a lot, and wanted a good, strong cover, so my wife made a pair. Her boss has an embroidery machine, and made the embroidered panels to commemorate the rattlesnake bite I survived last August. They fit like a wetsuit, and are the same material.
Hey those are sharp BA. If this SpeakerSox brand doesn't work out I'm going to contract you and your wife for a pair!
BTW are those REV 10's?
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

BimmerAgent wrote: Mon Aug 16, 2021 2:10 pm We ordered a couple of pairs from SpeakerSox trying to get a good fit with a high quality cover, but were disappointed both times and returned them. We trailer a lot, and wanted a good, strong cover, so my wife made a pair. Her boss has an embroidery machine, and made the embroidered panels to commemorate the rattlesnake bite I survived last August. They fit like a wetsuit, and are the same material.
Hey question. Are Bretz buddy? 👋👋
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
BimmerAgent
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by BimmerAgent »

HI A7- Yes I think they are Rev10s, and thanks for the compliment on them. I'll make sure my wife knows.

And BPP, Yep I'm afraid to admit it, but I'm a Bretz buddy.
2013 220 WSS V-8 300
2001 206 5.7l GSI Sold
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

BimmerAgent wrote: Tue Aug 17, 2021 1:25 pm HI A7- Yes I think they are Rev10s, and thanks for the compliment on them. I'll make sure my wife knows.

And BPP, Yep I'm afraid to admit it, but I'm a Bretz buddy.
Then you knew who I am. Go to the Members page and introduce yourself with pictures of your new boat.
Your snake bite gave it away to me.
Glad you're doing good!
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!