Trying to get a bigger wave on my 2020 R7 Surf

StingraySteve
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Trying to get a bigger wave on my 2020 R7 Surf

Post by StingraySteve »

I bought a 2020 R7 Surf about 3 months ago. My kids love surfing, they get up easily, and surf without a rope. I use the “surf left” and “surf right” settings and keep cruise control at 10.5 mph. The wave is good...but...it’s not the best. I was talking with a friend who added a bunch of weights to his Malibu and his wave is much bigger and longer. Have any of you added weights or done anything else to get a bigger and longer wave???
Thanks in advance for you reply.
Steve
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Trying to get a bigger wave on my 2020 R7 Surf

Post by BobRae99 »

I don't have a surf model and was out surfing behind a Centurion for the very first time this past weekend - what fun. I think I'd caution against adding weight to your boat before talking to Cobalt. You might have success inviting several 190 lb people along and placing them at the back of the boat though - if the lake whips up you can always move them forward to balance the boat - something you can't do by adding static wake at the rear of your boat.

I'm sure you have a pretty good wave behind your boat, but like any multipurpose tool, it does many things well but may not be "the best" at any one thing. The Centurion throws a monster wave with good push but with its relatively flat hull and shallow dead rise at the transom along with minted freeboard, not a boat I would choose to be out on in anything but calm conditions. From what I've seen (and read here) the R series throws a very good wave and like all R series boats handles rough water well. Short of a dedicated surf boat (Malibu, Nautique, Axis, Mastercraft) I think you probably have the best wave you can get.

Good luck!
2019 Cobalt R3 - V8/350 - Ebony Hull w/ Knock Out Red Edge Stripe
Soonerfan
Captain
Captain

Post by Soonerfan »

I have a 2018 R7 Surf going on its 3rd season. I notice a drastic improvement in the wave with more weight. If we only have 4-6 people with gear the wake doesn't seem to have near the amount of "push" as if we are loaded with 10-12 and gear. I am not sure if push is the correct term but for me (6'0" 210pnds) I struggle with the forward momentum with a light load and a 5"0" board and can ride all day when loaded.
2018 R7 Surf (Sold Fall 2021)
2022 R8 Surf Ordered August 2021
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by akorcovelos »

Get a fat sack for the bow, trim up (or down on the fwd?) until the wave shape looks good.

https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-ope ... 1IQAvD_BwE
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

akorcovelos wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:09 pm Get a fat sack for the bow, trim up (or down on the fwd?) until the wave shape looks good.

https://www.wakemakers.com/fly-high-ope ... 1IQAvD_BwE
From the manufacturer: “ This bag adds a lot of weight, so it should only be used if you have an equal amount of weight in the back of the boat.”

This makes the point that adding weight where it was not intended can have adverse effects. I’d talk to Cobalt first, I’m sure they can provide advise that includes safety considerations.
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

I’ve seen people use ballast bags to positive effect in other boats, but don’t remember seeing a Cobalter here do it yet. If you go that route, please do keep us posted!
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
Norris_Boating
Captain
Captain

Post by Norris_Boating »

I have the same feelings about my R7, My kids get up and drop the rope no problem. Me, 6'3" 230 lbs and OLD (less balance) can't drop the rope and stay in the right spot for more than like 5-10 seconds.
Though I don't want to go through the head ache of a ballast so I am debating a wake shaper.

This seems like the design element of the new R6 as well. So I am guessing cobalt made the change to improve the results.
2016 220
2019 R7 Surf
White and Red V8-380CE EVC DP (FWD) - 380 hp
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

Norris_Boating wrote: Mon Jul 27, 2020 7:35 pm I have the same feelings about my R7, My kids get up and drop the rope no problem. Me, 6'3" 230 lbs and OLD (less balance) can't drop the rope and stay in the right spot for more than like 5-10 seconds.
Though I don't want to go through the head ache of a ballast so I am debating a wake shaper.

This seems like the design element of the new R6 as well. So I am guessing cobalt made the change to improve the results.
I’m 62 years old, 194 lbs and never on a wake board, snow board, skate board before this past Sunday. Got up behind the Centurion first time and 3 tries in, while still hanging onto a partially slack rope I felt the wave pushing me forward and I fell off several times in a row. I’ve since learned that stepping on your forward foot causes you to accelerate forward and weighting the rear foot does the opposite.

I think the wave shape and height determines how much “push” you get. I can’t compare the push of the R7 wave to the Centurion wave but from videos I’ve seen it looks like a pretty big wave. Maybe your technique needs work? :)
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by akorcovelos »

No insults intended here, but I learned to surf on a 21’ Malibu without any ballast, form and technique are 100% the problem when people struggle. Even wakeboarding, which I like to think I’m pretty good at. Had a buddy who rides professionally doing backflips being towed behind a 18’ Trihull with a 50hp Evenrude. He could do backflips out in the flat water, without bindings! Just like anything else it’s just ‘seat time’ as us racing instructors call it.
1996 252 Whipple tuned 454 Magnum MPI, 496 exhaust, Corsa Captains Call, B3 w/Simrek drive shower.
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
mdadgar
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by mdadgar »

akorcovelos wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:52 pm Just like anything else it’s just ‘seat time’ as us racing instructors call it.
This.

- Mark, retired instructor
2013 Cobalt A25, 6.0 VP 380hp "More Cowbell"
Monte Sereno, CA (winter) | Lake Don Pedro (summer)
Boats are for when I'm not racing cars
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

akorcovelos wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:52 pm No insults intended here, but I learned to surf on a 21’ Malibu without any ballast, form and technique are 100% the problem when people struggle. Even wakeboarding, which I like to think I’m pretty good at. Had a buddy who rides professionally doing backflips being towed behind a 18’ Trihull with a 50hp Evenrude. He could do backflips out in the flat water, without bindings! Just like anything else it’s just ‘seat time’ as us racing instructors call it.
If a big wave with lots of push isn't necessary or desirable, I guess Axis, Nautique, Malibu and the others will be heading out of business? I agree that good technique is important in surfing but a guy (or gal) with good technique and balance is just going to be able to do more with a bigger wave and more push than with a small wave behind an 18' Trihull with a 50 Hp Evinrude, otherwise those dedicated surf models wouldn't be selling (and they are selling, some at upwards of $325,000).

My only advise to the OP was to check with the manufacturer before adding ballast in places it wasn't designed for. I see that as good advice from a safety perspective. Other than that, I've seen plenty of videos of people surfing behind the R series and the wave looks pretty good to me.
akorcovelos
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by akorcovelos »

BobRae99 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:50 pm
akorcovelos wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:52 pm No insults intended here, but I learned to surf on a 21’ Malibu without any ballast, form and technique are 100% the problem when people struggle. Even wakeboarding, which I like to think I’m pretty good at. Had a buddy who rides professionally doing backflips being towed behind a 18’ Trihull with a 50hp Evenrude. He could do backflips out in the flat water, without bindings! Just like anything else it’s just ‘seat time’ as us racing instructors call it.
If a big wave with lots of push isn't necessary or desirable, I guess Axis, Nautique, Malibu and the others will be heading out of business? I agree that good technique is important in surfing but a guy (or gal) with good technique and balance is just going to be able to do more with a bigger wave and more push than with a small wave behind an 18' Trihull with a 50 Hp Evinrude, otherwise those dedicated surf models wouldn't be selling (and they are selling, some at upwards of $325,000).

My only advise to the OP was to check with the manufacturer before adding ballast in places it wasn't designed for. I see that as good advice from a safety perspective. Other than that, I've seen plenty of videos of people surfing behind the R series and the wave looks pretty good to me.
I’m not saying a bigger wave isn’t going to give someone a better ride, I’m saying a bigger wave isn’t going to help someone improve their form. Just like putting an inexperienced driver in a high HP car isn’t going to make them a better driver. In fact, a bigger wave will slow the progression of a new rider by being more forgiving due to more room to falter and recover. Smaller wave will require proper body posture and form to stay up and riding without a rope.

The manufacturer warning on bow ballast is because a driver that doesn’t realize how that weight up front changes the dynamics of the boats handling can easily stuff the bow when backing off the throttle. I could easily double the wake size on my old boat by putting 600# of ballast in the bow and trimming up, just have to be careful when you back off to go pick up a fallen rider or everyone is getting very wet (don’t ask how I know! 🙃).
‘Direct Deposit Too
Antioch, IL
Fox Chain O' Lakes
BobRae99
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by BobRae99 »

akorcovelos wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:53 pm
BobRae99 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:50 pm

I’m not saying a bigger wave isn’t going to give someone a better ride, I’m saying a bigger wave isn’t going to help someone improve their form. Just like putting an inexperienced driver in a high HP car isn’t going to make them a better driver. In fact, a bigger wave will slow the progression of a new rider by being more forgiving due to more room to falter and recover. Smaller wave will require proper body posture and form to stay up and riding without a rope.

The manufacturer warning on bow ballast is because a driver that doesn’t realize how that weight up front changes the dynamics of the boats handling can easily stuff the bow when backing off the throttle. I could easily double the wake size on my old boat by putting 600# of ballast in the bow and trimming up, just have to be careful when you back off to go pick up a fallen rider or everyone is getting very wet (don’t ask how I know! 🙃).
Every couple of years someone drowns in a boating accident on Lake Winnipeg. In most cases people went out in an open bow boat in rough conditions, took on water in the bow area and swamped the boat. I think putting 400 - 500 lbs in a spot on a boat that wasn't designed to carry it is asking for trouble - but, everyone can decide for themselves. Your point that the boat operator may "stuff the bow" makes my point. If you have too much weight and you stuff the bow, depending on the boat you can swamp it or roll it in rough water.

I'm pretty comfortable out in my friend's Centurion, knowing that it was designed to carry the ballast weight we fill it with. Same with my R3, when used as designed (passenger load and weight) and using common sense, its a pretty safe boat. Overloading it, is another matter.
StingraySteve
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by StingraySteve »

Getting up or staying up is not the issue. Not saying that my technique can’t be improved but that’s not the issue. Very simply said...I know people that add weights to their boats to make the wave bigger and longer. I was just curious if anybody had done this to their cobalt R# Surf. As somebody said above, when I have more people on the boat the wave is better.
I love my R7 surf!!! But let’s face it...it is not the best wave... But I did not buy it looking for the best wave either. There is a surf expert at my dealer I plan on talking to. I will let you know what I end up doing and how it works.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

I think a wake shaper is worth a try or I guess try some fat sacks!!
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!