Garmin's failing intermittently

(R3, R5, R7, R30, R35)
greenhut
Captain
Captain

Garmin's failing intermittently

Post by greenhut »

Anyone had issues with both Garmin's not coming on when turning the ignition key to ON?

Saw it happen once on Saturday. Turned back off and on, and all was normal. Yesterday it was significantly worse and took many cycles to get them back. Checked fuses (unlikely issue since intermittent), and all seemed fine. Re-seated connections in the back of both Garmin's.

When they came back on yesterday, I went into the settings and did a "Reset Settings". Unfortunately that seemed to wipe the "Cobalt Boats" Splash screen (now just says GARMIN, but no big deal. Seems to have worked since, but my gut says the problem still lurks.

2x Garmin 7607 on 2020 R5
Batteries at full charge.
Garmins on latest firmware (v20)

Thanks for any thoughts or similar experiences.
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Garmin's failing intermittently

Post by tgrace98 »

I have not with mine. I’m still on version 19. Wonder if this might be a bug with v20. Have you looked at the garmin support page?
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
greenhut
Captain
Captain

Post by greenhut »

I did - nothing obvious posted but certainly could be a v20 bug.
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
Norris_Boating
Captain
Captain

Post by Norris_Boating »

never had that problem on the v19, just upgraded to v 20 this weekend and didn't have any problems.
2016 220
2019 R7 Surf
White and Red V8-380CE EVC DP (FWD) - 380 hp
greenhut
Captain
Captain

Post by greenhut »

I had no v20 issues initially. We’ll see...
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
greenhut
Captain
Captain

Post by greenhut »

Indeed resetting settings did not fix the issue.

Today both Garmins went dark, for the first time, while underway. Then came back 10m later or so.

Feels like power delivery, but batteries in great shape and dash has power otherwise.

Tried calling Garmin but massive hold time.

Still could be v20. Don’t see any way to downgrade.

Will ask dealer to address at end of season if I can’t sort it...
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
greenhut
Captain
Captain

Post by greenhut »

Bad news: Over time this problem has worsened.
Good news: Finally figured it out - easy fix.

One or both Garmins continued to not consistently start up when turning on the boats ignition. Even lost 1 or both units while underway a couple times. Armed with a multimeter and some determination, I did some cable tracing and testing.

Each Garmin has a separate power/ground connector from the Cobalt. First unplugged both and measured voltage after turning key. 12.6V every time. However, with either one of the Garmins plugged in alone, voltage would go a bit nuts between 5 and 8 volts and the plugged in unit wouldn't start up. A few times it worked and voltage sat at 12.5V. SO unlikely the Garmins were at fault.

It appears it is common practice in boats and cars to use power on relays to delay startup, more conveniently have many devices respond to the ignition remote power wire, or handle larger current draws. There are two such relays installed in our R5 (identical relays). One was failing and not passing 12V as it should. Swapped relays and Garmins are now perfect. Pretty sure the other relay is somehow used for the underwater lights and perhaps more.

While I could (and will eventually) get one through the Cobalt warranty, had one shipped for just under $10.
Picker Components PC792A-1C-C3-12S-RN-X
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Nice job diagnosing GH. 👌🏻....and thanks for the follow up.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

I haven't owned my R5 long enough to notice what the delay is. One thing I like is that you can stop the engine, at least on my Mercruiser, with the run/stop button on the remote control. Almost considering putting another near the ignition switch since there is a connector behind the dash for it. That way if you need to stop the engine momentarily, no need to turn the ignition switch to off and go through the whole Garmin bootup every time.

When I had my Volvo powered boat, I used to carry spares of those relays since that is what the fuel pump relay was!
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Kyboater
Commander
Commander

Post by Kyboater »

bruceb58 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:19 pm I haven't owned my R5 long enough to notice what the delay is. One thing I like is that you can stop the engine, at least on my Mercruiser, with the run/stop button on the remote control. Almost considering putting another near the ignition switch since there is a connector behind the dash for it. That way if you need to stop the engine momentarily, no need to turn the ignition switch to off and go through the whole Garmin bootup every time.

When I had my Volvo powered boat, I used to carry spares of those relays since that is what the fuel pump relay was!
Remote control? Do you mean throttle? On my R3 I used the start/ stop button on my throttle all the time and just left the key on so the Garmins didn’t shut down.
2018 R5 350hp Merc
Lake Cumberland KY
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

Kyboater wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:04 pm
bruceb58 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:19 pm I haven't owned my R5 long enough to notice what the delay is. One thing I like is that you can stop the engine, at least on my Mercruiser, with the run/stop button on the remote control. Almost considering putting another near the ignition switch since there is a connector behind the dash for it. That way if you need to stop the engine momentarily, no need to turn the ignition switch to off and go through the whole Garmin bootup every time.

Remote control? Do you mean throttle? On my R3 I used the start/ stop button on my throttle all the time and just left the key on so the Garmins didn’t shut down.
Yes throttle/shifter. They are also called remote controls.
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
Kyboater
Commander
Commander

Post by Kyboater »

bruceb58 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 2:52 am
Kyboater wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:04 pm

Yes throttle/shifter. They are also called remote controls.
Thanks. I learn something new every time I login.
2018 R5 350hp Merc
Lake Cumberland KY
greenhut
Captain
Captain

Post by greenhut »

bruceb58 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:19 pm Almost considering putting another near the ignition switch since there is a connector behind the dash for it. That way if you need to stop the engine momentarily, no need to turn the ignition switch to off and go through the whole Garmin bootup every time.

There is a power off delay, so another way to achieve what you describe (briefly stopping the engine without Garmins rebooting), you can just turn the ignition key to off, and then you have about 5 seconds to turn it back to on - this way the Garmins stay running.

Amazing that the fuel pump relay is the same. Could be for my current fuel pump...
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

greenhut wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 12:35 pm There is a power off delay, so another way to achieve what you describe (briefly stopping the engine without Garmins rebooting), you can just turn the ignition key to off, and then you have about 5 seconds to turn it back to on - this way the Garmins stay running.

Amazing that the fuel pump relay is the same. Could be for my current fuel pump...
Since I like to see how things work, I may now need to go down there and see what gives it the delay. I may see if I can make it a longer delay unless it is coming from the ECU!

Speaking of delays, one of my planned "upgrades" is to put in a delay for the interior and/or the swim deck lights. Sure would be nice to turn them off and give me a minute to get off the boat without breaking my neck in the dark. Our boat sits on our dock all summer so would be a great mod.
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
greenhut
Captain
Captain

Post by greenhut »

bruceb58 wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 3:48 pm Speaking of delays, one of my planned "upgrades" is to put in a delay for the interior and/or the swim deck lights. Sure would be nice to turn them off and give me a minute to get off the boat without breaking my neck in the dark. Our boat sits on our dock all summer so would be a great mod.
Checkout this little device I used to make sure UW lights turned off. Cheap and pretty easy to wire in and do what you want:

viewtopic.php?f=44&t=3217&p=63999
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover