Fog

(non-boating; no politics!)
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Fog

Post by Ytmsn »

I've been boating a long time, but still I get myself into jams and trouble all the time, and last night was no different. God was watching out for me because I sure wasn't...

We got invited to a party down the lake about 20 miles away. We had spent a couple of hours down there earlier when we rode in the trumptilla parade that started on our end, and we rode along for a few miles before I got out front and blasted down to get out ahead and watch everything go by while tied up with our friends.

We hung put, floated and swam until we headed back to our house around 3 to clean up and change, with intentions of taking the boat back. It's a nice long ride and I was really looking forward to the ride back down there as well as the night ride home.

As it turned out, we had to haul some things back down there, and we were running late, so we took the car around to the other side of the lake. I pouted the whole drive thinking we should have been in the boat.

Coming home at close to midnight, we started out clear, then started hitting little patches of fog, then more, then BAM. It was solid, as about as thick as I've ever experienced. No stripes on the road so I had to watch the side of the pavement and pray a deer or cow or car wasn't in front of me. It just about doubled our travel time.

Had we been on the water it would have been like navigating with my eyes closed! 20 miles away on a twisty lake with grey cliffs and islands? We would probably still he out there!

I remember reading about the Vikings who were probably the worlds greatest sailors and navigators, and weren't scared of anything. Except the fog, and that terrified them!

We dodged a major bullet! Thank you Lord for protecting us!
I'm sure some of y'all have been stuck out in that stuff, so let's hear your stories..
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
Ytmsn
Admiral
Admiral

Re: Fog

Post by Ytmsn »

Thinking about what I could have done, I guess I could have used my phone to zero in on where I was at and used to to navigate back. But still, we would have been at idle speed for fifteen miles or so. That would have taken awhile.
2001 262 502 GXI (because it sounds better than an 8.2)
From the Land of the Red Man
"Black Boats Matter"
#FARCON Marine / CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Great story brutha YT. Happy to hear it all worked out ok. I’ve heard it said that when we are frustrated it’s because our own plans aren’t what the good Lord has in mind. Glad you were on His timing and not yours.👌🏻
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
rabiddawg
Captain
Captain

Post by rabiddawg »

I’ve been in fog like that twice.

It messes with my brain when you see nothing.

The first time me and a buddy are going duck hunting. We turned out the lights and looked up. The bayou we were on was lined with trees. We could look up and stay between the black tree lines on each sides.

The second time I was hauling corn down the Mississippi River levee in my 18 wheeler. I tried farming for a living 95-02. Fog got so bad I had to stop. Weird looking to my left Clearly seeing riverboat lights go by. The water level was very high.

Hate fog
2003 262 8.1 Volvo
TruckerTim
Commander
Commander

Post by TruckerTim »

AsLan7 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:27 am .

Great story brutha YT. Happy to hear it all worked out ok. I’ve heard it said that when we are frustrated it’s because our own plans aren’t what the good Lord has in mind. Glad you were on His timing and not yours.👌🏻
I read once that God laughs at our "plans" because His plan for us was created before we were formed! We need to only seek His will in our lives. The rest He has all figured out.

What amazes me is how many bad situations He keeps us out of and we never realize it. I do a lot of traveling and at times get frustrated with traffic/ airline delays and such. Only to realize God may have slowed me down or caused me a delay to avoid being the issue instead of just being delayed by the issue. God is good... All the time!
2019 R7
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

TruckerTim wrote: Mon Sep 14, 2020 10:12 am
AsLan7 wrote: Sun Sep 13, 2020 9:27 am .

I read once that God laughs at our "plans" because His plan for us was created before we were formed! We need to only seek His will in our lives. The rest He has all figured out.

What amazes me is how many bad situations He keeps us out of and we never realize it. I do a lot of traveling and at times get frustrated with traffic/ airline delays and such. Only to realize God may have slowed me down or caused me a delay to avoid being the issue instead of just being delayed by the issue. God is good... All the time!
Amen brutha TT. 8-)
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)