2022 Surf with Surf Gate?

BRDad
Commander
Commander

2022 Surf with Surf Gate?

Post by BRDad »

I’ve read a few things that there is a chance that the new 20220 R surf models will utilize Malibu’s Surf Gate.

Any thoughts on how that might compare to the current Surf versions? I’m in the market but now thinking I should wait until July and see what comes out?

Thanks for any insights!
dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Re: 2022 Surf with Surf Gate?

Post by dsthomas »

I have seen pics and video. They will use the surf gate system... We have a 20 R7 Surf. We are happy with the wave ours puts out. BUT, I would wait till you can surf behind one with a surf gate to compare. It’s not just the surfgate but the hull was designed with surfing in mind. Also there is no zero off, all that is incorporated into the computer system, which I like. Really the the only way you will know for sure is to wait. I’ve seen video of the new wave but it’s so hard to compare those things with video or a picture. Depending on your time line for purchase it may be worth the wait. Our situation didn’t really accommodate waiting for the new surf gate version R6, and I’ve always really like the R3,5,7 designs, even coming from our A25 which is also a veery sweet looking boat. I did kind of like the idea of buying what some people might say are the last of the “pure” cobalts; un sullied or improved, depending on your perspective, by Malibu. I’m curious my self to see what the wave looks and feels like. Non of our crew are professional surfers so it would probably have to be pretty drastic to make a difference. Things I all ready can tell I like better are that there aren’t huge surf tabs on the surf gate system. The new version has the Malibu surf gate and then tabs as well, but they look just like regular trim tabs as apposed to the huge ones on the current surf versions and I don’t know if they will be utilized in generating the wave or as actual trim tabs. That is a feature unavailable on my R7 and I miss having them. It would be nice if the new R6 Surf was designed to utilize those as both a trim tab and a wave generating source along with the surf gate, but that’s just speculation. I also like the drop in cooler on the new R6. Don’t get me wrong I really like my R7 surf, the design is pretty sweet, and the over all look I prefer to the R6 design also we can all surf behind it just fine. But ;0) the new R6 may be worth a look depending on your purchase timeline, especially if your main reason for purchasing is surfing. I can tell you we have had our boat for a year and we haven’t really done anything else behind it except surfing since we got it. I would think they would announce the surf version at the boat show this winter so it would be available in 21, but I don’t know that for sure. Any way thats my two cents. I look forward to reading everyone else’s comments, either boat you buy you’ll be happy with, that’s the beauty of cobalt. Happy shopping!
Kansas City, MO
2011 242 VP 5.7 GXi (Sold)
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2020 R7 Surf VP 380 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
BRDad
Commander
Commander

Post by BRDad »

dsthomas wrote: Sat Nov 21, 2020 9:35 pm I have seen pics and video. They will use the surf gate system... We have a 20 R7 Surf. We are happy with the wave ours puts out. BUT, I would wait till you can surf behind one with a surf gate to compare. It’s not just the surfgate but the hull was designed with surfing in mind. Also there is no zero off, all that is incorporated into the computer system, which I like. Really the the only way you will know for sure is to wait. I’ve seen video of the new wave but it’s so hard to compare those things with video or a picture. Depending on your time line for purchase it may be worth the wait. Our situation didn’t really accommodate waiting for the new surf gate version R6, and I’ve always really like the R3,5,7 designs, even coming from our A25 which is also a veery sweet looking boat. I did kind of like the idea of buying what some people might say are the last of the “pure” cobalts; un sullied or improved, depending on your perspective, by Malibu. I’m curious my self to see what the wave looks and feels like. Non of our crew are professional surfers so it would probably have to be pretty drastic to make a difference. Things I all ready can tell I like better are that there aren’t huge surf tabs on the surf gate system. The new version has the Malibu surf gate and then tabs as well, but they look just like regular trim tabs as apposed to the huge ones on the current surf versions and I don’t know if they will be utilized in generating the wave or as actual trim tabs. That is a feature unavailable on my R7 and I miss having them. It would be nice if the new R6 Surf was designed to utilize those as both a trim tab and a wave generating source along with the surf gate, but that’s just speculation. I also like the drop in cooler on the new R6. Don’t get me wrong I really like my R7 surf, the design is pretty sweet, and the over all look I prefer to the R6 design also we can all surf behind it just fine. But ;0) the new R6 may be worth a look depending on your purchase timeline, especially if your main reason for purchasing is surfing. I can tell you we have had our boat for a year and we haven’t really done anything else behind it except surfing since we got it. I would think they would announce the surf version at the boat show this winter so it would be available in 21, but I don’t know that for sure. Any way thats my two cents. I look forward to reading everyone else’s comments, either boat you buy you’ll be happy with, that’s the beauty of cobalt. Happy shopping!
Thanks so much for all of this great information. It helps a lot. Here is the background what I’m trying to figure out.

So I have a lake house in the local mountains outside of Los Angeles called Big Bear Lake. It’s not a huge lake. Max boat size on the lake is 26’. I currently have. 21.5’ 20 year old Monterey run about. Bit...it’s getting time for something new that I can also surf with. I would say 85% of the use of the boat will be cruising, boat rides, etc. 15% of the time will be water sports. So while we are not at all pro level surfers, I wanted to make sure that it’s an option should someone want to surf. I know it’s not the same experience as a Malibu.

Initially I was ready to go and was trying to decide on an R3 surf or an R5 surf. I don’t really need the head although nice for storage. I was able to go inside an R3 and R5 side by side. Obviously the R5 in larger but on the inside it was not as much of a difference as I thought there would be. So I started looking at both the R3 and R5’s for sale. Saw a couple of really nice low hour used R5’s which was could been a good option.

Then I heard about the R6’s potentially having the surf gate and...also heard there might be an R4. So..given this I think my best bet is to wait and see what’s coming. Obviously with a new R4 or R6 surf I’d be paying brand new prices vs. potentially saving some money on an R3 or R5.

So given all of this...any advice? I love the quality of the Cobalt interior material on the R3 and R5. How does it compare on the R6?

Thanks!!
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

If I was buying surf I would wait for the new r4 r6 set up.
Interior. Well I think the r3 r5 looks nicer but I haven't seen the r4r6 in person. Then add the cost of the new r4r6 well. Big decisions for you. Congrats on the new Cobalt ahead of time!
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
BRDad
Commander
Commander

Post by BRDad »

Big Block Power wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 3:04 pm If I was buying surf I would wait for the new r4 r6 set up.
Interior. Well I think the r3 r5 looks nicer but I haven't seen the r4r6 in person. Then add the cost of the new r4r6 well. Big decisions for you. Congrats on the new Cobalt ahead of time!
Thanks!! To many variables :)
Jeeper
Captain
Captain

Post by Jeeper »

I just got a email from Cobalt saying the R6 and R8 Surfs will be released December 8th. It will be interesting to see.
2019 R5 Surf 380 VP.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Jeeper wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:24 pm I just got a email from Cobalt saying the R6 and R8 Surfs will be released December 8th. It will be interesting to see.
Yes I think we all got that email today. It can't come fast enough. Lol
Is it summer yet 😁
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

BRDad wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:08 pmSo I have a lake house in the local mountains outside of Los Angeles called Big Bear Lake. It’s not a huge lake.
Hey there...we also have a house in Big Bear. We have a pontoon and a dock in Pine Knot. We don't use our Wellcraft or our Cobalt R5 there since we also have a house in Lake Tahoe.

Where do you keep your boat?
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
BRDad
Commander
Commander

Post by BRDad »

bruceb58 wrote: Thu Dec 03, 2020 9:30 pm
BRDad wrote: Sun Nov 22, 2020 2:08 pmSo I have a lake house in the local mountains outside of Los Angeles called Big Bear Lake. It’s not a huge lake.
Hey there...we also have a house in Big Bear. We have a pontoon and a dock in Pine Knot. We don't use our Wellcraft or our Cobalt R5 there since we also have a house in Lake Tahoe.

Where do you keep your boat?
That is so funny. I’ll send you a private message shortly.