Bimini wire lanyard

Atl Cobalt
Commander
Commander

Bimini wire lanyard

Post by Atl Cobalt »

Hello All,

I'm trying to find a source for the wire lanyard that attaches to the pin for the bimini supports. I have one that broke and a few others that need to be replaced. I have someone that can do the stainless welding for me, I'm just having a hard time finding the wire lanyard with the correct end that gets welded. Picture attached.

Thanks
IMG_0586.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2004 226 350MAG MPI
RWM250
Commander
Commander

Re: Bimini wire lanyard

Post by RWM250 »

www.greatlakesskipper.com has what you're looking for. A pair of them are on sale now for $12.95.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2004 Cobalt 250, 8.1 GI VP
Smithville, Mo.
RWM250
Commander
Commander

Post by RWM250 »

After I sent that, I'm not sure the lanyards look like they're stainless.
2004 Cobalt 250, 8.1 GI VP
Smithville, Mo.
Atl Cobalt
Commander
Commander

Post by Atl Cobalt »

RMW, I ordered them in hopes that they would work. They are way bigger than the ones on my boat and the tab is too big to try to weld on the cap.

Thanks anyway.

Anyone else ever have these break? what did you do?

I was hoping to get more responses than just one. :?
2004 226 350MAG MPI
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

We used these for our 263 bimini..... Thorn Boat Bimini Quick Release Pin with Lanyard .

The particular ones we ordered are not currently available but similar ones are. Just click on the link and look for similar item.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Atl Cobalt
Commander
Commander

Post by Atl Cobalt »

Thanks Aslan. I'll see what I can find on Amazon. Most I've found are too big and none have the same tab.
2004 226 350MAG MPI
clm0fiz
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by clm0fiz »

RMW, thanks for the ordering info for GreatLakesSkipper; perfect timing for me! I took the Bimini top off this morning to wash it (and 303 it). First time it's been off in 15 years (Prior owner never even used it. Strange to see 15 year old Sunbrella in perfect condition). And of course one of the lanyards broke, right where the stranded wire enters the keeper fitting. Entire boat life has been on/in salt water, so most likely crevice corrosion. Sure hope these fit!
clm0fiz
2006 250 "Ms. Liberty"
Mercruiser 6.2 liter 350 hp, Bravo 3 Horizon
Jupiter, FL
clm0fiz
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by clm0fiz »

Well, I just received my order from GLS, and it's....exactly as pictured. Guess I should have looked closer. Plus - the wire is coated so less abrasion. Minus - the crimps are marginal. I will likely put them in the vise and crimp them a little tighter. Another minus - they really are exactly as pictured, meaning no spring on the lanyard end, and no rotating retainer on the bitter end. Mine look like these on Amazon
Thorn on Amazon.JPG
But $13.99 for four of them? I wonder about the quality.

Separate question: I THOUGHT mine were held in place by small Allen screws, but they're not. They look more like stainless steel pop rivets. Does anyone know for sure? Only option I can see is to drill out the (retainer?), tap the hole for a screw, and hold the new one in place that way. Certainly open to other solutions!
20210513_165152.jpg
clm0fiz
2006 250 "Ms. Liberty"
Jupiter, FL
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

clm0fiz wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 4:13 pm Well, I just received my order from GLS, and it's....exactly as pictured. Guess I should have looked closer. Plus - the wire is coated so less abrasion. Minus - the crimps are marginal. I will likely put them in the vise and crimp them a little tighter. Another minus - they really are exactly as pictured, meaning no spring on the lanyard end, and no rotating retainer on the bitter end. Mine look like these on Amazon
Thorn on Amazon.JPG

But $13.99 for four of them? I wonder about the quality.

Separate question: I THOUGHT mine were held in place by small Allen screws, but they're not. They look more like stainless steel pop rivets. Does anyone know for sure? Only option I can see is to drill out the (retainer?), tap the hole for a screw, and hold the new one in place that way. Certainly open to other solutions!
20210513_165152.jpg
That's exactly how they are attached clm...with a stainless rivet. You can easily drill that out. I have a pop rivet gun. Very simple replacement. Or you can use a similar sized stainless screw.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
clm0fiz
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by clm0fiz »

Excellent, thank you, Admiral. I've got a pop rivet gun, too. I think, if I can find the right size stainless steel rivets, I would prefer that to tapping for a screw. If it was good enough for Cobalt...
clm0fiz
2006 250 "Ms. Liberty"
Jupiter, FL
Mike in SC
Captain
Captain

Post by Mike in SC »

I replaced most of my Bimini pins because I broke one and the others were getting frayed.
I drilled out the rivets and used Stainless pop rivets to fasten.
If you have a pop rivet gun, I'm going to tell you it doesn't have the capacity to work the stainless rivets.
They are such a different animal than the aluminum rivets I've used on gutters, etc...
I bought a new rivet gun that had the capacity to do the work, don't know where I'll use it again.

The two lanyards on my forward most bimini supports are welded on like yours.
I'd probably bring these to the welder and have him cut off the extra part of the tab that has the hole drilled in it.
Mike in SC
Lake Murray, SC
2003 Cobalt 220
350 Mag MPI/Merc Bravo 3
Freddie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Freddie »

I believe the rivets are aluminum. You will know when you try to drill them out. I’m doing mine tomorrow, I’ll report what I find out.
Central Florida
2004 Cobalt 250 496 Mag Bravo 3
“Fatima”
Freddie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Freddie »

A0E47087-7805-4B24-B7AD-ABF2296E204A.png
Search Amazon stainless blind rivets.
Central Florida
“Fatima”
Freddie
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Freddie »

Freddie wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 6:03 pm I believe the rivets are aluminum. You will know when you try to drill them out. I’m doing mine tomorrow, I’ll report what I find out.
I was thinking of my other boat, these are definitely stainless. Sorry for the misinformation… 😔
Central Florida
“Fatima”
vans
Captain
Captain

Post by vans »

I changed out all my lanyards around 5 years ago, bought them from McMaster-Car, I just used aluminum pop rivets that I had and all is good.