Used R5 or R7 Surf

tonkacruise
Ensign
Ensign

Used R5 or R7 Surf

Post by tonkacruise »

Hello all,
Wondering if anyone is aware of an R5 or R7 surf, used. Seem pretty hard to come by. I'm located in MN, but don't really care where it's located.
thanks,
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Used R5 or R7 Surf

Post by AsLan7 »

Hey TC..welcome to the CobaltChat forum. So glad you found us!

The used boat market is insane right now (like everything else on the market). Finding a used Surf R5 or R7 will be tough. Where are you located? If you live in a Cobalt saturated area like LOTO, Seattle, or in the Tennessee valley you may have more of a chance as soon as they pop up on the market. Are you willing to have the boat shipped to you?

Cobalt improved the Surf model quite a bit with the new models that are hitting the market. Would you consider that option?

Any pics of your current boat? We love all models here.

Again welcome aboard mate!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
tonkacruise
Ensign
Ensign

Post by tonkacruise »

Hello,
Happy to be here. I live in Minnesota and am willing to have the boat shipped. New would likely be out of my price range.
Do the 2018s have some of the newer features or have they changed a lot even since then?
Thanks,
Shane
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by tgrace98 »

tonkacruise wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 12:26 pm Hello,
Happy to be here. I live in Minnesota and am willing to have the boat shipped. New would likely be out of my price range.
Do the 2018s have some of the newer features or have they changed a lot even since then?
Thanks,
Shane
2017 was the mid model refresh of the R3/5/7. They went to the gen 5 GM motors late 2017 or all of 2018+. Personally looking used I would shoot for 2018 or newer. especially in the surf.
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
tonkacruise
Ensign
Ensign

Post by tonkacruise »

Good feedback! Thank you!
Let me know if anyone is aware a good used one. Don't care where it is. I found one in FL, but trying to find out if it was used on Salt Water.
Thanks,
tonkacruise
Ensign
Ensign

Post by tonkacruise »

I found a 2018 R5 Surf in Florida. Should i be concerned about it potentially being used in salt water? I've never owned a boat that was used in salt water before.
Thanks!
bruceb58
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by bruceb58 »

tonkacruise wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:42 pm I found a 2018 R5 Surf in Florida. Should i be concerned about it potentially being used in salt water? I've never owned a boat that was used in salt water before.
Thanks!
I wouldn't be especially if it's a Volvo with closed cooling. What gets damaged the most are the manifolds and risers but just a couple years is not much to worry about
2017 R5 350HP Mercruiser Bravo III
Northridge, CA
Big Bear Lake, CA
South Lake Tahoe, CA
tonkacruise
Ensign
Ensign

Post by tonkacruise »

This same boat is having an injector replaced right now. Seems a bit odd that would be needed with only 150hrs on it. Is that common on the volvo penta 350?
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

This is the 2018 surf? No not common at all. Things happen though. Myself I don't care if it's closed cooling in not buying a salty. Just me. Salt water has to go out somewhere and who knows how it was flushed. Just me.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
tonkacruise
Ensign
Ensign

Post by tonkacruise »

Correct. 2018 R5 Surf. Also found out they've had to replace: fuel pump, O2 Sensors, map sensor, steering cable and injectors.
seems like an awful lot for a 2018 with ~170hrs on it. Lemon or do you think this guy just beat the crap out of this thing?
tonkacruise
Ensign
Ensign

Post by tonkacruise »

they put 128hrs on the boat in 4 months and is claiming that is why they had some much fixed. they used it a lot.... Just looking for some guidance. seems uncommon to have that much go wrong with a cobalt.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

tonkacruise wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 7:14 pm they put 128hrs on the boat in 4 months and is claiming that is why they had some much fixed. they used it a lot.... Just looking for some guidance. seems uncommon to have that much go wrong with a cobalt.
First of all this is not Cobalt. This is volvo. I'm assuming volvo power? Correct me if I'm wrong. Yes that's a bunch to go wrong. Someone not knowing what they were trying to diagnose? Chasing a demon?
Myself I wouldn't touch it with a 10ft pole. If it's fixed great but if it's not are you ready to be sitting on the back watching us boat all summer? You will lose weeks of boating if it acts up. Sorry I'm running.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

Bad gas from setting around for the first couple of years could have caused all the engine problems, or a bad diagnosis from the tech, or other unforeseen problems. With that amount of parts replaced I would just hope that it is finally fixed right and not just traded off becuase its still leaving them stranded every weekend and they are just tired of the boat.

If they did beat on it that bad to cause the problems, you should be able to see other signs of hard use elsewhere
CS23
tonkacruise
Ensign
Ensign

Post by tonkacruise »

Good point on not being able to diagnose. The Tech notes seem to reveal that. They tried a bunch of stuff. On a positive note the Volvo engine has warranty until 9/2022. The rest of the boat is practically spotless. I wouldn't be considering this one if there were others available on the market, but there is nothing out there right now, new or used. Thanks for all the feedback!
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

tonkacruise wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:44 am Good point on not being able to diagnose. The Tech notes seem to reveal that. They tried a bunch of stuff. On a positive note the Volvo engine has warranty until 9/2022. The rest of the boat is practically spotless. I wouldn't be considering this one if there were others available on the market, but there is nothing out there right now, new or used. Thanks for all the feedback!

Here is my thought if you are focused on a surf model I would wait for a 6 or 8 to surface. They have a more dedicated hull towards surfing. Does your dealer not have any on order for stock? Mine shows that they have quite a few build slots for stock machines and you are able to change colors and options too. It is true if you want to place an order you will not get it until next year.

Like BBP has mentioned this one could leave you high and dry. Parts are hard to come by this year, it really could be months before they come in.
CS23