garmin question for newbie

(Stereos, Chartplotters, Fish Finders, etc.)
WATERHOG
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

garmin question for newbie

Post by WATERHOG »

Just bought a 2014 r7 the GPSMAP 740 is installed. We brought it to Norris Lake TN. The map doesn't come up and I can find anyplace to get it on the menus. The SD card is Garmin Lakes OEM US Coverage 010 -C1084-00

Would Norris be on there or do I need a new one and GARMIN said they don't have them. Said something about needing a G2 Chart. but they would be after market.

Should it be hooked into the engine for gauges readouts. like fuel and temps?
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: garmin question for newbie

Post by tgrace98 »

WATERHOG wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:24 am Just bought a 2014 r7 the GPSMAP 740 is installed. We brought it to Norris Lake TN. The map doesn't come up and I can find anyplace to get it on the menus. The SD card is Garmin Lakes OEM US Coverage 010 -C1084-00

Would Norris be on there or do I need a new one and GARMIN said they don't have them. Said something about needing a G2 Chart. but they would be after market.

Should it be hooked into the engine for gauges readouts. like fuel and temps?
The 2014’s with the optional chart plotter is indeed just a chart plotter and is not hooked up to give you engine read outs. Cobalt didn’t do that until 2017 when they went to the glass dash.

As far as maps your plotter could be to old to give you our lakes maps or might need a firmware update. I’d search the garmin site for updates by putting in your serial number
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
jma2@fuse.net
Commander
Commander

Post by jma2@fuse.net »

If you have an iPad with cellular, then I'd recommend installing Aquamap on your iPad. I use it on Norris Lake and it works perfectly--and it sure beats using a hard-copy map and trying to find those darned mile markers. There are other navigation apps as for the iPad, including Navionics, but most are subscription based.
2016 CS3
Volvo 280-G
Cincinnati, OH/Norris Lake, TN
WATERHOG
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by WATERHOG »

Thanks for the info. Garmin told me that Lake Norris was not in the SD card on that unit GPSMAP740. And it is not compatible with new sd cards. Soooo....basically I have a worthless screen in the middle on my dash. A new unit is a $1000 or more.
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

Ugh. That's the downside to technology
CS23