Sealed subwoofer box location

(Stereos, Chartplotters, Fish Finders, etc.)
ejames1656@gmail.com
Ensign
Ensign

Sealed subwoofer box location

Post by ejames1656@gmail.com »

Hello all,
Just bought my first colbalt 2002 232.
Ive replaced speakers headunit and have a 12”sub I’m adding in a sealed box. I need recommendations of where to place it and any other suggestions you all may have. Thanks!!
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Sealed subwoofer box location

Post by dustinm »

I like them right under the helm. Our 220 had a 12" in a sealed box inside that compartment, it sounded great.
CS23
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Hey Ej1656. So glad you found us.

Yes the helm area seems to be popular for sealed enclosures. Tell us about your system. Any pics?

And welcome aboard mate!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
ejames1656@gmail.com
Ensign
Ensign

No pictures as of yet.

Just installed 2nd battery and isolator.
Replaced factory Sony 6.5s with 6 kicker 6.5 with led. (Came with the boat.) going to run the mids on a 6 channel Rockville. Sub is Kicker VR running off of alpine monoblock. (Old stuff I had)
Sub (which is temporary) is either going in engine bay or under seat I front of helm. Going to test sub placement this weekend. Going to replace it al this winter and likely add a pair of rear deck speakers as well. So any advice or shortcuts anyone has please let me know.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Yea go with class D amps. They draw so much less power and don't get hot.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

ejames1656@gmail.com wrote: Tue Aug 10, 2021 10:26 pm No pictures as of yet.

Just installed 2nd battery and isolator.
You’re going to love that feature. We just added one a couple of months ago. No more Bluetooth cutout on startup.

We are big fans of JL Audio for inside the boat cranking and Wet Sounds for outside cranking. :D

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
ejames1656@gmail.com
Ensign
Ensign

How many hours of anchor time can you get on your second battery
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

ejames1656@gmail.com wrote: Wed Aug 11, 2021 9:12 am How many hours of anchor time can you get on your second battery
Funny you should ask ej. Our new deep cycle battery arrives via FedEx today.

We have reached the five year point on our Trojan Deep Cycle BCI group 30H battery (#1 battery in the above picture) so it's time to replace. We never go more than 5 years on any battery. Most of our music is cranked while running the boat during water sports so the battery was never really tested to the run out point with the engine off. Our Trojan is a dual post SCS225 and has a reference capacity of 130 amps at 20 hours with a reserve capacity of 225 minutes at 25 amps. It was a basic flooded/wet lead acid dedicated deep cycle. Here are the specs on it if interested. Overall it was a good battery although I was not happy with the durability of the battery posts.

t.jpg

We decided to replace this with a Banshee Dual Post Group 27 sealed AGM Deep Cycle Dual purpose Marine battery. It's a little lighter (59lbs vs 66lbs) & smaller than the Trojan being that it's a BCI 27 size-group but it has the dual terminals needed for our isolator set up and has a reference capacity of 100 amps at 20 hours. The AGM's are more durable in the harsh bouncing boat environment too. Again here are the specs on this battery if interested. I'll let you know how she performs. Banshee started in the motorcycle battery biz and has since branched out into other battery types. They are manufactured in Minooka, IL with a $225 price point ( $189 on Amazon) for group 27 AGM's.

Banshee Hand.jpg
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
xlint89
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by xlint89 »

Welcome to the site.

Under the driver's helm is best location I would guess. It gets the sound out into the area you will be seated in with no real obstruction. Inside the engine compartment does work, but it must first get through the fire wall, then the rear bench seat framing, then into the listening area.

Now I have had a JL 13.5" sub located in the engine compartment and it did work. It does not project well into the bow area though. The rear bench seat, port side was the best seat in the boat because it was in front of the speaker.

I have now since installed a 12" JL sub in the pass through from the cockpit to the bow area and it works pretty good. But it does put more sound to the bow than the cockpit. Don't get me wrong, it does hit pretty good, just not as well as if it were pointing back towards me.

NOTE: I have inquired about using the engine compartment for a second sub location and was advised this is not a good idea. Even though it is low voltage and highly unlikely, there is potential for a spark to occur. That spark can lead to an explosion in the presence of gasoline vapors built up inside the engine compartment. It was for this reason that a sealed enclosure is best to be used if considering this. Ported enclosure might have more output, but opens you up to a possible catastrophe. Just putting this out there.

DSCF3399.JPG

IMG_4935.jpg