Looking at a used 2016 220. A couple small (I think) issues, and the warranty transfer (questions). Any thoughts great

greengiant44
Ensign
Ensign

Looking at a used 2016 220. A couple small (I think) issues, and the warranty transfer (questions). Any thoughts great

Post by greengiant44 »

Hi,

I'm new here and narrowing down a few used boats to make an offer on. One is a 2016 Cobalt 220.

It has very low hours, and has the MerCruiser 350. 50 hours on the boat.

overall good condition, needs a good cleaning, but is kept on a lift, under a cover, but the boat covers not always kept on.

Sea tested it today. Smooth and powerful! Just a few small issues

1. Speedometer wasn't working. Owner was straight with me, said it was supposed to be fixed before the season, the shop forgot and he didn't want to lose more time. Said it was a tube that was likely "off"

2. Trim Gauge. Once on the water, it seemed to jump all over the place. Trim on the boat was working, but the gauge, really all over the place it seemed.

3. A Couple speakers for the stereo seemed to go in and out, typically when going over a wake. (this seems like a simple connection issue to me)

I could still transfer the warranty as it's good into very early next year. I like the boat, I want to make an offer. Warranty transfer is $350.00, but talking to Cobalt, they said the final two years are under "brunswick" and the transfer would be through them.

So...

Any thoughts on the above issues? Any thoughts on if Brunswick is decent on coverage. My thought would be use the boat for the last month of the season, take it to the dealer after the warranty transfer and bring up these issues, and any other small issues we find.

Thanks so much.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Re: Looking at a used 2016 220. A couple small (I think) issues, and the warranty transfer (questions). Any thoughts g

Post by AsLan7 »

Hey gg44. So glad you found us!

All three of those issues are minor. You can fix them yourself with a little advice from members here.

What does the warranty not cover?

Any pics?

And welcome aboard mate!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
greengiant44
Ensign
Ensign

Re: Looking at a used 2016 220. A couple small (I think) issues, and the warranty transfer (questions). Any thoughts g

Post by greengiant44 »

AsLan7 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:53 pm .

All three of those issues are minor. You can fix them yourself with a little advice from members here.

Any pics?

And welcome aboard mate!

Thank you.

I hoped they were minor. The stereo seems to almost have to be a connection, though I suppose it could be an issue with a channel on the amp/headunit.

Speedo doesn't bug me too much, as worst case there is always GPS

The trim gauge jumping around like it did probably worried me the most. I think all would be warranty anyways. But, talking to cobalt I was suprised the last 2 years of the 5 years, they said I had to transfer through Brunswick.

I think I'm down to making an offer on this, or two slightly newer Four Winns. But I was impressed how smooth the cobalt was and even how smooth the power came on, though I'm used to Volvo Penta Boats.

If I get it... i will post pictures (it's pretty plain, white with a simple narrow blue stripe.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

greengiant44 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:58 pm
AsLan7 wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 7:53 pm .

Any pics?

And welcome aboard mate!

Thank you.

I hoped they were minor. The stereo seems to almost have to be a connection, though I suppose it could be an issue with a channel on the amp/headunit.

Speedo doesn't bug me too much, as worst case there is always GPS

The trim gauge jumping around like it did probably worried me the most. I think all would be warranty anyways. But, talking to cobalt I was suprised the last 2 years of the 5 years, they said I had to transfer through Brunswick.

I think I'm down to making an offer on this, or two slightly newer Four Winns. But I was impressed how smooth the cobalt was and even how smooth the power came on, though I'm used to Volvo Penta Boats.

If I get it... i will post pictures (it's pretty plain, white with a simple narrow blue stripe.
Make the offer. You’ll regret going with the Four Winns over the Cobalt.

The trim gauge is likely a loose sender on your outdrive rams or a loose wire.
Speakers are also likely a loose wire.
Speedo has a clogged pitot tube on the outdrive or on the transom depending on whether it’s a Merc or VP respectively. You can unclog carefully with a small drill bit being twisted in your hand on the small opening in the lower part of your Merc drive.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
jhnmdahl
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by jhnmdahl »

I agree with the others - none of the problems sound like a big deal, or something you couldn’t likely fix yourself at home. It’ll always ride smoother than a Four Winns, and hold up better over time. Keep us posted, and post some photos when you pick it up!
Administrator of the www.cobaltchat.com Cobalt boats community forum
2015 210 (Volvo Penta 5.7L V8-225)
greengiant44
Ensign
Ensign

Post by greengiant44 »

Ok,

Deal agreed to!

Should have it for the weekend.

Suggestions on brands of tubes that hold up well? Going to start with the basics. Get the kids on some tubes and learn the boat. I like the idea of tubes I can get 2-3 kids on.

Open to any and all suggestions. Eventually planning on a wake tower as I have one daughter who really wants to wakeboard. But, will start with tubes and skis (the things I know how to do...)

Anyone have products they like for cleaning the seats with? (it needs a little TLC in that regard). I'm pretty meticulous. Thanks!
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

Heck I was about to offer up a CS23. Have a blast with your new purchase!!!
CS23
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

I don't understand the "under Brunswick." Isn't Brunswick the company that makes Bayliner? What would they have to do with Cobalt?
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Krob1114 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:52 am I don't understand the "under Brunswick." Isn't Brunswick the company that makes Bayliner? What would they have to do with Cobalt?
Brunswick owns Mercury marine. The warranty for the engine would be covered with Merc (under the Brunswick banner).
And yes Brunswick owns Bayliner in addition to a number of other manufacturers like Boston Whaler, Lund and Sea Ray
to name a few. Some interesting forum reading about the Sea Ray-Brunswick-Cobalt lawsuit
here.

(They’ve come along way since billiards 🎱)
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

AsLan7 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:07 am
Krob1114 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 7:52 am I don't understand the "under Brunswick." Isn't Brunswick the company that makes Bayliner? What would they have to do with Cobalt?
Brunswick owns Mercury marine. The warranty for the engine would be covered with Merc (under the Brunswick banner).
And yes Brunswick owns Bayliner in addition to a number of other manufacturers like Boston Whaler, Lund and Sea Ray
to name a few. Some interesting forum reading about the Sea Ray-Brunswick-Cobalt lawsuit
here.

But most important they Make these!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

Big Block Power wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:17 am
AsLan7 wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 8:07 am
here.

But most important they Make these!
That looks nothing like my Mercedes diesel.
Home in Hernando, MS
Winston
Ensign
Ensign

Post by Winston »

I don't know about the Brunswick warranty, but don't count on the Cobalt warranty. I have a 2019 R3 purchased new. It has had several issues. I am not close to the dealer, but the dealer has tried to get things reimbursed when repairs are needed. Most recently I have had extensive cracking of gel coat - Cobalt denied warranty claim just based upon photos. There was never any damages to the boat - they just denied the claim before I even had a technician look at it. IMO the"legendary" Cobalt 5 year warranty is a myth as opposed to a legend. The boat has low hours and has had more than it's fair share of issues. I have owned boats for 20 years - the first time that I was towed into Port was on my new Cobalt. BTW, there has been no reimbursement for towing(they advertise$100) as of yet. Please do not count on Cobalt to make anything right under warranty. Buyer beware.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Winston wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:38 pm I don't know about the Brunswick warranty, but don't count on the Cobalt warranty. I have a 2019 R3 purchased new. It has had several issues. I am not close to the dealer, but the dealer has tried to get things reimbursed when repairs are needed. Most recently I have had extensive cracking of gel coat - Cobalt denied warranty claim just based upon photos. There was never any damages to the boat - they just denied the claim before I even had a technician look at it. IMO the"legendary" Cobalt 5 year warranty is a myth as opposed to a legend. The boat has low hours and has had more than it's fair share of issues. I have owned boats for 20 years - the first time that I was towed into Port was on my new Cobalt. BTW, there has been no reimbursement for towing(they advertise$100) as of yet. Please do not count on Cobalt to make anything right under warranty. Buyer beware.
Not a bad first post!
Welcome to the chat!
Let's go to the new members section and introduce your self and your beautiful r3!
Post the cracks in another thread let's see them.
I bet you wished you would have bought a SeaRay!
After 18 years she still looks new. Best boat ever 👍😂
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Winston wrote: Tue Sep 07, 2021 6:38 pm I don't know about the Brunswick warranty, but don't count on the Cobalt warranty. I have a 2019 R3 purchased new. It has had several issues. I am not close to the dealer, but the dealer has tried to get things reimbursed when repairs are needed. Most recently I have had extensive cracking of gel coat - Cobalt denied warranty claim just based upon photos. There was never any damages to the boat - they just denied the claim before I even had a technician look at it. IMO the"legendary" Cobalt 5 year warranty is a myth as opposed to a legend. The boat has low hours and has had more than it's fair share of issues. I have owned boats for 20 years - the first time that I was towed into Port was on my new Cobalt. BTW, there has been no reimbursement for towing(they advertise$100) as of yet. Please do not count on Cobalt to make anything right under warranty. Buyer beware.
Hey Winston. So glad you found us! Sorry to hear about your Cobalt woes. That really is unacceptable. Like bbp mentioned, would you be able to post some pictures of the defects and gel coat cracks?

And welcome aboard mate.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

greengiant44 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:01 pm

Suggestions on brands of tubes that hold up well? Going to start with the basics. Get the kids on some tubes and learn the boat. I like the idea of tubes I can get 2-3 kids on. Thanks!
We have had great luck the tubes by Sports Stuff. We currently just use the Big Bertha, two seat with back rest, can pull from front or back. We've used the bigger versions too. What I like most about them, air them up once a year.
Home in Hernando, MS