Building an R6 - Looks like I'll finally be joining the crew!

(R3, R5, R7, R30, R35)
VTENGR
Captain
Captain

Building an R6 - Looks like I'll finally be joining the crew!

Post by VTENGR »

After stalking the boards for a few weeks and learning everything I could about Cobalts, I finally reached out to our local dealer. Wrapping up negotiations on a build as we speak, but I think I'm getting a pretty fair deal - especially considering the current market landscape.

Thanks everyone who contributes to this site - it's a wealth of information. Can't wait to be a contributor myself!
2022 R6 VP350 Ebony/Frost/White
drtbar
Commander
Commander

Re: Building an R6 - Looks like I'll finally be joining the crew!

Post by drtbar »

What kind of % off MSRP are they bending you over for?
2022 R6
Mona Lake - Lake Michigan, Norton Shores, MI
VTENGR
Captain
Captain

Post by VTENGR »

13% off. Felt that was fair.
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

VTENGR wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 5:24 pm 13% off. Felt that was fair.
Well thanks for that contribution VT. So glad you found us. 👍🏻

And welcome aboard mate!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
R6outboard
Commander
Commander

Post by R6outboard »

VTENGR wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:55 pm After stalking the boards for a few weeks and learning everything I could about Cobalts, I finally reached out to our local dealer. Wrapping up negotiations on a build as we speak, but I think I'm getting a pretty fair deal - especially considering the current market landscape.

Thanks everyone who contributes to this site - it's a wealth of information. Can't wait to be a contributor myself!
Great to hear. You will love your R6. What is the projected build time these days? Maybe some details on the build...Congrats.
VTENGR
Captain
Captain

Post by VTENGR »

Not sure how well this will come through. Couldn't tick all the boxes due to budget constraints but I'm excited about the build. Haven't finalized anything yet.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VTENGR
Captain
Captain

Post by VTENGR »

R6outboard wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:14 pm
VTENGR wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 3:55 pm After stalking the boards for a few weeks and learning everything I could about Cobalts, I finally reached out to our local dealer. Wrapping up negotiations on a build as we speak, but I think I'm getting a pretty fair deal - especially considering the current market landscape.

Great to hear. You will love your R6. What is the projected build time these days? Maybe some details on the build...Congrats.
The sales manager said they had an allocation that can be modified if I pull the trigger in the next week or so. If I jump on that one I'll take delivery by end of January. I'm skeptical of the timeline. I think he's being a little optimistic.
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

VTENGR wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 7:29 pm

The sales manager said they had an allocation that can be modified if I pull the trigger in the next week or so. If I jump on that one I'll take delivery by end of January. I'm skeptical of the timeline. I think he's being a little optimistic.
Congrats on the new 6. They cut a ton of production slots so they arent swapped like last summer and I bet they will be able to make the date now.

What are some of the options you would have chose if money was not an object? I was trying to keep the cost down for my wife at our order time but then she joined the Cobalt FB page and started adding things. Just cant win sometimes
CS23
VTENGR
Captain
Captain

Post by VTENGR »

dustinm wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:58 pm

Congrats on the new 6. They cut a ton of production slots so they arent swapped like last summer and I bet they will be able to make the date now.

What are some of the options you would have chose if money was not an object? I was trying to keep the cost down for my wife at our order time but then she joined the Cobalt FB page and started adding things. Just cant win sometimes
I think if I had a little bigger budget I would have gone with the bigger screens, platinum sound, and the trim tabs.
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

VTENGR wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:07 am

I think if I had a little bigger budget I would have gone with the bigger screens, platinum sound, and the trim tabs.
Welcome and good luck with your purchase.
If you'd read some of the threads here, you'd have gotten the trim tabs.
Other threads advise platinum sound.
We're happy with no trim tabs and premium sound; just happy to have Cobalt.
I'm not one to spend other people's money.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
VTENGR
Captain
Captain

Post by VTENGR »

Yeah, There was the "4 must haves" and the "trim tab" thread that really got me thinking in that line - I really struggled with the sound and trim tabs. I'm a big stereo guy so the platinum sound was very intriguing. However, premium with a sub and transom speakers will be better than what I had before - which was nothing. So that was my philosophy.

With regard to the trim tabs - I really wanted to get them, but then I thought long and hard about how the boat will be used the vast majority of the time. It will mostly just be me and my family, so I don't foresee an issue with the boat leaning too bad one way or another. For the rare occasions when we have a lot of ppl on the boat, I guess I'll just deal with it. This is one of those options that once you have it, you can never not have it, but if you've never had it, you don't know what you're missing. It's not a huge price upgrade to get the tabs, so I may add that on, but I'm like you. I'll be happy to just be in a Cobalt and once I'm on the water I won't be thinking about all the what ifs.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Krob1114 wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 6:08 am
VTENGR wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 5:07 am

Welcome and good luck with your purchase.
If you'd read some of the threads here, you'd have gotten the trim tabs.
Other threads advise platinum sound.
We're happy with no trim tabs and premium sound; just happy to have Cobalt.
I'm not one to spend other people's money.
But I am get Tabs! 🤑🤑😂
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
tgrace98
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by tgrace98 »

I see you put a tower on the build. If you boat in a warmer climate where you will have the bimini deployed a lot I would throw in the trim tabs. We pretty much have our bimini on our tower deployed from memorial day to October and if you get a bit of a cross wind it can be a wind sail. I would never buy this size boat again without tabs. Also nothing worse than showing off your brand new boat to your family and friends.. Then when they go to sit down you say spread out :lol:

Ps Get the tabs
2019 Cobalt R7 VP 6.2 380hp
“Smooth Operator”

Lake St. Louis, MO
Table Rock Lake
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

Our boat does not have trim tabs and you cant even order them on a CS but I notice the lean with just 3 people. I probably more aware and pay more attention to it because of all the comments, and if its windy out and port side is into the wind the boat is not as pleasurable to drive. Its not the amount of people in the boat its the balance of side to side and it only takes a couple people to unbalance.

As for options, we installed all the factory options that a person couldnt easily do after it was built. I skimped on the factory stereo because I dont find it all difficult to install myself ie wiring and cutting fiberglass, and it seems if you look thru all the threads the stereo is the first item to be upgraded on any boat.
CS23
drtbar
Commander
Commander

Post by drtbar »

Yeah look at the seating arrangement on the R6, and most boats of this size. You have more seats on the port side than starboard = port lean. Couple taps of the port tab and you're even keel.

Looks like you already read the trim tab thread, and obviously I'm a huge fan of the tabs. It just makes things so much easier. But in my search for a boat, I was surprised that it was about half that did not have tabs. That fit with my sales reps experience with what he sells as well. No tabs was a deal breaker for me.

I only went with the premium stereo as well, but plan on adding another sub after delivery. I can do that for a lot less than $3k.
2022 R6
Mona Lake - Lake Michigan, Norton Shores, MI