Cobalt 282 with 2 beeps - IAC?

(190 through 360)
garethcayman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Cobalt 282 with 2 beeps - IAC?

Post by garethcayman »

Hi everybody,

Purchased a beautiful 2009 Cobalt 282 with Mercruiser 496 Mag 6 months ago, embarrassed to say I'd never heard of Cobalt Boats before seeing this 282!

It has been a fairly quiet first couple of months of boat ownership, occasional issue here and then but pretty minor.... and now I have my first Guardian warning alarm - two beeps every minute.

I suspect it is the IAC - I have read about IAC melting and taking out the wiring harnesses, etc and want to replace it as quickly as possible.

I filmed this video https://www.youtube.com/embed/X_7bXXnmL5A

Anyone out there able to add their two cents. Am I on the right track?

Parts out here are crazy expensive - local Cobalt dealer in the Cayman Islands wanted about USD$300 for the Mercrusier IAC. I don't have a scanner tool yet so not keen on buying a new IAC unless I have too.

Many thanks
2009 Cobalt 282
Merc 496 MAG w/ Bravo 3
Rum Point,
Cayman Islands
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Re: Cobalt 282 with 2 beeps - IAC?

Post by Titaniumboy »

Here is a list of Mercruiser alarms with the 496 Mag being shown on pdf Page 6.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/keysy ... _horns.pdf

Two beeps per minute indicates an open or shorted sensor, but with no indication of which sensor is the problem.

I just installed the Mercury VesselView Mobile on my 496 Mag several months ago. It is the first time in the 14 years I have owned our boat that I have had any access to the engine data and alarms. VesselView Mobile is around $200 and did not require any new gauges or modifications to the helm console.

https://www.amazon.com/Mercury-Marine-V ... B01MTGBKPQ
2007 Cobalt 240 with Merc 496 MAG Bravo 3
1977 18’ Beachcraft with Ford 302 V8 OMC 190
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
SAB220
Captain
Captain

Post by SAB220 »

Battery Health? I 'm not familiar with your boat but do you have smart gauges. Reset on the gauges? I'd consult the manual first.. Did you buy the engine manual? Ignition key O'K - alarm when starting? If you've owned the boat for 6 months I'd look around wiggle wiring harness check the fuses, get on your back. Look for the obvious stuff, google the problem. RINDA products are the industry standard for scan tools as I understand it. Also Kinda expensive for one engine unless you can share the cost. Good luck.
2004 220
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Hey gc...so glad you found us!

After seeing this and your other post, I would clean the flame arrestor. The flame arrestor is the metal mesh filter looking piece and as the name suggests, the purpose is to stop flames, which can result from an engine backfiring, from coming into contact with other fuel and starting a fire on board your boat. It needs to be in good condition. Your engine receives air from that intake and your flame arrestor is choking that engine which is why it is stalling. It is easy to take off and clean using a small brush and denatured alcohol. Rinse, dry and reinstall. I bet she starts right up and stays running.

If you feel like tackling the Idle air control valve after cleaning your flame arrestor, here's a quick one minute video. Try not to get distracted watching this dudes face. :lol:

Hope this helps. Post another pic or two when you can. We love them here.

And again, welcome aboard mate!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
kbloom72
Commander
Commander

Post by kbloom72 »

I had a similar problem on my 262 with the 496. There wasn't an IAC filter installed. After correcting that it starts perfectly every time. As far as the beeps, a double beep is considered a minor alarm and you won't lose power from it. As noted above, it's probably a sensor. I also have a Vessel View and it's proven to be money well spent.
2005 Cobalt 262
Fox River Grove, IL
garethcayman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by garethcayman »

Thanks for the link very useful.

I saw the Vesselview but was on the fence and wasn't sure it was supported.

Have confirmed it is a 2008 496 Mag so should be OK I believe? Have added this to my Amazon basket for delivery in a few weeks!

Many thanks

Titaniumboy wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 10:51 pm Here is a list of Mercruiser alarms with the 496 Mag being shown on pdf Page 6.

http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/keysy ... _horns.pdf

Two beeps per minute indicates an open or shorted sensor, but with no indication of which sensor is the problem.

I just installed the Mercury VesselView Mobile on my 496 Mag several months ago. It is the first time in the 14 years I have owned our boat that I have had any access to the engine data and alarms. VesselView Mobile is around $200 and did not require any new gauges or modifications to the helm console.

https://www.amazon.com/Mercury-Marine-V ... B01MTGBKPQ
2009 Cobalt 282
Merc 496 MAG w/ Bravo 3
Rum Point,
Cayman Islands
garethcayman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by garethcayman »

Howdy,

Thanks for replying, could be battery health... I'm ordering the Vesselview to confirm. Worth it for $200.

No smart gauges, definitely old school gauges on the boat.

Cheers I'll do some more digging. I have a PDF of the manual, need to put aside some time tomorrow with some beers and take a look!
SAB220 wrote: Wed Jan 05, 2022 11:14 pm Battery Health? I 'm not familiar with your boat but do you have smart gauges. Reset on the gauges? I'd consult the manual first.. Did you buy the engine manual? Ignition key O'K - alarm when starting? If you've owned the boat for 6 months I'd look around wiggle wiring harness check the fuses, get on your back. Look for the obvious stuff, google the problem. RINDA products are the industry standard for scan tools as I understand it. Also Kinda expensive for one engine unless you can share the cost. Good luck.
2009 Cobalt 282
Merc 496 MAG w/ Bravo 3
Rum Point,
Cayman Islands
garethcayman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by garethcayman »

Hey AsLan7,

Thanks for the welcome, good to be here. Don't feel like I'm scrambling in the dark when weird stuff happens now!

You were spot on with the flame arrestor. I took it off and cleaned it and the engine starts fine now.

Bloody two beeps are still there but we are getting closer!

I've put IAC + IAC Muffler + Vesselview in my Amazon basket and going to ship that over - will keep IAC as a spare if the Vesselview reports something else. Need to try figure out this mystery, don't like driving the boat while it is beeping but I can't stop taking the kids tubing and wakeboarding. :D

A car like dashboard with alarm lights would have been so much simplier...

Cheers

G

AsLan7 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:37 am .
Hey gc...so glad you found us!

After seeing this and your other post, I would clean the flame arrestor. The flame arrestor is the metal mesh filter looking piece and as the name suggests, the purpose is to stop flames, which can result from an engine backfiring, from coming into contact with other fuel and starting a fire on board your boat. It needs to be in good condition. Your engine receives air from that intake and your flame arrestor is choking that engine which is why it is stalling. It is easy to take off and clean using a small brush and denatured alcohol. Rinse, dry and reinstall. I bet she starts right up and stays running.

If you feel like tackling the Idle air control valve after cleaning your flame arrestor, here's a quick one minute video. Try not to get distracted watching this dudes face. :lol:

Hope this helps. Post another pic or two when you can. We love them here.

And again, welcome aboard mate!

2009 Cobalt 282
Merc 496 MAG w/ Bravo 3
Rum Point,
Cayman Islands
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Also just make sure you check the drive oil reservoir tank. Make sure it's full.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
garethcayman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by garethcayman »

is that the same as the gear lube reservoir?

that is normally my first go to.

Big Block Power wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:00 pm Also just make sure you check the drive oil reservoir tank. Make sure it's full.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2009 Cobalt 282
Merc 496 MAG w/ Bravo 3
Rum Point,
Cayman Islands
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

garethcayman wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:07 am is that the same as the gear lube reservoir?

Big Block Power wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:00 pm Also just make sure you check the drive oil reservoir tank. Make sure it's full.
That's it.
Fluid level should be between the lines.
Use Merc Gear Lube.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
SAB220
Captain
Captain

Post by SAB220 »

Ya Cayman that tank its called a monitor tank for obvious reasons (you can visually see the level). It purpose is to lubricate the drive/lower unit. My computer says its 83 degrees in the Cayman Islands today. That 90 weight gear oil will flow right out of the bottle..hmmm. I'd have to dig it out with a spoon or heat it up first.
2004 220
garethcayman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by garethcayman »

ouch! indeed we are super spoilt here. Just got back from another day on the water. Tough life trying to do this all year round :lol:
2009 Cobalt 282
Merc 496 MAG w/ Bravo 3
Rum Point,
Cayman Islands
garethcayman
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by garethcayman »

Thanks AsLan7,

I always keep some on the boat now with a bottle of coolant too.

That stalling at startup is back, even with the clean flame arrestor. The engine is dying without neutral throttle whilst starting. OK when warm but cold starts I have to use neutral throttle.

I'm going to Fedex in the Vesselview and a new IAC... the suspense is killing me now!

Whoever designed the two beeps every 60 seconds is an evil genius. It is so annoying, worse than a baby screaming. :x

AsLan7 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 9:34 am
garethcayman wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 8:07 am is that the same as the gear lube reservoir?

That's it.
Fluid level should be between the lines.
Use Merc Gear Lube.

2009 Cobalt 282
Merc 496 MAG w/ Bravo 3
Rum Point,
Cayman Islands
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

Yea sounds like the iac. Also take carb cleaner and spray it on a rag and clean your throttle plate and throttle bore.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!