Purchasing a 1995 272

(190 through 360)
sming250r
Commander
Commander

Purchasing a 1995 272

Post by sming250r »

We are looking at buying this 272. It has been sitting for a couple years covered under a carport. It definitely needs a good cleaning and needs some attention to a few small chips in the gel coat. The boat and motor have 400 hours on it with the outdrive being replace 15 hours ago due to hitting rocks and was replaced by insurance. It appears the props were not replaced at the same time. The drive appears to be leaking where the line comes through the transom and is dripping down just one side of the drive itself. Carpet is in rough shape and plan to replace that with aqua marine deck or something similar if purchased. The only thing that wasn't in working condition was the electric trim tabs on either side. Captains call worked the last time it was started.

The trailer is in nice condition with brand new tires all the way around. There a few of the pads that need carpet replaced but nothing is down to bare wood.

My main concerns on the boat are some spider cracking of the gel coat around the exhaust and the trim rams. I guess I am looking for a little guidance, as this will be our first boat purchase. We are located in Iowa and this is about the worst time to be looking at boats but I feel like I shouldn't pass this boat by. Ill try to attach some pictures.

Sorry for the image sizes
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1995 252 7.4L 300HP
sming250r
Commander
Commander

Re: Purchasing a 1995 272

Post by sming250r »

more pictures
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
1995 252 7.4L 300HP
sming250r
Commander
Commander

Post by sming250r »

last of the pictures
1995 252 7.4L 300HP
VTENGR
Captain
Captain

Post by VTENGR »

At the very least, before buying it, throw the muffs on it and have the owner start the engine.
2022 R6 VP350 Ebony/Frost/White
sming250r
Commander
Commander

Post by sming250r »

VTENGR wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 12:27 pm At the very least, before buying it, throw the muffs on it and have the owner start the engine.
Ok thanks, The seller has agreed to let me take it to a shop to have them look it over. That gives me a little bit of comfort knowing he is ok with that. I think it will be worth the added cost to take it to a shop though. If it weren't supposed to be getting down in the teens at night all week I would be more apt to ask to do that. The boat is being stored outside
1995 252 7.4L 300HP
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

Im pretty sure that year of 272 had a wood transom. It looks like most of the spiderwebbing came from the install trim tabs, which applies pressure in the areas you see cracking.(normally I wouldnt worry about spider webbing on the outside of the hull, but because of the location it raises flags) This could be compounded if the transom is seeing some rot - I would want a pro to perform a marine survey on this boat or at the minimum test that transom. From the looks of the engine bay this boat does not look like it received the highest level of care, which only makes me question the integrity of the transom more.
CS23
sming250r
Commander
Commander

Post by sming250r »

Ok thanks for the input. I wasn't for sure on the wood transom so is good information. The tech that I'm talking to said he would be able to "test" the transom out and make sure it was going to be good. He seems to be very knowledgeable.

I've been trolling this forum for the past month or so and finally decided to join and make a post. I really appreciate all the information and the help from everyone.
1995 252 7.4L 300HP
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

The first thing I do when buying a boat is look at the bilge. This one looks pretty darn clean so I would buy it!
I wish mine was that clean. Not sure what Dustin was seeing?
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Hey sming250r. So glad you found us!

How handy are you? If you can get this boat at a great price and you have some mechanical knowledge then I’d go for it.

…and get those props replaced. :D

Welcome aboard mate!

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
VTENGR
Captain
Captain

Post by VTENGR »

Big Block Power wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:14 pm The first thing I do when buying a boat is look at the bilge. This one looks pretty darn clean so I would buy it!
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but can you specify exactly what you look for? Rust stains? From my, admittedly untrained, eye this bilge is filthy.
sming250r
Commander
Commander

Post by sming250r »

I'm pretty mechanically inclined. So most of the repairs I feel comfortable doing. I really just want a professional tech to look at it for negotiation purposes. Since this is a new boat to me I know I'll need to replace the impeller. After the first replacement is that something that should be done every season?
1995 252 7.4L 300HP
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

VTENGR wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:41 am
Big Block Power wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 6:14 pm The first thing I do when buying a boat is look at the bilge. This one looks pretty darn clean so I would buy it!
I can't tell if you're being sarcastic or not, but can you specify exactly what you look for? Rust stains? From my, admittedly untrained, eye this bilge is filthy.
I was very sarcastic. The bilge tells a story about the boat and the owner. One that cares well care about every inch of his boat and not neglect any of it. When you see that much neglected they also neglected alot more that the eye can't see. I wouldn't buy any boat if it looked like that. It will be a pain to clean and fix non stop. Also if the insurance paid for the drive why are those props on it? They always pay to repair or replace them. Something fishy there. My bilge looks like this and this is what the bilge looked like on the boat I sold also.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
VTENGR
Captain
Captain

Post by VTENGR »

Big Block Power wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:25 am
I was very sarcastic. The bilge tells a story about the boat and the owner. One that cares well care about every inch of his boat and not neglect any of it. When you see that much neglected they also neglected alot more that the eye can't see. I wouldn't buy any boat if it looked like that. It will be a pain to clean and fix non stop. Also if the insurance paid for the drive why are those props on it? They always pay to repair or replace them. Something fishy there. My bilge looks like this and this is what the bilge looked like on the boat I sold also.
Thanks for the response. I'm obviously a noob when it comes to boat ownership so it sometimes hard to pick up on the sarcasm.
sming250r
Commander
Commander

Post by sming250r »

VTENGR wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 7:42 am

Thanks for the response. I'm obviously a noob when it comes to boat ownership so it sometimes hard to pick up on the sarcasm.

Same! Thanks for the response and the clarification.
1995 252 7.4L 300HP
sming250r
Commander
Commander

Post by sming250r »

That thought had crossed through my mind as well about the props. There are definitely some flags starting to come up, which was why I wanted to get some more eyes on some of the problem areas that I had thought of.
1995 252 7.4L 300HP