Still looking for an R5 but got a ride on an R6

(R3, R5, R7, R30, R35)
RalphP
Ensign
Ensign

Still looking for an R5 but got a ride on an R6

Post by RalphP »

I introduced myself a bit ago and have been looking for an R5. But I've never had a ride on one and a nearby dealer had a demo day last
Friday so my wife and I drove over and went for a ride on a new available R6 pretty loaded with a 300HP Yamaha outboard.

I should first apologize for the comments to follow and say that I'm a diehard motorhead born in Detroit who won't drive a slow car or a slow boat, period.

My honest impression of the ride is that it's a gorgeous boat that rides and handles great in moderate to rough chop but needs two of those outboards, not one. Getting up on plane was a weak effort with the motor thrashing and groaning. I asked the salesman to gun it from 30mph and there was more thrashing with no immediate response then the boat began to accelerate but not that well.

To be fair, my last boat was a similarly sized Four Winns H260 with a Merc 8.2 380 and the Whipple upgrade and CC. It was nothing but funfunfun and a total kick in the butt literally! Plus the sound was to die for. I want to get as close to that experience as possible in a Cobalt.

So I am mostly looking at 2017 and newer R5s with Volvo 430 (but there hardly are any) and more likely Volvo 380. But should I be looking for a big block model? Are they out there and for what years? Anybody here thinking of upgrading to the R6 wanna sell me theirs?
greenhut
Captain
Captain

Re: Still looking for an R5 but got a ride on an R6

Post by greenhut »

I also came from a prior 25' ish Bryant bowrider with a VP 8.1, so I hear you... We drove an R5 with a 350, but had one built to order with the 380. Mostly went with the 380 for larger displacement, lower frequency engine noise, and possibly longer life. It is plenty fast for me and very responsive to plane and accelerate. Some good threads on here about the 430, but it is nearly identical to the 380. R5 with the 430 is propped differently probably contributing more to the few extra MPH than the engine computer difference.

The new gen VP I/Os are pretty amazing at quick torque generation. Have never been on an outboard powered cobalt, so cant compare...
Last edited by greenhut on Fri Aug 05, 2022 12:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
2020 Cobalt R5
Ebony/KO Red boot stripe
VP V8-380-DP, Trim Tabs
Arch, Interior LED, ACR
Prem Sound, Sea Grass
Blue UW Lights
Mooring Cover
RalphP
Ensign
Ensign

Post by RalphP »

Thank you Greenhut, Wish I could get a ride on a 380VP.
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

I have a R5 with a 350 VP. It hits about 53 mph. The gen5 VPs have a wide torque range and with the dual prop has great hole shot and acceleration at all RPM's. But reading your post I get the sense you might not be happy so I would recommend to look for one equipped with the 380 VP.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by Big Block Power »

I've been on a r7 with the 380 and I would have no issues owning one with that set up. Coming from my boat is be more than happy with it.
R5 with 380 vp or merc you will be happy. 430 vp or Merc you will be even more happy. Yes they are out there and rare. Even a 520 pops up every now and then.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
"Pot The Jus" Originator :-)
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
CobaltDeadHead
Captain
Captain

Post by CobaltDeadHead »

I thought I read on here from someone that only two 520s were ever built. I would have figured more, but perhaps the premium was that great few people went beyond 430s
2005 Cobalt 24SX 350Mag
2010 Key West 186 DC - retired
Lake Winnipesaukee
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

CobaltDeadHead wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 6:45 am I thought I read on here from someone that only two 520s were ever built. I would have figured more, but perhaps the premium was that great few people went beyond 430s
Not many wanted to pay extra for the 430 when the 380 has really done so well. Which yes hard to believe im kinda with them on that. Volvo really has a good thing with the 380. The bad thing is we never got a side by side comparison apples to apples between a same r and 430 vs 380.
You would think with all of the guys on TRL or another lake that would have happened but nope. I know that a r7 with the 380 keeps up to mine pretty good to almost 50 then it is over after that. Even the hole shot is pretty impressive for that big of a boat. The bad thing is not many mercs out there so really can't tell you how they perform against the Volvo. Cobalt and Merc just dont get along unless you're here in Wisconsin then you will see
Merc.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
drtbar
Commander
Commander

Post by drtbar »

I assume you got a price for a brand new one?

Last year, I was ready to pull the trigger on several used ones because I just don't value the premium for brand new. For shits and giggles I reached out to my dealer and I paid a little less than all the used ones I was looking at for brand new. Everyone knows used prices are ridiculous right now, but I had no idea how ridiculous. Probably just as ridiculous is that my dealer is charging the same for a new one that he was charging pre pandemic, MSRP-20%.

My point is it doesn't hurt to get a price. And although Cobalt enforces dealer territories, call a couple of dealers around you and say you're moving to the area and need a price.

The reason you don't see many 430s is because of the insane $25k build markup from the base 300. I have a 350 and I can throw a person back into the back seat going from 30MPH to full throttle. I'm with stifflkd, it has really good torque and acceleration.
2022 R6
Mona Lake - Lake Michigan, Norton Shores, MI
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

I have a 2014 R5 with a VP 380. I have slid people off the rear facing seat onto the floor while cruising around 25mph and hitting WOT. But it tops out between 50 and 53 depending on number of people, fuel load wind and current. It’s a lot better than my old 21’ Sea Ray with a 350mag and a bravo 3. That would top out at 50 with a light load and drop to around 42 when fully loaded. It’s not very often that we run that fast anymore though. The VP 380 in an R5 jumps out of the hole with very little bow rise! Without looking I think I have the FH4 prop set and have always wondered what it would be like to try the next set up in props, the boat has such a hole shot that I don’t think it would hurt to lose a little hole shot for more top end. But like I said earlier we don’t get that fast anymore so I don’t see the need to spend a couple thousand just to try...
RalphP
Ensign
Ensign

Post by RalphP »

Thanks everyone for your comments. So I might be OK with a VP380... I will talk to the dealer about a new one but the online price for a decent build is way up there including like $17K "factory material surcharge" And here in SW Florida nobody wants an I/O so I would prefer to invest way less in a used one given it will be hard to resell here. I'll check back in if I find something.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Snowman8 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:17 am I have a 2014 R5 with a VP 380. I have slid people off the rear facing seat onto the floor while cruising around 25mph and hitting WOT. But it tops out between 50 and 53 depending on number of people, fuel load wind and current. It’s a lot better than my old 21’ Sea Ray with a 350mag and a bravo 3. That would top out at 50 with a light load and drop to around 42 when fully loaded. It’s not very often that we run that fast anymore though. The VP 380 in an R5 jumps out of the hole with very little bow rise! Without looking I think I have the FH4 prop set and have always wondered what it would be like to try the next set up in props, the boat has such a hole shot that I don’t think it would hurt to lose a little hole shot for more top end. But like I said earlier we don’t get that fast anymore so I don’t see the need to spend a couple thousand just to try...
Tuscany grafted he is diff went up 1 and is thinking of going up 2 pitches.
I bet you would rather have a fh5. Cruising rp. Less and better fuel economy and less rpm noise. I don't think you would miss the fh4.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

Big Block Power wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 10:02 am
Snowman8 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:17 am I have a 2014 R5 with a VP 380. I have slid people off the rear facing seat onto the floor while cruising around 25mph and hitting WOT. But it tops out between 50 and 53 depending on number of people, fuel load wind and current. It’s a lot better than my old 21’ Sea Ray with a 350mag and a bravo 3. That would top out at 50 with a light load and drop to around 42 when fully loaded. It’s not very often that we run that fast anymore though. The VP 380 in an R5 jumps out of the hole with very little bow rise! Without looking I think I have the FH4 prop set and have always wondered what it would be like to try the next set up in props, the boat has such a hole shot that I don’t think it would hurt to loose a little hole shot for more top end. But like I said earlier we don’t get that fast anymore so I don’t see the need to spend a couple thousand just to try...
I bet you would rather have a fh5. Cruising rp. Less and better fuel economy and less rpm noise. I don't think you would miss the fh4.
Does Tuscany know what motor he has yet? Didn’t he order a 380 and it came with a 430 engine cover?
I would like to try a set of FH5’s. I also have the 2.14 gears in the lower unit. The way my boat accelerates I don’t think it would hurt it one bit to go up at least one size in props.
Big Block Power
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Snowman8 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:40 pm
Snowman8 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 8:17 am I have a 2014 R5 with a VP 380. I have slid people off the rear facing seat onto the floor while cruising around 25mph and hitting WOT. But it tops out between 50 and 53 depending on number of people, fuel load wind and current. It’s a lot better than my old 21’ Sea Ray with a 350mag and a bravo 3. That would top out at 50 with a light load and drop to around 42 when fully loaded. It’s not very often that we run that fast anymore though. The VP 380 in an R5 jumps out of the hole with very little bow rise! Without looking I think I have the FH4 prop set and have always wondered what it would be like to try the next set up in props, the boat has such a hole shot that I don’t think it would hurt to loose a little hole shot for more top end. But like I said earlier we don’t get that fast anymore so I don’t see the need to spend a couple thousand just to try...
Does Tuscany know what motor he has yet? Didn’t he order a 380 and it came with a 430 engine cover?
I would like to try a set of FH5’s. I also have the 2.14 gears in the lower unit. The way my boat accelerates I don’t think it would hurt it one bit to go up at least one size in props.
He's got a 430. All of the numbers go with it. I think the drive might be for the 380 though. Don't quote me but I think it is. Hence the big prop changes he can do.
03Cobalt220 8.1gxi DP
"Kids in Tow2"
Neenah Wi
#ItsBu'sfault
#FARCON Marine CC Core!
ForeverCobalt
Commander
Commander

Post by ForeverCobalt »

As a newbie owner of an R6 I cant say I have much to compare it to but having it out in the ocean here in the pacific i think it handles the waves well and have not had a seastate that was conducive to full out. For me I think it comes down to what you want in a boat. While I am with you on power power power, I just couldn't afford to drop $300k on an R8 with twins on them. For us it is a leisure cruiser and just a pleasure boat but as I said everyone is different. I am only sharing this because I dont feel it is underpowered with the Merc 300, if you dont have expectations of it launching like an offshore powerboat. Again, I say all of this from a newbie perspective but would want prospective not to kick out the R6 OB and go to a lesser brand with more power. Just my 1.5 cents
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

Snowman8 wrote: Sat Aug 06, 2022 3:40 pm
I might know someone with a set of FH5s on the shelf
CS23