Anyone move from a R3 to R4 or R5 to R6?

(R3, R5, R7, R30, R35)
lghtspeedz
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Anyone move from a R3 to R4 or R5 to R6?

Post by lghtspeedz »

Hi Everyone,
I’ve been enjoying this forum. I’m curious if anyone has made the move from an odd series R to an even series? This feedback my help guide me on our next boat.

My current ride is a 2014 Stingray 225LR. It’s a light, fast sporty bowrider. We’ve had it for three years and I already have two footitus (probably more like 3 or 4). This was my first boat, but I grew up on my grandfather’s Whaler. We boat on Lake George most of the time but occasionally visit other spots (last year we took it Winnepesaukee for a week). This year the lake chop has gotten to me, and I’m just about ready to size up. We are a family of four and the Stingray can feel a little cramped when we bring others along. I love the enclosed u-shaped cockpit, oversized fuel tank (56 gallons!), storage, and simplicity of the design. But it is not built for rough water, and Lake George has sections that get multi-directional lake chop that pounds this hull style. It’s also got the Merc 5.0 with Alpha One, the outdrive being the thing I like least (I knew going into this I would).

I bought the boat from a Cobalt dealer. I dock, store, and service the Stingray with them. For what was a small transaction, they have been good to me, and my intent is to stay with them and maintain my dock space. I initiated a conversation about some larger options. They had a barely used Chaparral, and I inquired about any used R5’s coming in. As any good salesperson should do, they tried to upsell me to a new R4, which made a better impression in person than it does on their website. One thing I learned so far in this process is that trading in a boat is nothing like trading in a car. There is a huge difference between market value and trade in value (like 1/3) so I will have to sell the Stingray outright when I eventually move forward. This tells me I should try to get the next one right because moving up can be costly and/or a pain in the ass.

So… I’ve read about the hull changes in the even series and coming from a hull that isn’t forgiving I’m obviously nervous. I’m curious if anyone went from the odd series to the even series? How is the ride? How does it handle chop? What about the added weight? Do you miss the old one?

My instinct said to be picky and hold out for the right R5. I can still trailer it pretty easily, I love the look on the water, and it gives us a lot more space. It also has a tried and true ride. But I know if they get one in I will have to move quickly and likely pay top dollar for one on this lake. So that leads me to the R4 or R6 as an option, as they pointed out. It even opens the door for me to get one of the OB models if I wanted. It then becomes a question of how much budget I want to blow. Realistically I could probably do a R5 sooner than later. A new R4 or R6 spec’d out the way I want probably delays this a year. I’m not cheap, just frugal and financially conservative. It might be nice to spec out what I want, but only if the ride and experience is similar to what I know you get from something like the R5. It’s a ton of money to spend only to be disappointed.

Thanks for having such a great forum. It’s a huge draw to the brand that there are so many enthusiasts with great info available!
2015 Cobalt R7- Navy w/ Yellow Stripe and VP V8-380HP
2014 Stingray 225LR - Red with Mercruiser 5.0 260hp (FOR SALE!)
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Re: Anyone move from a R3 to R4 or R5 to R6?

Post by dustinm »

I personally would skip right over 3/4 and look for 5/6.

If you like swim platforms and hanging out behind the boat in a cove, I wouldnt go with OBs.
CS23
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Hey ls so glad you found us.

Stingray makes a good boat but Cobalts are in a whole nutha' league. You will enjoy the upgrade.

I can't help you with your question as far as even or odd but from what I've read, if surfing is your thing then the even series has really improved on the surf wake. Others will chime in shortly.

Any pics of your Stingray?

And welcome aboard mate!

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
lghtspeedz
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by lghtspeedz »

Yes, of course! The first was a last day of the season photo. I hauled her out to clean her. The second is from one of the islands on Lake George.

It is a very good boat. One thing that impressed me was the fact that its just over 22 feet long and is rated for 2,000 lbs if people and gear. Not a lot of freeboard though! Haha. If we were on a smaller lake, I wouldn’t be entertaining this idea. But there is so much to do and beauty on Lake George that it would be hard to spend all our time elsewhere.

I agree. The Cobalt is in a totally different league. It feels heavy and substantial. My boat is sturdy, but it just feels light. I think 3,300 lbs dry weight with the V8! It also seems to want to go 35mph or faster at a minimum to have optimal handling - that’s just not possible on many days with that hull. I think length and heft are my best friend on this lake. We aren’t much into watersports yet. Our kids are 3 and 5. I could see starting with tubing next year. I think we’ll get there though.

I’m definitely looking forward to some feedback, even if it means I end up waiting a little while to do all of this and get what I want. Sometimes I can be patient!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
lghtspeedz
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by lghtspeedz »

dustinm wrote: Mon Aug 08, 2022 11:49 am I personally would skip right over 3/4 and look for 5/6.

If you like swim platforms and hanging out behind the boat in a cove, I wouldnt go with OBs.
That’s my worry about the OB models. We do use that swim platform quite a bit. I just love the Verado and grew up with outboards. I’m getting used to the stern drive. I just don’t know much about the VP motors - which is what they primarily use at this marina.

I too think maybe I just go up the size now.
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

If you are looking at an R5 then the new R6 is the equivalent and not the R4. Both have a head and are similar in cockpit dimensions. I personally prefer an I/O over an outboard not only because of the swim platform but I boat in saltwater and the VP's are closed cool. The dual prop is also a big plus with the I/O, it drives straight in forward and reverse and the extra bite you get with two props pops the boat out of the water regardless of load.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
AsLan7
Fleet Admiral
Fleet Admiral

Post by AsLan7 »

Nice pics. Love the Fall leaves in the background.

Those two Cobalts diagonally across from your slip also looks like beauts.

2002 Cobalt 262
&
2005 Cobalt 263
496 MagHO
(sold )
Erie, PA
Currently boatless (for now)
will fly for food

(CChat moderator)
dsthomas
Captain
Captain

Post by dsthomas »

I just went from our r7 to an r8…. We did it for the surf wave. If your not looking to surf then I’d probably recommend the odd series. The handle the chop very well and they are lighter! Don’t get me wrong we love our R8 and with its extra weight it handles the chop maybe even a little better than the R7 did, but she burns through the gas pretty good. I also really like the lines the old r series boats as well. We love our R8 but our family also loves to surf. I miss everything about our r7 except the surf wave. Anyhow, my 2 cents. If your looking R/5/6 and don’t have a surf option in mind then I’d go R5
Kansas City, MO
2011 242 VP 5.7 GXi (Sold)
2016 A25 VP 350 (Sold)
2020 R7 Surf VP 380 (Sold)
2022 R8 Surf VP 380
Snowman8
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Snowman8 »

I definitely recommend to go as big as your budget will allow! I had 2 footitis’ twice! Then I moved up 5 feet in length! If I move up in size again it will be by that much again but I have no plans to anytime soon... unless someone offers me WAY too much for my current R5! :lol:
We definitely enjoy riding in our R5 in rough water way better than our old Sea Ray 210. Having trim tabs just makes them handle the chop, wind and current better!
lghtspeedz
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by lghtspeedz »

Thanks for some of the feedback. I think I have ruled out a R6 is an option. After reading this forum it seems like you need to get the 380hp motor and that just gets really costly. I had initially thought the OB model would be a good middle ground as it’s also a bit cheaper. I liked the symmetrical cockpit layout and the aft walk through cushion option seemed like it would mimic the u-shape I live in my current boat. But I thought more about how we use our boat and at this point I think we’d miss that full swim platform. Plus it’s still expensive.

I think my dealer steered me to the R4 due to budget, it’s significantly heavier (and therefore offers a better ride), and he claims the R4 still maintains the extended running surface (I haven’t been able to find that anywhere). I think they also try to steer away from the head/porta potti setup because it can be a headache. I’m not sure on that. Sometimes I think it would be useful for number one only, with my wife’s bladder and two little kids, especially in the early and later season when it can be cold. I’ve been playing around with configurations. I’m not sure I’m getting a great deal, but they seem motivated to make a R4 happen for me so maybe I can finagle a better deal if that’s what I decide.

As far as a used R5, they aren’t sure what they have coming in and when. This could take a while until I find one with these folks that has the features, motor, condition, and hours I want. I think some of them come in on consignment and suspect that’s a different transaction for them. With that said, every time I see one when I’m out on the water It catches my eye and I just think “Man, that is a beautiful boat.” It’s almost an emotional response and I haven’t even driven one. They have demo days next month so they’ll have a R4 for me to drive. That will be telling. They ma also have an idea of any additional Used R5’s coming in at that time too. In the meantime I’ll keep configuring R4’s and try to get an idea of what a good discount for that would be.

Thanks again. I appreciate the feedback from all!
dustinm
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by dustinm »

If I was to spend R money that boat better have a head, at the very least the cheapest option for the head. Otherwise stay with a CS, they look better.
CS23
VTENGR
Captain
Captain

Post by VTENGR »

lghtspeedz wrote: Tue Aug 09, 2022 7:52 pm Thanks for some of the feedback. I think I have ruled out a R6 is an option. After reading this forum it seems like you need to get the 380hp motor and that just gets really costly. I had initially thought the OB model would be a good middle ground as it’s also a bit cheaper. I liked the symmetrical cockpit layout and the aft walk through cushion option seemed like it would mimic the u-shape I live in my current boat. But I thought more about how we use our boat and at this point I think we’d miss that full swim platform. Plus it’s still expensive.

I think my dealer steered me to the R4 due to budget, it’s significantly heavier (and therefore offers a better ride), and he claims the R4 still maintains the extended running surface (I haven’t been able to find that anywhere). I think they also try to steer away from the head/porta potti setup because it can be a headache. I’m not sure on that. Sometimes I think it would be useful for number one only, with my wife’s bladder and two little kids, especially in the early and later season when it can be cold. I’ve been playing around with configurations. I’m not sure I’m getting a great deal, but they seem motivated to make a R4 happen for me so maybe I can finagle a better deal if that’s what I decide.

As far as a used R5, they aren’t sure what they have coming in and when. This could take a while until I find one with these folks that has the features, motor, condition, and hours I want. I think some of them come in on consignment and suspect that’s a different transaction for them. With that said, every time I see one when I’m out on the water It catches my eye and I just think “Man, that is a beautiful boat.” It’s almost an emotional response and I haven’t even driven one. They have demo days next month so they’ll have a R4 for me to drive. That will be telling. They ma also have an idea of any additional Used R5’s coming in at that time too. In the meantime I’ll keep configuring R4’s and try to get an idea of what a good discount for that would be.

Thanks again. I appreciate the feedback from all!
I have an R6 with a VP 350 and am very happy with it. I've gotten it to about 50-52 mph which is plenty fast for us. Our lake doesn't really allow for cruising much faster than 40mph anyway before the chop makes the ride too uncomfortable. For context, our use is typically 6 adults and 4 kids plus a tube, coolers and gear - so a pretty loaded boat.
2022 R6 VP350 Ebony/Frost/White
stifflkd
Captain
Captain

Post by stifflkd »

I will say that Cobalt took a bit more effort in taking advantage of more free interior space by going with an outboard. The center entry allows more symmetrical seating and a U shape seating area vs the L shaped in the I/O. Also the two separate lounge areas may come in handy with two kid but all at the expense of a limited swim platform. It comes down to preference and how you use the boat. Do not discount the use of a head. Even the portapotti offers a pump out. Not everyone wants to jump in the water and the fish will appreciate it as well.
2021 R5 Shale/Ebony
VP 5.3L 350
"$TSLA"
Titaniumboy
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by Titaniumboy »

I will say up front that I have no experience of the R series, but I will chime in on the head. The 240 was the smallest Cobalt that had a head, and a head was mandatory since the kids were pre-teen.

Our boat had a portapotti with a pumpout already installed, but that pumpout never made sense for us. I disconnected the pumpout hose and installed caps on the portapotti making it a stand-alone unit. Removing the portapotti from the boat is not a big deal and is fairly convenient. I’ve found the portapotti only needs to be emptied once every two or three years given how little use it sees.
2007 Cobalt 240 with Merc 496 MAG Bravo 3
1977 18’ Beachcraft with Ford 302 V8 OMC 190
Whiskey Slough Marina
Holt, CA
Red Herring55
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by Red Herring55 »

I made a 3 foot jump like you are considering, and for the same reason--better handling/ride in sloppy water. In my case I moved up from a Cobalt to a Cobalt--220S to R5-- but although the 220 was a great boat it got the crap knocked out of it on a busy day. The R5 just floats on top of everything on plane-- my granddaughter said she felt like she was flying. The weight and significantly more freeboard is a game changer. Looked at an R3 as well and although it was also worlds better than the 220 just due to hull design, I figured if I'm going to trade up, then trade UP. You won't regret an R5.