Hydrohoist bunk placement question

sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Hydrohoist bunk placement question

Post by sailor55330 »

For those of you with your boats on a Hydrohoist, I have a question. I just had mine installed yesterday and the bunks rest on the hull fine, but the bunks short of the transom by quite a bit. Can anyone comment on how close to the transom your bunks are? The installer is the top rated Hydrohoist dealer in the area and they were meticulous about the install, it just looks like a lot of overhang to me as I'm used to seeing the bunks right at the transom as on a trailer. They claim this is totally normal as the bunks are typically 14ft. I have almost 3 ft of overhang on the back.

Also, the bunks even with steel support runners sag a fair amount in the middle, but they conform to the hull, does that sound normal? They almost look like a shallow rocking chair. The boat is stable on the lift.

Thanks
NautiWeasel
Commander
Commander

Re: Hydrohoist bunk placement question

Post by NautiWeasel »

I have seen most boats on lifts where we boat, setup like you say yours is. I rarely will see the bunks on a lot go all the way back to the transom, like a trailer does. My guess is there is a lot more stress on the boat while being trailers, than on a lift, so it isn't necessary.

However, I am not a lift owner, so I may be wrong.
Greg,
Nauti Weasel
2014 Cobalt 242 w/380hp Volvo Penta
SOLD: 2007 Rinker Captiva 192 w/200 hp Volvo
SOLD: 2005 Beachcomber Islander 26 pontoon w/90 hp Merc.
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

How close is the weight of your boat to the capacity of the lift?
We bought a used Ozark lift that could have handled a R5, so we have to be more careful to have the trim up so we don't damage anything.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

Krob1114 wrote: Wed Aug 24, 2022 7:58 am How close is the weight of your boat to the capacity of the lift?
We bought a used Ozark lift that could have handled a R5, so we have to be more careful to have the trim up so we don't damage anything.
My lift is an older hydrohoist lift that's rated at 6,000lbs. The tanks are bigger in diameter and taller than the new ones and maybe a little shorter. It came with the house. I think the newer ones are 6,600 with flatter longer tanks. The R3 is 4,450 dry so call it about 4,700 wet with gear so I've got at least 1,000 reserve, maybe a little more. It gets it out of the water fine, except for the tip of the skeg. Less than 2 inches of trim takes care of that and shouldn't put any stress on the drive as it's still horizontal to the water.

It lifts my boat, but I honestly question if it would really lift 6k--it might be a litle overated. As for clearance, I've got about 4-5 inches from the crossbar on the front and proably 3 ft from the lower unit in the back. The only way I could hit the prop is if I backed in. If I hit the lower unit going forward, the bow would be on the dock.

I hope that helps.