Zebra mussels

MNStCroix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Zebra mussels

Post by MNStCroix »

Anyone on here have any experience with mooring their boat to a dock all summer when there are zebra mussels present? I have an outboard today and can trim the engine out of the water between use. The bottom of my hull will have zebra mussels attached to it when I pull the boat out. I am switching to an inboard engine (R8S) and won’t be able to trim the engine out of the water when moored. My concern would be the zebra mussels or the little larva things clogging up intake valves and causing issues. The boat will be used 1-2x per week. I don’t have a boat lift.
Anyone have any experience with this?
Minneapolis, MN
2004 Glastron GX 195 (sold)
2019 Chaparral 21H20 OB (sold)
2023 Cobalt R8 Surf
drtbar
Commander
Commander

Re: Zebra mussels

Post by drtbar »

I would be concerned too. Sounds like you need a boat lift.
2022 R6
Mona Lake - Lake Michigan, Norton Shores, MI
xlint89
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by xlint89 »

Yes, they are a problem. Frequent use does help some.

My friend hardly used his boat and they formed inside his out drive cooling.

The other one who used his a lot, had them form on his anodes, transom, and trim tabs. Fortunately not inside.

Suggest getting a lift, or wash your bottom frequently.
sailor55330
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by sailor55330 »

Zebra Mussels are evil little things that wreak havoc. I'd be concerned about them if I left the boat in the water. I found one once when I winterized and drained my system---it was inside the system---- No idea how long it was there or if it was alive. I've read they can even live 5-10 days out of water. Short of a lift, not sure what can be done if you are in a Zebra Mussel zone, which MN is definitely.
drtbar
Commander
Commander

Post by drtbar »

I pump from my lake for irrigation and I find them in the lines. My irrigation point has the tiny slits in it so there is no way they are getting through that with the size I find them. They're obviously entering my system microscopically and growing to the size of a marble.
2022 R6
Mona Lake - Lake Michigan, Norton Shores, MI
xlint89
Rear Admiral
Rear Admiral

Post by xlint89 »

drtbar wrote: Tue Sep 13, 2022 1:22 pm I pump from my lake for irrigation and I find them in the lines. My irrigation point has the tiny slits in it so there is no way they are getting through that with the size I find them. They're obviously entering my system microscopically and growing to the size of a marble.
Exactly what is happening.
MNStCroix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by MNStCroix »

Thanks for your responses. Getting a lift isn’t an option at the moment.. maybe summer 2024. Too bad nobody has invented a coating to prevent ZM’s. Shark Tank idea?!

The new Volvo engines have the “easy drain” lever function which removes water from the engine system. As a precaution I could drain the engine water after each use also. But then the bilge pump may get clogged if the ZM get in there.. I’m screwed.
Minneapolis, MN
2023 Cobalt R8 Surf
Krob1114
Vice Admiral
Vice Admiral

Post by Krob1114 »

MNStCroix wrote: Tue Sep 20, 2022 9:03 pm Thanks for your responses. Getting a lift isn’t an option at the moment.. maybe summer 2024. Too bad nobody has invented a coating to prevent ZM’s. Shark Tank idea?!

The new Volvo engines have the “easy drain” lever function which removes water from the engine system. As a precaution I could drain the engine water after each use also. But then the bilge pump may get clogged if the ZM get in there.. I’m screwed.
I'm wondering if you could run some bleach through it to kill anything in the system. Others should chime in if this is a bad idea.
2019 Cobalt R3 @ Greers Ferry Lake, AR
Home in Hernando, MS
Elkhunter2372
Commander
Commander

Post by Elkhunter2372 »

We fight them on our houseboat at Lake Powell continuously. The houseboat has outboards. The mussels build up over the winter months especially prompting us to start pulling the boat out of the water the last few seasons. Then with low waters levels at the lake there has been some issue getting the boat back into the water in the spring. Regardless, there are some products out there that are supposed to help with deterring the mussels. We have been trying some different things and they do seem to help. The Dock Disk is one to look at....there is also some coating/grease like product that you can smear on the drive, etc. that will deter them but we haven't tried that as of yet. Honestly what has worked best for several of us is a large plastic trash bag over the drive unit and zip tied at the top. The downside is that you have to remember that it is on and remove before use and then replace when done. If you drain the system using the ezdrain, they wont be able to survive in the system and your bilge pump wont have issues because at this stage of life they are just tiny pin heads or veligers that look like stringy algae. They need water around them to survive which is why our western states promote very adamantly "Clean, Drain and Dry" to try and get them from spreading into non contaminated water. When I come out of Lake Powell with the Cobalt, I have to go through a mandatory inspection station where they make sure I have done the "Clean, drain and dry". No more than a cup full of water is allowed. No mud, no algae deposit, etc. is allowed on boat or trailer. They then "seal" my boat to the trailer with a wire and "contaminated" tag. I am required to either "dry" for 7 days in the summer heat before use, or go through a decontamination process where they run 140 degree hot water through the engine while running to make sure that everything in there is killed by the heat before launching. Fall and spring is 18 days dry time and winter is 30 days. Frequent use will also help you as the continual "heat" through the engine system will keep them cleaned out there. Your biggest issue will be the attachment of them to the surf tabs, the drive, and on the hull itself. They are nasty little buggers no matter what you do. I personally would not leave my boat in the water with them. We have no choice with the houseboat during summer season, but pulling it out of the water in the winter has helped. The mussels themselves dry out very quickly and become brittle then powerwash off pretty easily other than the algae like stuff they use to attach themselves. It may be a bigger pain but I personally would trailer and launch each time if that is an option until you have the availability of a lift.
Bill Hampton
2021 Cobalt R3
Navy with Yellow Edge stripe, White bottom
350 HP Volvo Evc with Duo Prop
Grand Junction, CO

Lake Powell, UT
Western Colorado lakes
MNStCroix
Lieutenant
Lieutenant

Post by MNStCroix »

Elkhunter thank you for sharing your experience with ZM. I found it helpful. Trailering is not an option for me, and a boat lift is not in my immediate future. My plan for now is frequent use at least 2x week, ezdrain the water from the system after each use, occasional spot checks, and will look into the dock disc product you mentioned. Thanks
Minneapolis, MN
2023 Cobalt R8 Surf